Any comic book/graphic novel fans?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Know, Dec 26, 2005.

1. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I would suggest the Fantographics line if you're interest is more literaruy and less superheroish. I've gone through half the public library's collection and for some reason, though I'm not a big fan of female novelists, a disproportianate of my favorite "graphic novelists" are women: Jessica Abel; the woman who wrote "persepolis" (Iranian, can't remember her name); and the woman who wrote "tamara drewe" (which was recently made into a movie -- anybody seen it?).

2. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marjane Satrapi

3. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone reading any comics? I'm currently reading Brightest Day with a couple of the tie ins and Amazing Spiderman....

4. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Got hold of some Sabertooth series issues.

5. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I just finished a "Blacksad" collection, by a couple of spanish guys. It's old school chandler/hammet detective stuff where the characters are all animals, kind of like Maus. Very good, light entertainment.

6. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever since my local shop closed I've only read graphic novels I've bought (cheap) from half.com. Now I'm waiting for some new things to come out.

7. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Any fans of Hate comics?

[​IMG]

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My all time favourite GN's collections are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With honourable mentions to Strangers in Paradise, Y The Last Man, The Goon, Eternals, Girls and Planetary

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Just started Scott McLoud's Understanding Comics, mentioned above. What an excellent little book. Definitely going to use it this fall for a class I'm teaching. Maybe along with Maus and Persepolis. Maybe something by Sacco and/or Moore too.

Finally reading the Sandman as well. Took a bit to get into it, but it's getting good. Checked out the Shepherd's Tale, penned by Whedon's brother Zach. Meh.

10. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the Star Wars comics, though the only line I really followed was the Legacy set in 137 AY.

11. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Fun Home is a good one to teach too. At least that's been my experience.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love that Vertigo & Marvel started letter pages again.

I've been writing to Hellboy for a while but it was cool to see my letters to Scalped and DMZ in print.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So has anyone tried the new Justice League? I've never read JL before but that that I'd give it a try considering all the hoopla around it. I read Batman, Green Lantern, Detective Comics, Action Comics, etc so thought that this might tie it in nicely.

Well color me NOT impressed. Personally I'm not liking what they're doing with this whole reboot. I was a huge fan of Scott Snyder's stuff on Detective Comics and I fear that those type of stories are now gone.

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately I'm a sucker who always has to at least pick-up a Jim Lee drawn book and Justice League sure was a waste of four bucks.

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Trying to get into Y: The Last Man. I suppose the plot will keep me slogging forward, but damn Vaughn's writing is silly and clunky. I liked Pride of Baghdad a good bit, but this and Deus Ex, which I also recently tried, haven't lived up.

Also grabbed Infinite Crisis the other day, thinking it would be fun to see what's up in the DC Universe. I guess I missed something major back with Crisis on Infinite Earths. Even after reading some plot summaries for that one, I still couldn't make sense of Infinite Crisis. Yikes. Might try to push on through and see if I can figure it out though.

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is anyone reading the new DC 52 #1 relaunches?

I've picked up a couple which were alright (Superboy, Frankenstein & Batman)and read some that were just bad.

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Read a compendium of Superman mags. first published in the 70's that I found in the local library. Pretty good story lines, but it left me wondering what ever happened to the sand-impression Superman ? :)

18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Deus Ex was a bit disappointing for me. Y is incredible IMO even though I had too many questions in that last issue.

I really love Ennis' Punisher. It's hilarious black comedy. I only have the "Army of One" graphic novel. I want more. Anyone else have other issues?

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely LOVED Y: The Last man. Loved it so much I read the entire run in less than a week. Ex Machina was a good story as well. I'm a big fan of Vaughn's stuff.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been reading alot of them and this is how I would categorize them:

Excellent
    Batman
    The Flash

Good
    Superman
    Detective Comics
    Batman and Robin
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns
    Men of War

Meh
    Action Comics
    The Dark Knight
    Batwoman
    Catwoman
    Grifter
    Blackhawks

Bad
    Batgirl
    Justice League
    Storm Watch

If it's not listed above, I haven't read it and don't plan on it. Although I heard some good things about Animal Man.

21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you started reading Greg Rucka's Punisher? It's only 3 issues in and it's amazingly good. I'd highly recommend it.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Big bump because I'm quite excited for Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples teaming up for Saga which is his sci-fi tale of galactic war with aliens, spaceships, lasers and more.

[​IMG]

23. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I was a bit disappointed with Ex Machina. It didn't draw me in. Dunno how he'll handle this one but I'm looking forward to it.

He won't ever top Y The Last Man and that's a chip on his shoulder I think.

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ex Machina started strong, started slowing down in the middle and crawled to a delayed ending because of the time it took Tony Harris to complete issues.

I'm a sucker to epic space sci-fi and Saga appears to be that while at the same time focusing on this small family during intergalactic war.

25. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    DC Plans Prequels to Watchmen Series - N.Y. Times