Any Aussie Rules fans in here

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by hiddink_magic, Feb 27, 2003.

1. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Carn the Tigers!!!! Ha ha it is funny giving the pies fans heaps!

2. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    an email i just sent to comments@foxsportsworld.com

first, thankyou for having aussie footy on your channel.

second, how come there is no section on your website for articles on it, or a section on the schedule and standings?

i am just a bit surprised that they have no info on the sport that they show weekly and have a highlight show.

3. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Fox Sports World USA are reluctant participants in the whole TV Aussie Rules scene, which can possibly explain the whole drama that happens every year.

Why don`t they farm it out to a US TV network who maybe are interested in this sport. TV cover is very important for any sports development. It seems to me that FSW Canada and MHz have a different attitude. ---------------

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you, dreaming? This isn't how the business model works. In the US, asSOCiation Football (which is way ahead in global exposure of any football codes) has to compete against "sports" such as fishing, pool/billiards, bowling, lumberjack, spelling bees, cheerleading, darts, world's strongest man, poker for attention. The only "sports" I haven't seen yet are chess, carrom etc. For that matter, no badminton or table-tennis (ping-pong) either.

Fox Sports World is the best we've got for all these "weird" sports from the American mainstream's viewpoint.

5. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    You have answered the question Chandu. No harm in asking though. Aussie Rules is not a weird sport either. We in Oz do not call gridiron- weird.

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I know. Actually one of the mainstream cable channels ESPN used to show what was then VFL in early-mid 80's. I'm cutting-and-pasting an extract of one of my previous posts.

There is no fundamental issue with mainstream media showing non-American sports. Back in the mid 80's ESPN used to show Australian Football matches live too, but killed it. I feel the mainstream media are insecure of the sports from the "other" world catching people's interest in America and hurting their bread-and-butter. In an ideal world, I hope we would get good coverage of Association Football, Rugby Union, Cricket, Australian Football, Rugby League, along with all the other American sports they bombard us with. But the real world is governed by supply-demand and laws of economics. So I guess, I'm fine with how things are slowly improving compared to before.

7. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Lions Deal under Fire

... The AFL has threatened Brisbane with a variety of sanctions, including the deduction of premiership points, the loss of draft selections and a hefty fine

so do the Lions think they are better than everyone else, or do they legitimately get so much more $ in endorsements?

8. Roedi

Roedi New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Rotterdam
    I try to follow the AFL, but Im unable to see any games? The first game I visisted was during the opening of the Colonial stadium in 2000, Essendon against Port Adelaide. During my traveling and study, I've seen games from the Essendon Bombers, Port Adelaide Power, Sydney Swans, Richmond Tigers, Kangaroos and Melbourne Demons. Does anyone know, if it's possible to watch games on the internet (for free of course)???

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It's possible to listen to live match commentaries on the internet from the official website: afl.com.au . Not sure where you're physically located, but if you're in North America, most of the matches are at odd hours of the night. There's also a subscription service at the official website that lets you watch all matches, I think (not live though). Also, each week check the threads "AFL Week ?? [R]" that a user babytiger here (based in Australia) starts.

10. Crazy Lunatic

Crazy Lunatic New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    only brisbane and sydney got concessions. However adelelaide and west coast were the only club in and afl mad state so they got a lot of support and port adelaide was based on an existing sanfl club.

11. Crazy Lunatic

Crazy Lunatic New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Cricket is the most wide spread sport in australia but people no longer go to domestic matches often.

AFL is easily the most popular sport in terms of attendances and membership. More than 7 million people went to games in the home and away season compared to second placed rugby league which had 3.5 million. Soccer is a joke in aus.

12. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    If ppl want to see this game of Aussie rules then the pay tv carriers should take up the offer, even if you think that it is dumb. It promotes the sport. You have got USAFL over there and there are some ppl who would obviously watch the sport.

13. SwandelPark

SwandelPark New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    hahaha
    i see Johnny Platten nearly every week

14. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    That's good to know. Can you pass on a message to him when you see him next? Tell him that he's a legend and tell him that there are some sooks going around on bigfooty.com who are bagging him out.

15. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Not any more. That has been stopped since the start of this year.