Any numbers?/TV ratings?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by kingjackdaniel, Nov 16, 2004.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Hankinson is gone. Hopefully Andrulis and Nichol this year. If we're lucky maybe Gansler will retire.

2. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Have they? Think about it. The Fires attendance didn't look very impressive this year. I also hear a lot of Fire fans complain that not as many Polish fans come out as they used to.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When your up against NFL, NASCAR, and golf the older generation has taken over the tube. The newer generation were too busy out getting pooty tang, drinking tang, and playing soccer. We have a ways to go, but it will happen. It takes balls to go up against NFL and NASCAR alone, add in golf a .8 is not bad.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Balls or stupidity.. One or the other..

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just found some relatively good evidence that the defensive play is not a result of players and teams not trying hard to win, but rather because they are trying hard "not to lose."

That evidence is detailed in a new thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3616972#post3616972

With that said, I'd now prefer to discuss it there, since this thread was about TV ratings.

Sorry for hijacking it, guys.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Good call... As great as my points are, this isn't the thread for em :)..

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Hummmmmmmmmmm that's too bad and probably true. Used in tandem with a good format, bonuses would provide strong incentive. Oh well...

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, just stupidity. Stupidity with logic behind it, but still stupid.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    But their early Polish attendance was a wet dream; blatant ethnic pandering hardly ever works so well, so fast.

11. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but a ratings point is a percentage of TV households in the United States. Since the number of households increases every year, the number of households within each point increases every year. A 1.4 now would be worth more than a 1.4 in 1999. Thus, the audience is probably about the same size. It hasn't gone up, it hasn't decreased appreciably, it's just remained flat. There's your silver lining.

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with many of the other posters.

games do not have creative urgency. the DCU vs. NE game was the highlight of the season for me. amazing TV atmosphere and im sure it was crazy in thestands as well. the mls cup final had great support from DC fans as well.

but play off games are the only time of year in this league that fans feel any sense of desire for a win.
    with only 1 team from each division not moving on its sort of dull.

i dont know how they plan on doing it next year because i havent been to up to date with the expansion deal, but they should keep it like it is. have two teamsnot making it from each side.