Any other America's Best Dance Crew viewers out there?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by afgrijselijkheid, Apr 22, 2012.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It seems a longshot, but certainly there are a few ABDC nuts out there ready to discuss what looks to be a very competitive season 7 as it unfolds.

For the uninitiated: Week 3 (a ka the first official week of the "World Cup finals" of breaking, popping, locking, housing and all the other styles) airs Wednesday night on MTV.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's still hard to top the season one winner.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    That's true, but I like to watch the others all try. After all, Shane Sparks said they set the standard for the next 10 seasons - that would put us three away from somebody topping them. He may have been right.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    So... umm... this is that awkward moment when I ask what has Shane Sparks been up to recently?

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    If I'm not mistaken, he's been working as a choreographer again recently. A while back, he issued an open letter to the ABDC community.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Back when a lot of stuff was coming out I remember hearing he had been lying about his age all these years. How old is he?

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    No clue. Wiki says 42.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I admit I've caught up with it. I don't like all of the young crews or international teams (I expect America's Best Dance Crew to actually be... wait for it... American). Too much of the show looks like high school dance teams doing "hip-hop."

I've seen them do too many halftime shows.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I look past the youth aspect to stay objective (besides, both Flavahz and RNG have the ability to smash, far more than the float-by-on-playing-the-crowd Iconic Boyz ever did) and have liked some of the international crews a lot (most notably, Blueprint Cru from season 5, who were straight murder almost every week). Still, I agree this season has lacked that certain "je ne sais quoi" for the most part so far. I hate the superstars set-up, mostly because they pick wretched superstars and then a terrible selection of each artist's songs. What's more, I see so little of the inventive storytelling artistry that dominated the best seasons and recall the greatest crews we've seen (Jabbawockeez, Kaba Modern, Quest Crew, Beat Freaks, Poreotics, Blueprint, etc.). This season is very deep with talent, but I'm still waiting for these crews to really let it all hang out.

Through three rounds, no one has been able to match Mos Wanted Crew's initial performance. I sincerely hope the best routine of the season doesn't end up coming from round one.... but maaaaaan, was it killer.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Here's another problem I've noticed. Before last season, the limit was seven members in a crew. Of the six previous champs, three had six members (Jabba, Poreotics & Super Cr3w), while one had just five (We Are Heroes).

This season, many of the crews have eight members. Frankly, I think that little stage is being cluttered and it's hard to see all at once everything that they're doing as TV viewers (and the notoriously schizo ABDC camerawork never helps).

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I meant to add more geography complaints to my last post. I hate how regionalized the show is. They can get "International" crews, but they can't get a real sampling of the East coast or much outside of California and a couple studios?

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Well, to be fair, many of the best dancers from elsewhere head to LA.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Wednesday's show was decent. All three rounds so far have been decent. I'm still waiting for the "HOLY CRAP, I NEED TO RE-WATCH THAT 42 TIMES IN A ROW" to arrive. It's only a shame Inside The Box didn't audition again (after inexplicably being rejected three times) and my girls Diamonds In The Rough were unable due to the timing. They both come out to smash. Someone needs to scare the pack next week, raise the game.

Sadly, it's flippin' J-Lo week. Still waiting on JayZ week...