Any good rebounder/kick wall ideas?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, May 13, 2020.

1. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Looking for something for the basement. Most of the good ones are well over $200. I've seen the "plans" to build your own but definitely not the right guy for that.

2. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not very good at building/construction/etc. either, but I was able to build my own using the plans from kickwalls.com a few weeks ago.

Cost was around $70 - $50 for wood (they cut it to the specifications for me) and $20 for screws. I even had my kids (15, 12 and 10) help out.

It's certainly not perfect - I'm sure people who know what they're doing would do it better - but it's pretty solid. Give it a try!

Attached Files:

3. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I can't remember which "plan" I used a few years back but I took the same approach. Went to the local Home Depot and had them cut the wood to the specifications so all I had to due was screw everything together. We also put a few coats of outdoor paint on it so we could leave it outside and not worry about the weather. You don't need to be particularly handy to follow the instructions, so I wouldn't rule this out if you're looking for a sub-$100 solution.

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kickwalls.com

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    The one from kickwalls.com seems heavy as hell to move around. I'm sure it's solid and long lasting, just looks like a pain to move.

I found some scrap plywood from some old projects. Faceboard and four triangles for the legs. If I was going to start from scratch, I would have made the triangles taller/longer.

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the pandemic, I went to the local Habitat ReStore. I should have bought the stuff, but I didn’t.

They had old coffee table looking wood, but also had some random legs too. When it reopens, I will be headed back to pick up something to makeshift a few tables for my kids.

I will also be building two benches for my garage that will double as kickwalls. Multi-use opportunity and I like the seating for cookouts. I’ll let my kids paint them however they want and just get a pad for sitting, when they’re used for that.

7. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was all set on building one but just went to Home Depot and purchased 4 8 inch tall cinder blocks. They work like an absolute dream. No assembly required. Ball comes back consistently just like a brick wall and u can move them around for different drills. We have 2 side by side in the front and 2 side by side to her right. U can work on passing and opening up receiving off back foot passing with front etc..

bigredfutbol and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  8. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Won't that eventually tear the ball up (the roughness of the cinder blocks)?

9. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    nah and even so we aren't exactly using match balls down in the basement. these produce the best and most consistent rebounding i've seen other than an actual brick wall. i'll take the risk. if anything the cinder blocks actually chip off at the edges.

sam_gordon repped this.
  10. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    we have some heavy duty benches that were built as part of our deck (prior owners). i titled them on the side and they work perfectly.

bigredfutbol and ThePonchat repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son's been using the chain link fence behind home plate at a nearby baseball field, to work on his finishing. We had several old balls from his pre-college years in a chest of "outdoor stuff" on the back patio. He used them all up in a matter of a few weeks--that fence tore the hell out of them.

But they were all older balls he'd already used plenty as a teen, so no big deal. He's bought a couple of new balls, and I believe he's moved on to different drills.