Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Jason Keris rated him and two others more than Pepi. LOL.

2. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dallas does lose Pepi next window, I could see them taking a flyer on Soto… not sure what the allocation process is for him. But he could potentially give them a low risk-high reward replacement who plays a similar style.

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    From the little that is out there it sounds like it's a mixture of receiving bad advice from people around him and Sebastian just needing to humble himself a bit.

In fairness Soto was viewed by many as our top 9 prospect not that long ago. It seems like everything just went south after the PSV move fell through. Became a distraction at Hanover, and it has been all downhill sense. Still a young player. Just again needs to put the work in

Deeneaus repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    21.5 already and bench for Porto B is rough.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I always thought and still believe that Soto is a product of Ledezma. So, ye,s PSV or dust.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Good thread here..

1484407882577702914 is not a valid tweet id

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing what 18 months can do to someone's career.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in youth tournaments, he seemed very stiff. I'm not surprised he's not effective against adults.

10. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The Porto move is done. Soto is now off to Livingston

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    “Livingston boss David Martindale told his club’s official website: “Sebastian was on our radar in the summer but we missed out to Porto but it hasn’t quite worked out for him over in Portugal and the opportunity came up again a few weeks ago and fortunately this time, we’ve been successful.

“He is a really exciting signing for us. He comes with a fantastic CV and I’m looking forward to seeing how he adapts to Scottish football and as a manager, I’m relishing the opportunity to work with him and see what he can bring to the club.

“Sebastian has made a lot of sacrifices to make the move to Livingston happen so it’s refreshing to see the desire from the player to come up and play with ourselves in the Scottish Premiership.”

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I recently saw an interview with an academy player who is on the youth squad for Venezia. He is an American of Portuguese heritage and was previously in the Porto academy, IIRC. He said that Portuguese clubs are extremely nationalistic about roster decisions, that all ties break in favor of the local boy, and sometimes better players are left on the bench. He said it wasn’t anti-Americanism, but a general higher hurdle for foreign players.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly involving a young chicken and a voodoo doll of his Porto coach.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Livingston FC, I presume? Sebastian Soto ventures into the Scottish Premiership

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is so obvious when you review how yanks have done in portugal historically.

the playing field isnt level. and playing time isnt objectively doled out.

pros and cons to this ....the portugeuese national team benefits in the end...but the club teams - while strong - arent as strong as they culd be and havent done much lately in euro competitions

people need to know this! especailly those transferring to euro teams, judging american players in europe etc....NOT all euro leagues/countries do things "fairly" or "objectively".....

certain teams/leagues are much better than others for american players - and that choice can make ALL the difference in the career outcome of that player.

it shouldnt be seen as just go to the highest bidder - like it seems MLS is wont to - find the best fit.

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. I'm making an executive decision on this one. :D

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1842 m vann, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Interesting move for Soto. I really hope this is the move that can jump start a stalling career. There is time to salvage things but time is ticking. Livingston is having a down season after finishing a couple of years in the 5th and 6th spot. They are 7 points above the drop zone but a few points could further help their case. I would assume Soto can get some minutes right off the bat as they struggle to score. They are pretty good defensively and have a fairly respected manager in David Martindale so they have that going for them. Big opportunity for Soto. Let's hope this is a positive loan.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johan Gomez, older bro of Jonathan Gomez, said something very similar about his time in Porto B. IIRC, he said something to the effect that often it did not matter how well he played or performed in trainings and/or matches because the Portuguese players were favored.

19. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    If he plays lots of minutes and scores a good number of goals- very good move.
    (given circumstances)

If he does not get minutes and does not get goals.....then HELLOOOOOO MLSSSSSSSSS

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto is better than C. Ramirez IMO.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like USL Championship...... but yeah.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 21 year old, who has 2 goals for the national team. You think that is a USL player?

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The cruelest of fates. :(

24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This is unspeakable! Shame on you. :mad:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1850 bshredder, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Club careers tend to carry more weight over club future.

I think he'll do okay in Scotland.. but if he doesn't? He's in trouble. I am not sure how you can say he'd be above USL if it gets to that point.

A few goals against a very subpar Panama team doesn't change that.

superdave, adam tash, m vann and 2 others repped this.