Any good young centre backs who would come to Reading FC?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, May 12, 2003.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    Afternoon people. With the success of Reading this season and MH's presence are there any quality young centre halves in the MLS who would grace the Premiership, consider coming to Reading? Since Upson's departure our average age in that position is about 31 and very little pace. Hopefully God willing we will be in the EPL next season so who would be a good signing?

2. nadpolice9

nadpolice9 New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Boston , MA
    carlos bocanegra, chicago fire

3. Straight Red

Straight Red New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Or Eddie Pope-on-a-rope, for a few years anyway. He's healthy and on his best form in years.

4. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bocanegra is probably a little too good for Reading, even in the Premiership, but if you can get him...

5. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    A little too good?

Please.

Boca could play at Reading and that would be the important thing.

Rumor is his contract is up after this year and depending on his participation and how far the U.S. advances in the Gold Cup and the Confed Cup, he could be very, very close to a Work Permit.

A move to Reading would be good for him.

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Well, isn't a rumor that he's in his final year. Tis reality.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big Bocanegra fan. And he's been dangerous on setpieces for the Nats. He's definitely your man, esp. if Reading is looking for a younger player.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Not that I would recommend Califf over Bocanegra, but to me, he's the next-best American option that fits the desired profile (if Pope is considered too old, which I don't think he should be). Nick Garcia would be another potential fit, although I'd worry that he may not have enough high-level experience to thrust into the Premiership right now and may have a hard time getting into the squad once he got there.

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that bocanegra and mathis are leaving mls for england (or europe depending on their work permit status) after this year and could both help you guys out a lot.

and i have a feeling that the mystery epl loan everyone has been talking about is beasely... so if you guys go up you could possibly pull a guy like him on loan.

10. johnaldo9

johnaldo9 New Member

May 2, 2002
    Bocanegra, Garcia, and Califf would be the youngest and most ready american center backs. With Boca beiing the best option.
    One player who plays in MLS but is not an american is Ryan Nelsen from New Zealand. He originally had planned to bypass MLS and go straight to Europe after his college carreer at Stanford, but instead changed his mind and decided to sign with MLS. He's a tall center back who is a good organizer and good on set pieces.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The only question with Bocanegra is whether he can get the dreaded work permit.

If the criteria is still 75% of national team games the past 2 years, then I don't think he'll make it. If they look at just 2003. he'll be fine but last year he only played in a couple of games.

Bocanegra has 12 camps, 11 of them since the start of 02.

The US played 20 games last year, 5 this year and have 10 more scheduled plus they should play 1-3 more games in the Gold Cup.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Bocanegra plays in all the rest of the scheduled US games AND the US makes the Gold Cup finals. That's 13 gmore games. That would give Bocanegra 24 caps in 02-03. In that time span, the US would have played 38 games so Bocanegra wouldn't have played in 75 percent. (If I've done my math right, 75 percent of 38 is 28.5.)

Now, perhaps the people at the UK labor office will let him slide since he's close and since the WC ended, he's been a regular.

If that doesn't happen, Bocanegra will have to hope the US adds a few more friendlies between the end of the Gold Cup and the end of the winter transfer window to allow him to get closer to 75 percent.

That, or play somewhere in Europe other than England. ANd that would be shame as I think Charles Blackmouth would be a great fit in England.

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Sandon, keep in mind the WP only applies to "A" competitive games...not friendlies as a whole.

http://www.workpermits.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=1591

So from, say, Jan 2002-04, the only games that will count towards a work permit will be the 2002 Gold Cup, the 2002 World Cup, the 2003 Confed Cup, and the 2003 Gold Cup.

If Boca stays healthy, and the US advances past the group stages in both tournaments, he'll be over 75. Did the math earlier today.

13. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Throw in the appeal process that generally accompanies this procedure and the fact that the only reason why he wasn't a part of the World Cup squad was he suffered an injury. He might win an appeal even if his numbers don't add up.

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Well RoyalMan,

Your lads need to win to advance to the playoff final. One thing at a time first.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    the big question: is nicky fit to play wednesday? if so, i think the royals will take care of business

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Royals this spring have thoroughly outplayed wolves twice in a row and lost by a goal both times (imo, which is hugely biased). So we're either due or cursed.
    That said, the money if they're promoted will be heading first towards chadwick on a permanent basis, won't it? After that, we'd need a sure fire center def., and I'm not sure that's CB. He's talented but young and largely untested outside MLS, and watching portsm race past us earlier this year, I'm not so sure he would have made much or a difference.
    Eddie Pope is certainly closer to what they need.
    For that matter, go back in for upson.
    And, for my money _ which is not enough to sign the average 12 year old _ I'd look at Pablo Mas. at defensive mid, which in the EPL will also be a position of need.

17. Russell Rucker

Russell Rucker New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Rated on who could do a job in the Center in EPL.

1.Pope (The Real Deal)
    2.Bocanegra (Speed, Tenacity, Heart)
    3.Garcia (Plays outside but can do a job Inside too)
    4.Hernandez (Shot, Young, Talent)
    5.Pierce (Heart, Heart, Tough, Tough, competitor)
    6.Suarez (Tough, Savy, Lineage)
    7.Jolley (Positioning, a little slower than what you want)
    8.Gbandi (Up and comer but unproven).
    9.Califf (A little too slow maybe).
    10. Lalas (Old but slow) He is good for 4 or 5 Goals a year though :) JK

Thats it in a nut shell for younger talent in MLS.

18. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    And there's always Agoos, who is good for a few goals....

for the other team!;)

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a link somewhere on these boards that Tenirefe is gonna bid for him this summer.

20. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Weren't they supposed to bid for another US player (Beasley??) a couple of years ago? What happened?

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched Sunday's game and thought Reading's centerbacks and the team in general did a good job until Forster got hurt. One goal given up from the left side and one goal from a set piece. In fact, just before Wolves first goal the central defence was beating off attacks like crazy. I agree with the poster who suggested a better d-mid. Or am I just looney?

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Mulrooney was requested by Rayo of Spain for a loan but being turned down by his coach. So he is a good d-mid too to get beside Mastro.

23. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have said, Bocanegra is the guy that fits your description.

I'm _really_ impressed with Carlos' play with the USMNT of late. Gregg Berhalter will probably have a tough time unseating him in the first XI and Berhalter's not a half bad player.

I'd be a little worried that he might initially rack up a few too many cards while adjusting to the EPL as MLS defenders tend to get away with bloody murder alot so therefore continue to maul. Carlos' advantage over the others is that he's capable of defending without mauling.

Great in the air and on set pieces. Nice left foot. Biggest weakness is on the ball. Fast and athletic.

Good luck today in the home leg. I'd like to see you guys go up.

24. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree. It would be great to have Reading in the EPL, along with another quality US goalkeeper.