Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

*slaps forehead*

Ah yes I remember now. :eek:

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To bump the thread and follow-up I thought the end to Civil War was pretty decent because there's no way that Cap winning would just make the government and all the US citizens just change their minds.

I think Cap realizing this during the climactic battle which his side was winning and then surrendering was a great idea because it came with all the destruction in the middle of NYC and actual civilians showing their feelings about it.

There were definitely parts of Civil War that did not make sense and did not fit characters and didn't jive with other parts of it, but overall it was a bold step to change the Marvel universe (for now) and the death of Cap (for now) is one I'm glad they took.

It will be intersting to see what will happen in the Marvel U. with America making enemies of Namor & Atlantis, The Inhumans and Black Panther & Wakanda.

That's a hell of a lot of power lined up against you. Even if you have an army of superheroes.

Now the 50 State Initiative is alright in concept but not in execution with the way Marvel is doing it. Basically every state will have it's own trained squad of superheroes. I didn't realize Wyoming would need super powered people to protect it.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Preacher is my all-time favorite series. One of the few I've actually written in to and Garth Ennis actually ran the mail page. He printed a joke that I sent in as he loves a good dirty joke. Issue 16 has my joke and name in it!

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It ranks as one of my favorites as well. In fact I just re-read the entire thing and it's as fanatstic as ever. It perfectly balances drama and comedy and the Dillon's art is just kick ass (nobody draws meaner bad guys than him - just look at Saint of Killers)

I think the series ended on a great note and left me satisfied, I actually didn't think it would but I was happy for all main characters, including that sumbitch Cassidy.

My favorite storyarc has to be "Until the end of the World". It was heartbreaking to read the first time. "Salvation" was also a brilliant piece of American satire. I really hope HBO nail the show, if they do, it can take TV by storm.

As for Civil War, I never had time to collect every issue or follow it monthly but I recently downloaded everything up til January and I got really into it. The last issue I read was Civil War#7 but I'm not surprised to see what happened to Cap. Although this storyarc threw the entire Marvel universe out of whack, I think it's refreshing, it's only of the only creative things that reflect what's going on today in an intelligent way and Marvel have needed something like this (especially after the dissappointing House of M storyline of two years ago) Quesada is a Marvel legend.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There has been talk of DC releasing Preacher in the Abosulte format which they have done with Watchmen, Planetary, Sandman and most of the other DC greats. Huge oversized tomes with glossy, top-of-the-line paper, redone coloring and all sorts of great extras.

If true it would be a great day.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand where you're coming from, but I absolutely HATED it. I was loving the series right until the end. I went off on it right after I finished reading issue 7 on my blog. Check out my blog (link in sig) for my comic reviews /shamless plug

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm against the Superhero Registration Act and think that in the long run it will be a bad thing in the Marvel Universe.

The entire ending of issue 7 of Civil War was crap. That letter Reed wrote to Sue, wtf was that? I'm sorry, but issue seven started with a bang and ended with a dud. So many loose ends not tied up, like Wolvie's findings of corruption and behind the scene shenanigans involving the incident in CT being fixed.

Yeah, it would have been better had they had superhero teams for regions such as New England, New York (since a lot of activity is there), mid-Atlantic, South, Midwest, Rockies, etc.

btw, I've got over 6000 comics in digital format so if anyone's looking for something let me know. I can hook you up.

7. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Has anyone read Road to Perdition? I bought it for somebody a couple months ago and thumbed through it. It looked pretty cool and I liked the movie.

The Dark Night Returns and Year One are far and away my favorites. Gotta love Batman.:D I also liked Year Two a lot, but I haven't read it since it came out as a comic miniseries when I was like 8 or 9. I liked it then, though.

8. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most disappointing thing about Civil War is the fact that you can mount at least an intellectually honest argument for the pro-registration side. It's just that they never really bothered to do it.

I'm not so much a DC guy, but I read Identity Crisis for the first time this past week. I thought it was a great story, but I've also read a lot of opinions contemporary to its release that didn't like it and thought it too extremist. Personally I thought it was a tight story with a great central theme, and SPOILERS!....

....anyone crying over Sue Dibny had probably forgotten she existed before the series was released. Not that I was cheering for her death, but wow, you'd think she was Wonder Woman the way some people reacted. As far as enjoying the overall story it also helps that I can at least grasp the different arguments around the mindwipe.

It's like in Civil War--I can understand why people would fall on both sides of the Registration Act, and I can understand why people would fall on both sides of the mindwipe issue. It's just that Civil War did a poor job of presenting its arguments, and I think Identity Crisis did a very good job of presenting its ideas. If nothing else it helps explain how on earth the Teen Titans could whomp on Dr. Light.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was my main problem with Civil War. The idea behind it was great but the execution was quite poor (the Reed/Sue letter; Iron Man the war profiteer; Wolverine's findings; Tony Stark hiring Venom, Bullseye & Green Goblin; etc.).

But as I stated before I liked Cap giving up the way he did because there's no other conceivably possible way they could have ended the mini-series. No matter what this would obviously continue to affect the Marvel U.

I'm also very against the SHRA but I'm interested to see where Marvel takes it. It could be bad for the 616 or it could turn into some great story telling. That's what I'm hoping for and Ed Brubaker seems to be running with it on Captain America #25.

10. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That bothered me too. I read just about every issue leading up to December of 06 and none of them had any significent relevance to the actual CIVIL WAR books. The Wolverine story arc was an example of poor execution. It was fun to look at because of Humberto Ramos' art but it was misguiding and uneventful once it was wrapped up. I felt pretty much the same with all the other books.

Agree. After a dissappointing Civil War #6, I felt this was pretty much the only route it could go down on. I would have been even more dissappointed if a "happy" ending would have wrapped the series up. But it was supposed to be a Marvel-changing event and having done Cap in, I felt it was pretty effective. From here on, we should see ample changes with every Marvel book.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only reason I picked up the Wolverine run was because of Ramos. I'm a big fan, but I didn't even finish the arc because it felt so pointless.

Well this summer Marvel is putting out World War Hulk. That is going to tie very well into the end of Civil War and the new Initiative because Hulk will be coming back really pissed and gunning for the people who sent him to space (Stark being the main one) and the Hulk does have some strong friends who may agree with him or at least support him.

It's going to take a hell of a lot of superpowered people to stop him because they won't like him when he's angry. And this is going to be the angriest he's ever been.

13. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ripped through all the current Girl Genius. I remember when this first came out some six years ago; I picked it up because I've always liked the Foglios' art. Then I left the country and went to college and rediscovered the comic this past month. They've gone from print to online, and they're slowly putting all the past print issues online. There's still about 1 3/4 volumes not online; they should be up (three pages a week) by August. Or you can just buy 'em.

I absolutely love this comic. It's tons of fun, the story moves well and is sufficiently full of mystery and clues and characterization, and I'm always open to good sci-fi (even if this stuff is technically steampunk). I dunno if anyone else here would like it, but I've gotta try.

14. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do you know Druillet ? :)

(from Salaâmbo, from a novel by Gustave Flaubert)
    [​IMG]

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Never heard of it. I don't get much of a chance to read European comics, even when I was living in Europe I was always into American comics. That should really change. What is it about?

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I always found it fascinating how different both in style and themes European and American comics are, despite being inspired by the same pioneers, for the most part.

17. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salammbô_(novel) :)
    Druillet adapted it into a science-fiction story.

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    On a whim I checked out V for Vendetta from the library, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a nice, easy read while I'm traveling on business.

I remember someone writing that they were getting a Watchmen vibe while watching a specific episode of Heroes, so I think I might try to grab that novel next.

I have a comic book series question for those of you more familiar with them. I can probably count the number of comic books I've read on one hand, maybe adding a sixth or seventh finger. However, for some reason I've been recently intrigued by the X-Men. What is the "best" way - whatever that really is - for a latecomer to get into a sweeping universe like that? I don't like jumping right into the middle of things, but catching up on forty-some years' worth of comics and series doesn't exactly seem practical.

19. shades

shades New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    harrisburg, pa usa
    Not sure if you are aware, but V and Watchmen are both written by Alan Moore. And yes, both are really fantastic.

X-Men wise...hmm.. a good bet might be Volume 1 of Ultimate Xmen.
    It was a relaunch of the franchise so-to-speak, and gets you in on the ground floor with only a few years of issues, as opposed to 40 years or so.

If you want to start with the original stories, Marvel does cheap black and white reprint volumes called Essentials. I'm sure there are a few Xmen Essentials out by now.

Enjoy!

20. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Current reading:

Countdown (DC)
    52 (DC) - Hey I'm still catching up
    Civil War Aftermath - (Marvel)
    Silver Surfer Requim (Marvel)
    The Punisher (Max)
    Rex Mundi (Image)
    Y! The Last Man (Vertigo)
    Marvel Zombies vs Evil Dead (Marvel/Dynamite)
    Green Lantern (DC - Geoff Johns run)
    All Star Superman (DC - only because of Grant Morrison's writing)
    Alex Ross's Justice (DC - Alex Ross is the greatest artist who has ever lived)

Coming in August: Black Adam mini-series, should be awesome as he has turned into the best thing about DC

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, and perhaps especially american pioneers... you can go to the bande déssinée section of our local library and find just about everything winsor mckay wrote...

i was never a comics fan in the states, in fact the first comics i really turned on to were in heavy metal (american edition of métal hurlant), especially moebius.

but since coming to europe i have turned into a proper tintinomaniac... high art.

also fond of laurent parcelier's guilio albums, and more contemporary, joann sfar and lewis trondheim's stuff.

i was really into de cape et de crocs and used to start pestering them down at the fnac months before the next album came out, but ayroles blew it by not stopping at 5 actes... n°8 can come out like, never, as far is i'm concerned now.

22. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    [​IMG]

I just read this. It was excellent.

Interesting fact, Brian K. Vaughan is now writing for the tv show LOST.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Pride was really done well.

My current reading list is a bit too large... so many good things out there right now.

24. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
  25. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For more in-depth analysis of Tintin I highly recommend this book:

[​IMG]

You'll learn so much about Herge', his influences and the Tin Tin world.