Any Rumors On Barcelona coming to the Bay Area to play the Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Korsaaven, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thumb's up!

2. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    I can't wait to hear the songs!

3. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona expected to play at Candlestick in Quakes Doubleheader

8/8/09 - Quakes v Columbus at 5:30, Foreigners follow. Haven't named the MFL opponent yet.

Never seen soccer at Candlestick. It will be nice to have another alternative big venue in the area.

Hopefully Quakes v Columbus is a good show and we can capture some new MLS fans.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Glad to see a top team come and play in a double header with our boys. But I am a tad sad to see a game moved from Buck Shaw to Candlestick. Still the potential benefits far outweigh any downside.

5. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Arggh!! Candlestick?? It is a PAIN getting home from 49ers games at the Stick. For once I'm hoping the attendance is low for these games so that I don't have to spend the usual 2 hours getting home from a game at the Stick. I guess it's better than playing in Oakland and having the diamond in the middle of the pitch but couldn't they strike a deal with Stanford? They're obviously open to hosting futbol matches since Inter and Chelsea are playing there this summer.

I know we would have lost by 10 goals but I would have liked that our Quakes be the ones playing Barca. Maybe our boys could have learned a thing or two about how to play the game.

6. cfong42

cfong42 New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Danville, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Earthquakes' official Twitter:

"Quakes vs. Columbus Crew at 5:30 and FC Barcelona vs. CD Guadalajara (Chivas) at 8:00 p.m. PT both at Candlestick Park on Sat. Aug. 8"

Frankly, I'm pretty excited, and this is what I was hoping for (though I was pulling for Stanford, not the Stick). Based on the dates, it wasn't really practical or feasible for us to being playing Barcelona; the next best thing, especially for exposure, was to have a doubleheader. So count me in!

7. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona is playing Chivas.....the real Chivas not the LA Chivas..

Not sure what the soccer set up at Candlestick will be like....but there should be some great tail-gating going on in the parking lot before the game ! :D

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same as the set-up for football, except with the soccer markings and goals.
    [​IMG]

Quakes played Club America there in 2002. The 49ers have their first preseason home game on 8/14, so there shouldn't be gridiron marking interfering on 8/8.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly I'm glad it's not the Quakes playing Barca. We can barely handle a USL team right now, a game vs Barca would be embarrassing. This way the guys get to play their regularly scheduled regular season game, then watch Barca after the game to get some pointers and and idea as you say about how to play the game.

10. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    Season ticket holders will be sent comparable seats with opt to buy more. I was at the FCB Chivas Guad double-header in LA a few years ago and it was a blast. Looking forward to it and glad to see SJEQ doing something big time.

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Barcelona brings their star players...

As for soccer at The Stick--Quakes played Club America in September 2002 so it's the second time they've made an appearance. The only tip I can say seeing past Giants and 49ers games at that venue is bring a jacket--it gets windy!

This might be one where athmosphere is going to count for a lot.

12. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

The only difference I see from the throw-ball setup is that the pitch wont be right next to the lower east stands.

[​IMG]

13. Korsaaven

Korsaaven New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    any news where and when the tickets are going to be on sale?

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    June 22nd according to the Quakes website for the general public. Season ticket holders can purchase extra tickets now.

15. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    Season ticket holders will be mailed new tickets for the Columbus game that, theoretically, correspond with what we have at Buck Shaw.

Barca will bring and play their top stars as would Inter at Stanford. I've been to a few of these friendlies and every time the starters played at least one half. It's a pre-season tune-up so they're anxious to go full speed.

16. Korsaaven

Korsaaven New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Im glad they were able to come out with this double-header! It's a better product than Barca vs Galaxy or Barca vs Sounders.

17. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008

Add shit talkin to the bitchass hater, so its shit talkin bitchass hater. So I guess your not going to Barca game at Candle Stick because they're from europe and there will be a lot of "Eurosnobs" there huh. I dare you to talk your shit there.

18. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    My family has been a Barca fan for years even before the Quakes started playing and we take our annual stroll to Trav. de les corts placa to watch Barca play. And you got FKRS talking shit because we happen to follow the club.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more. While LA and Seattle losing to Barca might be interesting to Scum and Seattle fans, I'd rather watch two teams that are on more equal footing play. Seeing the Quakes get demolished by Barca holds no interest for me. A double header was the perfect solution.

20. Korsaaven

Korsaaven New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    it would have been nicer if pumas were barca's opponents ! i read somewhere that pumas was actually one of the choices but chivas got the nod.

21. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is closed. The tone and language were deteriorating rapidly and besides it's not a rumor any more.