Any interest in getting ArseAm rugby shirts made?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I was killing time on the internet this weekend and started looking at rugby jerseys, and it dawned on me that that might be something people might be interested in.

Rick, is this something you could perhaps give your blessing to? I'll be glad to do all the research on it and get an estimate. From what I've seen we're talking about $50 - $60 each, which isn't bad considering an authentic shirt will set you back $65 - $80.

We can get them custom made through either Barbarian or Canterbury of NZ at a fairly decent price if we can get 15 - 20 folks in on the deal.

I know most guys wear their tops when they go out to the pub to catch a match, but a rugby you could wear any other time and not those funny looks that we all sometimes get from our fellow Americans (and Canadians). It also might get some of the Gooners out there who don't know about ArseAm to.

If there's any interest (and our beloved President bestows upon us his blessing) we can get something together fairly soon.

Actually, there's only about a 6 week lead time to get them done, so the lucky dogs going on the pilgrimage to Highbury would look pretty sweet, indeed.

Let me know, Rick, and those that are interested send me a PM. After we get a basic idea of who's in, then we can put 5 or 6 designs together and have a vote on which one to get.

I've got about 5 Barbarian's "Uglies", and they are a very high quality shirt, plus they have size them up to XXXL so those of us who are more man than an authentic Arsenal jersey will allow can get involved (Canterbury goes up to a New Zealand 4XL which is an American 3XL). Canterbury's shirts are perhaps even better than Barbarian as far as quality, plus they have a few more options as far as style goes.

Let me know what everyone thinks.

2. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    I think this is a great idea Coach. I personally like Canterbury best. Keep us updated on any developments.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Did someone say rugby? :)

I'm down for it. BTW can we make sure we get short sleeves as well. I want to show off Arsenal America, but dont want to pass out doing so during the Texas summer.

4. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Good call. I think this is a great idea.

And if we get short sleeves as well, I'll probably buy two.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Yes, we can get both short and long sleeves, plus if any of you are totally nuts we can have a patch panel number put on as well.

Rick, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, so you, of course, have the final authority on this. My figuring was that it's something Arsenal you can wear that would be a great way for people to learn about ArseAm.

First design thought I had was the web address embroidered (sp?) right below the collar in the back. that's definetely something people would ask about. Also, was there ever a ruling concerning the use of the old crest? Didn't the UK courts rule that the old crest was public domain? I seem to remember that being bandied about when Arsenal was in the process of changing crests. I know the new one is copyrighted for sure.

Anyway, old Arse crest, ArseAm logo, perhaps a small US and Canadian flag on one sleeve?

Guys, jump in with any ideas.

If you want to take a look at the styles, here are the sites I was looking at:

Barbarian Jersey Builder (directly from their site. Prices on the Barbarians are in the $35 to $40 range before embroidery, so figure at about $50 or so for the finished product):

http://www.barbarian.com/index.cfm?app=order

Canterbury of NZ (this company, RugbyTeamWear.com) has about the best prices, and their site layout of the shirts is a bit better. Here you can really see the overall look. RugbyTeamWear also produces their own line of jerseys that are available here as well. Pricing on the Caterbury's is in line with what the Barbarians would cost us. RugbyTeamWear's house brand looks to be about $10 less across the board.)

http://www.rugbyteamwear.com/default.asp?ID=2

OK, now to start pushing off target:

If any of you want a shirt just to wear , American Rugby has Barbarian "Wild Ones" (Uglies), 2 for $39. You can't touch a Barbarian shirt for anything under $50, so if you want a unique shirt that nobody else is going to have to wear wherever, this is it. I've dealt with American Rugby several times. Their shipping is timely, they follow up all orders via e-mail, and they have great deals on stcock jerseys as well. BTW, you can mix and match short and long sleeves with American.

Here's their address: www.americanrugby.com . Just look in their "Stock Jerseys" section and you'll find the "Wild Ones".

For Canterbury "Uglies", try RedRhino ( http://www.redrhinosports.com/cgi-bin/RRS.storefront/3f8300ce07b0450e273fd88e19a40676/Catalog/1002 ) or go directly to the source at http://www.canterburyofnz.com/catalogue/products.mhtml?ProdID=B989928# . Caenterbury's online shop has the "Uglies" up to 4X while RedRhino stocks up to 3X. The shirts are $30 at Rhino and $38 at Canterbury. Canterbury runs about a size small ( I know from personal (and emotionally devastating) this to be true).

Maybe I should finish this post at BigRugby.com... ;,)

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled soccer posting.

6. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Coach,

I like the initiative and am not opposed to the idea in theory. Here are my reservations:

One of our founding tenets was that Arsenal America not be a membership fee-based club. Anybody can join for the low, low price of zero.

However, we are currently running our 'first annual Arsenal America pledge drive" so that we can get a true ArseAm flag to take with us to games, show off in US pubs, etc. While no one is obligated to donate, it would be great if everyone did. Even a dollar. Also, earlier this year we trotted out some ArseAm gear (that I ended up not being too happy with, but that's another story).

So, I feel like I/we've already tapped up members for a couple of things this year and am therefore a tad gunshy about cranking something else up right now.

With that being said, I really do like the idea. One of my favorite shirts is an England national team rugby that I picked up a couple of summers ago in London.

Would it be ok if we waited on this for just a little while? I suppose if public demand was overwhelming we could do it for the holidays. Coach, can you send me an email with some details (manufacturer's site link, costs, testimonials, etc.)? rick@arsenalamerica.com

Thanks,

7. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well I'm not artist, but I'll try to make a design or two and shoot them over.

Oh and now that you mentioned numbers, this is getting even better. :D

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Not a problem at all, Rick. Check my massive, rambling post above for the place, RugbyTeamWear.com. They seem to have the best prices and the largest selection of styles available. I've never dealt with them as I normally buy from AmericanRugby.com (dirt cheap Barbarian Uglies), but I'm sure we can get some sort of feedback on them.

As you know, Rick, I defer to you. I didn't think about the trip, the banner, and everything else that folks are shelling out for (not to mention everyone going on the Highbury trip). If we wait until after the new year I'm sure by that time we will have input from everyone which will truly make it a "Club" effort.

Again, not trying to step on any toes at all.

9. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like an excellent idea Coach - count me in!

10. Canada Gooner Grl

Canada Gooner Grl New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    East Coast Canada
    I'd be interested in buying one or two in the New Year but not before. Between kid birthdays, Christmas and the whatnot, I'm in "frugal momma mode".

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Me too. I love the idea, but am on a tight budget. If it helps to see who's interested, I'd want two.

12. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Alright, I had a chance to check this out a bit. Still dig the idea. I do think we're going to have to shelve it for a bit of time. Coach, here's what I'm thinking:

I dig the short sleeve Canada jersey from Barbarian. Would LOVE numbers on the back (really like the diamond or square patch with number inside). Like the www.arsenalamerica.com along the back behind the collar. For the left front pocket area (or possibly left sleeve) would want to see the following:

Arsenal

| U.S. Flag | Canada Flag |

America

Also, I'd like to put a poll in the water on ArseAm.com to see what others think of the idea. On some level I'm having a bit of trouble with the "why are soccer supporters wearing rugby shirts?" issue.

Finally, there is the cost issue. If we are to do these properly, I think we are probably looking at $60-75 per shirt. I'm not saying that's a deal breaker, but doing something of lesser quality is not an option. So, that's where things stand. Coach, by the power vested in me by, well, mostly by me, I hearby authorize you to make calls, send emails, get price quotes, post your findings, etc. Don't go too crazy though. I wouldn't want you to knock yourself out then in a month we realize that only 8 people think this is a cool idea.

13. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be in for it, but only after the new year. I'm in "frugal student mode." That's code for "rollin' pennies for gas broke," to quote Jeff Foxworthy.

14. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I'd love to see that and buy one, but I also think we should wait until after the first of the year, as I'm currently in "saving money so I can blow it all in the Arsenal store during the ArseAm trip to Highbury in December" mode:D

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Thank you, Rick. I'll start looking into it, and I think a poll at arsenalamerica.com is very much in order.

I'd also like to get some feedback from our members on what they would like to see on the shirt. One of the things I kept running into is the fact that Arsenal really only has 2 colors (red & white). Every time I have looked at a shirt with any black in it it screams "manUre", so black is out, I think.

The Canada jersey from Barbarian is a s/s two color "wing" design, so we're not going to be looking at a huge cost or long wait time on that, and it's a good design to work with.

Patch numbers will also not be a real problem as we can get them for about $5 each, and they can actually be ordered after our shirts so folks who don't want a # won't have to rip it off their new shirt.

OK, I'll get started on this, and the consensus seems to be "After January 1" when folks would like to get this rolling. Works for me.

16. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Same here Waldman! I'm interested in this until after the year.

Waldman - have you stayed at the hotel you've booked before? I still haven't booked a hotel - probably will wait a little bit. Will have to organize with fellow Roadtrippers who are willing to share a room.

17. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    No I haven't, actually, but I got a really good deal on it (go to either hotels.com or lastminutedeals.com), plus my uncle stays in Kensington all the time when he's in London and said he loves that area. Naggi's also staying there as well, so maybe we can make it the unofficial ArseAmer's hotel!

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Kensington... cheap real estate.. lol~

19. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    You guys may also want to give Bill Shattner's priceline.com a try. I've had nothing but good expreriences with it. Just remember that a four star in the UK is equivalent to 3 star, 3*=2*, you get the idea.