Any Baylor Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by GUYJ, Jun 20, 2005.

1. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    For soccer or any sport. I'm in NJ, belong to Empire Supporters Club for the Metro Stars, also happen to be a big Baylor sports fan.

2. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I heard Baylor described as the king of non revenue sports i.e. womens basketball, baseball, tennis, track, swimming, etc.

5. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Of course, I also heard someone explain to me that if you are the king of non-revenue sports, you are also the king of non-revenue.

6. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    That's more than most schools can say. By the way Northside Rovers only a true Loser would take time out to post something as moronic as you did - Get a Life.

7. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly true now, but it hasn't always been the case. We used to suck at everything. The previous AD did a hell of a job generating revenue for new stadiums, and he is responsible for bringing in the coaches that are now experiencing success in the sports you mentioned.

While we are hopeful for some of that success to rub off on the football team (the men's basketball program appears to now be in good hands - relatively speaking, of course), it's been a struggle for Guy Morris to overcome some of the recruiting issues that came about as a result of the previous two coaching staffs. And that's really what it comes down to in this region: the ability to recruit talent. Baylor simply can't compete right now, and that's no secret to anyone.

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if you're a Baylor fan, then you know Texas collegiate sports is a pretty competitive bunch. NR lives in Austin, what do you expect? You'd get the same response about most schools from someone else on these boards.

If you didn't know that, then welcome to the wonderful world of the old Southwest Conference!

9. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    I Baylor fan, three. (Born in Waco)

Also, an SMU and UT fan. (Most of life in Big D. All of life in Tejas)

Graduate of NT, mad at them for dropping their only successful sports program, Men's Varsity Soccer. Ranked in top twenty and top thirty last two years on a program surviving on peanuts and about 2 to 3 schlorships.

10. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chill out, man. NR is just chest-thumping...and deservedly so: around here, UT is known to have a "pretty good" football program going. :)

The fact of the matter is that in TX (and OK also, right?) football is king. So while some Baylor fans may like to make lots of noise about non-football national championships, the fact of the matter is that most just roll their eyes. Not that there's anything wrong with being proud of NCAA Championships, just don't expect lots of kudos from T-sips or Aggies. :D

11. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sadly, as a Mustang alumn I can't even take part in Baylor smack as they beat us a couple of years ago when they couldn't score a touchdown against their previous opponents. :(

Life isn't good at the bottom of the college D1 foodchain, but we do have our great memories when SMU recruited the old fashioned way.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey Baylor, Stanford is on the phone.... something about a piss poor imitation....

13. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    *snicker* yeah theyre ok......no need for me to chest thump, ill leave that to Adrian Peterson this year when he runs for 300 yards through the derrick johnson-less UT defense.

14. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Ah yes, the old saying from Sooners at UT/OU weekend: "Our Texans are better than your Texans."

15. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crickets

16. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was only a matter of time until this turned into UT/OU conversation, wasn't it? :)

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for that I went to Texas A&M.

But I can't think of any one college that considers Baylor a rival.

Maybe Southwest Texas or North Texas State or whatever those scholls call themselves nowadays.

18. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even Tulane or Rice?

19. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were an Austin guy...no offense intended, I assure you. My wife is a "former student," class of '96.

Nor can I. The fact of the matter is that on the gridiron, Baylor is constantly struggling just to be competitive. Again, that's no secret to anyone.

20. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhhh yes directional schools.
    Looks like Northside is quite fond of Necessary Roughness. Arguably one of the worst sports movies ever !

It was filmed at The University of North Texas, back in the day when it was called North Texas State University. The name of the fictional school in the movie where the greatness of Robert Llogia applied his craft was called Texas State University who just happens to be the current name of South West Texas State University one of the foes for TSU featured in the film.... Wow. Talk about curving it around !

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep yourself better informed, Northside. You're making us Aggies look bad ;)

Southwest Texas State University => Texas State University

North Texas State University => University of North Texas

22. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I have no idea what you are talking about, but Kathy Ireland is hot....she can kick my pigskin around any day.

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter's going to Baylor right now, so I've become a pretty big fan recently.

Go Bears!

24. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Woo Hoo! Go Bears. I graduated in '93 so I was actually around to see Baylor win 2 against UT and go to three bowl games. Technically we beat A&M in College Station during the '90 season, but even though Robert Strait had two feet in the endzone the officials decided he wasn't in. The game ended 20-20.

Back then, the baseball field didn't even have lights and the team was a bottom feeder. Now, Baylor has one of the nicest ball parks in the country and they're in the college world series.

The soccer field there, Betty Lou Mays Field, is actually pretty nice. Some friends of mine and I snuck on during a visit last spring and had a lil' ol' scrimage. Very nice. :D

I went to graduate scool at SMU so I feel the pain of going to schools w/ small alumni bases. With 50K students at A&M and Texas there's no wonder you trip over fans for those schools every where you go.

Sic 'Em Bears!!!