Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Katie!

Katie! New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    [​IMG]

Great stuff. Metabarons and The Incal, too.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i'll have to wait for my birthday...for fathers' day i'm getting these in a boxed set:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and here's something by a local university professor i found very compelling:
    [​IMG]

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pride was awesome. I probably re-flipped through it three or four times after because of the art.

I tried getting into the whole 52 and Countdown series and I just couldn't so I dropped it.

The new Y The Last Man trade came out a month or so ago, I went to the Midtown Comics shop in Grand Central and they didn't have it, since then I didn't have time to go out and buy it. Now I have more time and I'm definitely picking it up.

At the moment I'm catching up with what is quickly becoming my favorite series in Fables. I didn't believe the hype that it may just be the best Vertigo series, even better than Sandman but I have to say I'm willing to put my money down on that too.

I really want to get into some European comics, are there any trades out there in English that I can easily pick up, perhaps on the internet even?

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I read it a few days ago. It's quite good. The series is coming to an end.

I read the first two books or so but I haven't read anything else. I enjoyed it alot especially the Animal Farm story.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fables is excellent and maybe is in the top 5 Vertigo titles of all time but it's not in the top 3. Those would be:

1. Sandman
    2. Preacher
    3. Transmetropolitan

The Metabarons:

[​IMG]

I think there are four volumes.

http://www.amazon.com/Metabarons-Ot...1955614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181860100&sr=1-1

The Incal:

[​IMG]

Two volumes I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Incal-Epic-Co...1510028-1955614?ie=UTF8&qid=1181860100&sr=1-1

The Blueberry Saga:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Blueberry-Sag...1955614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181860257&sr=1-1

But find a better format than this one (there are many volumes with better formats).

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And finally

Arzach:

[​IMG]

Many different volumes.

http://www.amazon.com/Moebius-Arzac...1955614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181860362&sr=1-2

If you couldn't figure by the titles I'm a huge Moebius fan.

I recommend you check out any of his works.

Marvel's old Epic line printed a bunch of his stuff in oversize English formats which I'm sure you can find on ebay and other places on-line.

I met him once and he was great. Very nice and talkative and he even drew a sketch for me without even being asked. It's one of my top comic treasures in my collection.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I thought the name was familiar because I looked at Watchmen at the bookstore once, and then I saw the ad on the inside back cover when reading V for Vendetta. I'm going to reserve Watchmen from the library, I think.

I saw these at the library this weekend, so I might look into them. I picked up a couple of Dark Knight books for my weekend trip to Chicago, including The Dark Knight Returns. I've heard a lot of positives about the book, so I'm looking forward to it.

I appreciate your comments. I swear that BigSoccer is one of the best resources around; there's always someone who knows the answer to my questions.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    [​IMG]

I'm enjoying these.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I just started my graphic novel collection for Batman, and I highly recommend anything by Jeph Loeb.

Especially the Long Halloween.
    [​IMG]
    The Long Halloween deals with the alliance between Harvey Dent, Jim Gordon and Batman; then the emergence of Two-Face. I'd imagine it will influence the following film.

And the two-part Hush series.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    This is the best Batman book imo. Brilliant detective, noirish crime story.

Yes, I like it more than Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One.

13. SkyWalker4

SkyWalker4 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    NOVA
    Wow this brings be back to the younger days!!! **single tear**

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Good memories I hope . BTW welcome to BigSoccer newbie. :)

15. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree, it is my favorite. Great drawing and a superb story, hard to top.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I love this story as well. Loeb/Sale are a great team. Superman for all seasons was also superb, so was Daredevil:Yellow, Spiderman:Blue, and Hulk:Grey. I recently read their Catwoman:when in Rome and it's their best since the Long Halloween. I strongly recommend it.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Really? You like the Match Point guy as Adrian Veidt? That other guy as the Comedian? I can't see it.

21. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian is a great match up.

Matthew Goode as Ozymandias is probably my next reservation after Akerman, but I've liked Goode in what I've seen him in and I trust Snyder in his casting.

Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl is awesome. Wilson is a great actor and I think he will do an awesome job with this role.

The problem comic fans have with the casting is there's no big name actors in it and almost all comic fans have their own pre-conceived ideas on who should play which character in every comic movie that gets announced.

And usually every name they like for every role is a big name person who kind of resembles the comic version.

I prefer lesser knowns or even unknowns (if they're good actors) in the roles of comic characters I love because I would rather Matthew Goode inhabit Veidt instead of watching the movie and saying, "Hey, that's Jude Law trying to kill half the world."

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem really isn't that they're relative unkowns. The worrisome aspect is their age range. Perhaps I'm jumping to too many unfounded conclusions, but casting young, hip, sexy people in the roles of middle-aged, complicated, sexy people makes me wonder how true to the spirit/tone of the comic this movie will be. Are they trying to make a jazzy, slick, action-packed superhero movie? 'Cause that's not what Watchmen is all about.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not hard to age an actor now a days. So I'm not worried about that at all.

Zach Snyder made 300 perfectly and he is a true comic fan so I trust him implicitly in his handling of Watchmen. He's even trying his damndest to convince the studio to let him film the pirate sequences so he can add it to the DVD.

He's even having the artist (an co-creator) of Watchmen, Dave Gibbons help immensely on the film. Here's the teaser poster that was first shown this past weekend at Comic Con (done by Gibbons even!):

[​IMG]

25. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hello,

I've tried to establish my top 10 of European comics to read in priority:

-Corto Maltese (Hugo Pratt)
    [​IMG]

-Astérix (René Goscinny)