Any update on Expansion?

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 21, 2005.

1. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the fact that we play in the shadow of the Kodak corporate HQs and use their lots for event parking, Kodak is nothing more than a corporate sponsor. Not even a major sponsor. A local real-estate firm is the shirt sponsor and HSBC bank has their name on our shorts. I'm sure Kodak will have some sort of corporate suite in our new stadium but I doubt they'll go beyond that.

It would probably help them to get a beter market share in the world digital camera market if they could get sponsorship with a soccer team. But the Rochester Rhinos even in the MLS aren't going to do that.

Xerox, the founders of photocopying technology also have their world HQs in Rochester as does contact lense giant Bausch&Lomb.

Also despite the fact that Kodak is the biggest employer in the area, it has laid off more than half of it's work force in the past 20 years. So there are probably more disgruntled former Kodak employees in the area than there are current employees.

There are many better sources of money for an MLS bid in the area. One is Constellation Brands the worlds largest conglomerate of wine and spirits brands, owned by a local family (not a public company). One is Tom Golisano, billionaire founder of Paychex Inc, and of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres, and a likely Republican candidate for NY state Government once the current governor leaves office. Another is the Wegman family who owns the Wegman's Suppermarket Chain, one of the highest rated Supermarket Chains in the country and the highest rated company to work for in the United States. Another source of funding could be from Rochester natives Joel Glazer and his father Malcolm who still have residences in the area and who have opened offices for their NFL team in the area as well. There are many many sources for current owner Frank DuRoss to connect with to come up with the money for an MLS team.

2. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Dude Lynx are MINOR League. Toronto is not into Minor League sports.

3. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Kodak's not struggling with digital imaging, they're #1 in the US Market in digital camera sales, unfortunately none of those digital cameras are made in the United States and have very little outside of the R&D surrounding them to do with Rochester.

Kodak's employees, on the other hand, are hurting from the switch from film to digital imaging. Most of the 25 to 30 thousand employees who were forced out (early retirement or layoffs) have found new jobs, especially with the 20-30 Kodak off-shoot companies, but most of the new jobs don't pay as well and offer the same benefits afforded Kodak employees in the boom years.

4. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Thanks to everyone, specially to drew_VT_6 for the wide and accurate answer he gave. About that, Glazer ... the ones who bought recently the main packet of the Manchester United ?! I'm sure the answer is yes ...

OT
    Looking to this situation, I can't avoid to make a comparison with my hometown soccer team. Modena is a medium size city with a rich industries background: from motors to tiles to food, lot of people in Modena and surrounds have deep pockets and high visibility. Despite that, we struggled in the recent past to find a local owner willing to put some money on the table and build up something good, someone able to let us make that step ahead. The actual owner doesn't come from Modena, to confirm that.

A part from that, I didn't know about Kodak situation, probably they have now something better to care about than become a major sponsor with the Rhinos. But damn is it possible that no one wants to help DuRoss make the big step and take mls to Rochester?

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like for example indoor lacross.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No they are not involved. I don't even think that they are a sponsor of the team.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Glazer didn't give a crap about soccer in Tampa, where he controls everything, why would he give a crap about one in Rochester?
    ~bitter Floridian MLS fan

8. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's put it this way, before next April, Rochester has nowhere for an MLS team to realistically play games. FDR has stated once the stadium is done he will put time, energy and money into securing an MLS team. Once he puts his mind to it, I am sure he can easily secure the necessary funding.

By the way go to:
    http://photos.rhinossoccer.com/index.php?cat=1

to see the latest photos of our new stadium scheduled to open next spring.

9. modenafc1912

modenafc1912 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Modena, Italy
    Club:
    Modena FC
  10. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    Hate to nitpick, but I think the headquarters are actually in Connecticut.

11. UVanMathias

UVanMathias New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Livonia, NY
    Just to clear things up.

12. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? I know they did move the the headquarters to Stampford but I am pretty sure about a year ago they moved back to Rochester. I thought I heard and read about that. When was the last time wikipedia was updated?

13. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's correct go to Xerox.com

14. dominiond

dominiond New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Because of significant tax breaks....World Quarters of Xerox were relocated From Rochester to Stamford, Conn. back in 1969. Presently only a few hundred empoyees work at their HQ....but the "meat and potatoes" of Xerox remain in Rochester, NY. Over 10,000 people work in Rochester ...administration, manufacturing and Reseach and development. There were rumors floating around regarding Xerox moving back to Rochester a few years ago...but it remains in Stamford, Conn.

15. slippy627

slippy627 Member

Apr 17, 2006
    NY
    any new news??

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a video clip on PaeTec Park. GM Matt Ford says it makes "the MLS" a viable option.

Channel 13 Tour of PTP