Any reason for us to follow the MLS or USL

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    another season upon us, do you guys see any reason for the Portuguese to support the community team, places like New Jersey, New England, San Jose, or how about the Canadians in the East, do they follow the Montreal, Toronto teams, or in the West the Vancouver Whitecaps

2. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I wouldn't say I really follow, but a good friend of mine plays for the Montreal Impact (2004 A-League Champs :) ) and I do go watch some home games in the summer with the rest of the boys.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I saw the final, you guys got a nice team, and a big improvement in attendance

I buy the TV package of games by the MLS, but because no portuguese play on the team, I only paid to go about 3 games a year, the Cosmos with Seninho, Casa dos Presentes and Tucha Gift Shop use to sell 5,000 tickets along

4. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    We had a pretty solid team this year, and doing well usually puts fans in the seats. But I think the biggest factor for the Claude Robillard Centre being sold out was because of the Euro. Everytime there's a Euro or a World Cup, there's a buzz all over the city. Just like in TO, crazed people roam the streets honking and drinking and people get into the sport a lot more. Besides, Montreal has a huge mix of ethnicities. Italians, Portuguese, Greeks :mad: , French, Mexican, Spanish...

5. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I like the MLS and hope that they succeed into becoming the next 'big league' in the United States. I don't really follow any MLS team closely, but I do watch MLS games sometimes on TV. I think the league has improved over the years and should continue to improve. It would be nice if MLS signed a few Portuguese players. I wonder why they haven't signed any players from Portugal? I think some players like Hugo Leal, Dani, and others could be good players for MLS clubs. Also, like Frank said, it could be good marketing for the MetroStars, the Revolution, and the Earthquakes since there is a large Portuguese population in the area those teams play in.

6. Resendes

Resendes New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    MLS teams can't afford euro talent.
    Europe is soccer heaven and there's plenty of money to be made even at the lower levels.
    The MLS will need major corporate sponsors and television deals in order to compete with Europe.

When the MLS comes to Toronto then I will support it and from what I've heard they will be hear very soon. :)

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It won't happen unless the CSL and the Toronto Argos get a corperate sponsor.

The plans are very iffy for a new 30 000 seat stadium. Maybe if some company dishes out some millions, the MSL will see true potential in a Toronto team.

8. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The stadium part of it is already taken care of. All we need now is the team.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Really? Last i heard, they were still some municipal issues with land....

I'm really hoping they build this dam stadium. i remember U of Toronto wanted to build a 20 000 to 30 000 seat Varsity Stadium but in order to do so, they would up the students tuition by 20 - 40%. Guess what all the students voted....

10. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I have followed MLS and the Revs since its inception, and am very hopeful, and cautiously optimistic, of its long term success.

As far as the lack of Portuguese players, Resendes hit the nail on the head, MLS does not have the money to sign any well-known Portuguese players. And I don't feel that they have to attract Portuguese players necessarily, they need to put a quality product on the field. And the product is improving every year. Clearly, SSS's are key to MLS' long-term future.

11. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    The problem is FIFA frowns on leagues containing teams from more than one country. It can be done, but I think there are other American cities (Philadelphia, Houston, Rochester to name a few) that are a higher priority in MLS' plans than Toronto.

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I guess if it doesn;t come from from Portugal its not good.
    There are a lot of good talented Portuguese kids now playing in lower levels here, give them the change, supporters will follow.

13. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    The Revs brought in Carlos Semedo two seasons ago, but he didn't stick with the team, he's in the A-League now, I believe with Rochester.

14. Sporting4ever

Sporting4ever New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    NEW YORK/Viseu
    I occasionally watch MetroStars games on TV, and maybe go to like 2-3 a year, but in all fairness i do prefer the Superliga much more, because although the talent level in the US is improving it still can't be compared to that of the major European leagues. Just a side note....i think the Metrostars drafted a Portuguese player in this or last years draft.

15. Sporting4ever

Sporting4ever New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    NEW YORK/Viseu
    SRY...but i just found some info on the guy, his name is Johnny David and he played for Fairleigh Dickinson University, was born in Portugal and his parents are Maria and Augusto David.

16. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree that there are alot of very talented players in the youth levels here in the United States, and some of them are Portuguese. I hope MLS is able to produce soccer stars that will be known throughout the United States, if not the world.

What I meant before is that players in Portugal right now have name recognition with the Portuguese communities in the United States, so for marketing reasons it would be smart for MLS to sign a Portuguese player from Portugal.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    he signed a contract with Desp. Chaves, his been in Portugal since last October

18. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here is one of the problems with MLS, my son who is a decent youth soccer player doesn't aspire to play in the MLS...

Like most kids that are knowledgable about soccer he would love one day to play in Europe...

We need to have these kids one day want to play for DC United or the MetroStars...

I am sure given the oppurtunity in a few years he will jump at the chance to play in the MLS, but the prestige is not there yet...

When in the States I do attend a game from time to time, but after watching games in Portugal, Spain and England it is just too much of a step down...I do look forward to one day were, the US stadiums will be full and the quality of play rivals that of Europe and South America...

19. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Enrol him in the Sporting youth academy...http://www.sporting.pt/Info/Academia/Academia.asp

20. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He actually has been there to practice, but he is still too immature to spend all his time there...

He spent 2 weeks there with Footescola a very good program for youth soccer players...

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    when Cisco was alive he use to bring the Metrostars to the Portuguese Club, before opening day, I don't think they continue

Sakie the general Manager and President of the Metrostars, a ex Goalkeeper of Belenenses, married to a portuguese didn't do anyting of late to captivate the portuguese soccer fan, he could reach a agreement with any portuguese team if he so desires, in my opinion should be his ex team Os Belenenses, so they could bring some U23 players to play for a season , and not count for a spot on the roster,

22. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He first played at Nantes in France, he also played with the NY Arrows indoors before spending I think a year in Portugal like you wrote for Belenenses..

He played GK for the University of New Haven...He also played for the Tampa Bay Rowdies when they were in the APSL and later became their GM.

He is a good guy and a smart GM.

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm disappointed on him he could do more to bring some portuguese players at minimum cost, all he had to do his called the Belenenses offices, they have a nice youth program

24. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it would go against what they are trying to do, and that is foster the young "American" player and give them a place to play...we will probably see a veteran from the Superliga before we see a young player..I know that they had given thought to bringing Joao Pinto here...

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

last year they got a brazilian, and a Costa Rica and another player, so its been done, forget about Joao Pinto his in loved and she got money