any interest in retro-style DCU jerseys?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by hala-cosmos, Jul 6, 2005.

1. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    I've been working on a few t-shirt designs, one of which is for toffs-style (i.e. retro) united jerseys. I've got to make the screen for printing first, and i figured id try and see if enough people on BS would be interested to make any further work worthwhile.

All i have at the moment are sketches, but i should have a better design done using photoshop this weekend/next week.
    my thought is that they'd come out similar to this, but with different colors, of course. just a basic design with a badge (which may bear a likeness to the original badge) and the trademark horizontal stripes (more likely to be just a single, broad stripe, in case adidas gets lawsuit happy)
    [​IMG]

use your imagination.

I'm also toying with the idea of printing up some hoodies and track/jogging jackets with a similar design and some form of printing on the back. This will be a homemade operation, so be well aware that there may be a certain 'rustic' quality to some of the shirts. Everything i've printed in the past has come out great, though, just not quite as slick as a professionally done shirt using a heated press, etc. A portion of the proceeds will go to United for DC. cost will depend on where i get the materials from. I'm thinking of ordering the shirts from american apparel, but that may be cost-prohibitive for both myself and anyone buying the shirt.

also of note...

I live right in arlington, so if i did decide to 'pull a liam' y'all could easily hunt me down and... file a class-action lawsuit.

anyway, let me know who would be interested and what size/how many you'd be buying.

thanks, and fvck the metros

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    One question: Doesn't 'retro' imply a throwback to an old design that is no longer used? It doesn't sound that way.

If what you're doing is coming up with completely new designs, but made with the look of old jerseys, I'd be interested if you did a long-sleeve black one with a diagonal stripe. It should have the old, old logo, the one that was never used. See Knave's avatar.

3. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    yeah, there obviously isn't a 'retro' DC template to follow since 1996 is as retro as we get. i just thought it would be cool to have a different style of jersey. and yeah, i was planning on using the original logo or something similar. Is the picture throwing you off? it was the closest i could find to what i'm trying to accomplish.

i was thinking of doing a vertical striped white jersey as a nod to the '98 road jersey

4. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    No, the picture isn't throwing me off, but your last sentence is a contradiction, no? You originally said 'horizontal', but now you're talking about a vertical stripe.

Also, are these to be made of t-shirt material?

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I do believe we have a replacement for "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

Sorta like "Go To Hell, DUKE!!" at the end of the UNC Fight Song - Regardless of who they're playing, the song always ends the same way

6. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    i appreciate the thought, but being compared to UNC in any capacity hurts my soul.

no, the road jersey idea in the later post was a seperate design i'm working on.
    and yeah, i said in the first line of my post that they were 't-shirt designs', so it's implicit.

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Cat in the Hat jersey!

Sachin

8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Would love to bring back the away Top with the vertical black stripes on em...

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    FYI: This is the Cat in the Hat jersey:

[​IMG]

and the jersey Natty referred to:

[​IMG]

Someone with more talent than me should put together a history of United jerseys.

Sachin

10. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Ah so. More than one idea in a post confuses me.

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

If this happened I would finally buy a jersey. Not that I have any problem with any DC jersey just that one is my absolute favorite.

12. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone have a picture of the pink jerseys? I know they were really red, but they reminded me of .... of... of.... whose that italian team who wears pink?

13. hohomonkey

hohomonkey New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Palermo wears pink

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Amen! (Long sleeved preferably.)

15. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    yeah, the cat in the hat jersey seems a little beyond my means, sorry.

16. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the Cat In The Hat jersey has one advantage if adidas no longer sponsors DCU: no three-stripe theme. Although my own brand-name loyalty has run strongly to the trois-bandes for nigh on thirty years and was just another reason to fall in love with DCU, a switch to another brand (preferably not Nike) would work okay.

I think the black-on-white sash theme of Vasco da Gama would be great, a nostalgic reference to Dips days.

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I like the idea of all three long sleeve jerseys proposed thus far, i.e. white with vertical black stripe, black with horizontal stripe and cat in the hat.

Additionally, I believe Knave pointed out (in another thread a while back) that the copyrights for the original logo (never used) and for the menacing eagle logo, both expired. So, they can both be used.

18. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I am definitely down for a black long-sleeved shirt with perhaps a red diagonal sash (akin to the US 1950 WC shirt). Or a black l-s with a red horizontal stripes would work too. Both with red cuffs and old school v-neck collar.

In either case, a black shirt w/red contrast would be bada$$.

Also, the retro US warm-up style here, but in DC black with a red stripe would be tough:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/ussoccerstore_1849_3383

(if someone knows how to add the above picture to a post, please do)

Also, the retro ITALIA and JAMAICA warmups would be a good starting point for a DC UNITED jacket.

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one word: collars -- if collars are financially viable & praticable, that is.

you might be able to get away with the "Michigan State" tri-stripe pattern (a broader middle stripe between two narrower stripes) in lieu of the addias tri-stripe because it's such a common stripe pattern that I can't believe that it could be copyrighted (someone needs to check it out, maybe). i personally think that a black "Michigan State" tri-stripe would look cool on a white vertical-striped shirt or as a white tri-stripe on a black shirt.

and you gotta use knave's avatar.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Better picture ...

[​IMG]