Any hopes of NIL money for soccer players?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by espola, Jul 1, 2021.

1. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Name, image, likeness.

Maybe some free clothes or shoes, at least?

2. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Related to soccer, probably not. U of Portland had a player, pretty good, who left after his 1st year and did tik toks. He moved to some tik tok house or something. Idk if he would have made the same money by staying and playing soccer in college and doing tik toks. He was involved with other big time tik tokkers in the house.

stphnsn repped this.
  3. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see some money being involved here. A lot of these kids have thousands or tens of thousands of followers on Instagram...especially at big brand schools where football/basketball will be out of reach for smaller companies. And remember, this isn't just D1. A lot of D2s/D3s in small towns where top athletes are more of a "big deal" on campus and around town, and that can be swimmers, tennis players, XC runners, etc.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think so.

For the handful of elite players, there could be some shoe money. There certainly could've been more 20 years ago when top prospects almost always played a bit of college soccer.

I also think for players at programs like Indiana or Akron, where the program is a big deal, there'd be some opportunities for some local sponsorships. Not huge money, but I could see a deal for a local restaurant or car dealer.

Will be interesting to see if shoe companies stop paying the coaches to have a program wear their shoes and start paying individual players instead.

espola repped this.
  5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Perhaps an in-name-only "job" at a local business that caters to the college crowd (such as a burger joint or car dealership)?

Chesco United repped this.
  6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Perhaps some local money tied to schools like UCSB or Creighton, where soccer is THE Fall sport. Too soon to tell about UCSD?

On reflection, am I being too hasty about calling soccer a Fall sport?

7. Dr. Venture

Dr. Venture New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Has the NIL vote affected the larger college soccer reform vote?

I guess we won't hear anything about that until 2022, huh?

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NIL is minimal right now. A couple programs got some nice money (The U football and BYU football).

Numbers released by opendorse on "average compensation per athlete" is:
    • DI - $497.81
    • DII - $108.70
    • DIII - $49.87
    • TOTAL - $458.74
    So, sure there's some $1m+ deals out there. Overall, it's what should have been expected..."the rich get richer."