Anybody else annoyed by this trend?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JCUnited, May 1, 2006.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Before I even begin, let me curtail the whining by saying these are minor complaints about certain aspects of their broadcasting.

That sad, anybody else annoyed by the trend of Mr. Dan on ESPN2 and Mr. Charlie for the Dynamo in spending more and more time each week focusing on other sports during games?

Dan seems to be searching for any way to work baseball into the telecasts. He briefly mentioned it once, and I let it slide. The next week, he spends two to three minutes talking baseball while a game is going on.

I've been impressed with Charlie's picking up the sport, since many Houstonites have said he has no real soccer background. I liked his early work. But this past Saturday it seemed like he really wanted to ignore the actual game he is paid to call and focus on the "exciting" NFL draft.

I don't want this in any sports telecast. If I was an NFL fan watching the Colts game, I don't want my announce team spending minutes talking about the upcoming NHL draft, or the NASCAR pole positions.

It's one thing to hype another sport telecast on the channel, but these two are ignoring the game to focus on other sports completely. I have a problem with that. They both have shown improved skills calling the games, but I don't like this trend.

2. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak for Dan, but like you said Charlie is completely new to soccer. It didn't really surprise me with the mention of the Texans since that's a big sports topic in Houston (especially after the #%$%% pick they made). It only lasted a minute. In another game they panned to a camera shot of Minute Maid where he mentioned the Astros were playing. Since it's a broadcast for Houston, I can see that happening, but not in national broadcasts.

3. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Unless this was meant for the Houston forum..... who's Dan and Charlie?

4. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Pallilo does the PBP for FSN Houston broadcasts. Not sure who Dan is.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he means Dave?

As in Dave O'Brien?

6. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    don't know who either of them are. Dave obrien is crap. but i did hear the first HOuston game and it was shocking announcing. I thought i heard him say if it ends tied there is overtime and a shootout. I was like, "there is?" I had to go look it up on google. I swear they sounded like they were talking to 4th graders. I remember hearing the phrase, "If you've never watched soccer before..."

that seemed strange to me because I don't think they'd do that for the a baseball game, or the NBA, even though obviously they get fans who are new to the game. They just talk about the game and expect you to catch up.

I just imagine them announcing an NFL game that way. You know like if they were explaining it to the stereotypical girlfriend who knows nothing about football. (not saying that all women are remotely like that). could you imagine, "For those of you who have never watched American football the ball is not round. That line marks of ten yards. Now they player is called a left tackle even though as an offensive tackle it would be a foul if he actually tackled the his opponent."

7. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crime is that we have a great announcer in Houston with Glen Davis but he works for HDNet. Davis played for the (original) Dynamos back in the day and would be great.

Pallilo, on the other hand...

[​IMG]

8. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I think pallilo is doing a good job sure he is not great but i have heard others that were terrible. I think with time Pallilo will get better, give him time.

9. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, Dave O'Brien. Sorry, it was late last night.

I can forgive Mr. Charlie a bit for it, since you have the Houston-Houston connection. But when he was ignoring the game to ask Robin Fraser if he follows NFL, it was a bit too much. It was like he was saying "This game is not exciting enough for me to pay attention to. Y'know what I really like? NFL football!"

Like I said, overall they both have done admirable jobs with limited knowledge of the game. I also respect that they are trying to learn each and every week.