Any Aussie Rules fans in here

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by hiddink_magic, Feb 27, 2003.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I have an Aussie Rules question. Will Canberra and Tasmania ever get AFL teams ?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Not untill they stop playing Rugby League! :)

3. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    A very good question---

NYR metro, You are right on Canberra re Rugby League.
    Aussie Rules is below R/L in Canberra in support.
    The AFL Kangaroos have a couple of home games there during the season.
    Canberra Govt want a club but not enough corporate support etc etc.

Tasmanian Govt approached AFL again recently about a club but AFL said no because of corporate support etc etc.
    AFL Hawks have about 4 home games there now.
    Do not think R/League is in Tasmania but do not really know.
    The AFL will stick to the capital cities for the foreseeable future teamswise, but next season for the first time, there will be regular season AFL games in every State incl Darwin.
    NT is now an AFL state- we have got the Rugby codes surrounded.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hehe
    not bad for a Yank who only knows about Aussie sports though the ramblings of a zonked out ex pat at the local pub ehh? :)

5. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    What were you drinking at the pub----Something decent like---
    Carlton Mid Strength, VB, XXXX, Tooheys????

Forgot to ask you -Have you got a junior comp up and running.

By the way your USAFL president -Wheels- has just posted at Bigfooty.com- I/Footy section in Oz.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    ummm..... aqua??

junior competitions? HA! :)

No kidding..... gonna check it out right now...

7. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    i have seen ausie rules probbaly 30 times. if i was gay i would like it. the dudes are all buffed out. i know it is similar to gaelic football. it is sort of like rugby too

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    :rolleyes:

9. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    i have heard that gealic teams play aussie teams with modified rules. the aussies should be like yanks and claim the afl champion as "world champion."

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think the GAA and the AFL play each other in a combined rules friendly each year. Am I correct on this?

11. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep (wouldn't call it friendly though).

This years series has just concluded in Australia. The countries won one match each, with Australia retaining the cup on aggregate scores.

The game is superficially more like Gaelic - round ball, rectangular field, goalkeepers, goal nets etc, but includes tackling and the mark neither of which exist in Gaelic.

Usually the pattern is that the Irish (all amateurs)are more skilled with the round ball and quicker, so get off to an early lead, while the professional Aussies grind them down physically and overhaul them.

It is a good game, but I prefer both of the "natural" games.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx for the update mate! :)

13. cool-man

cool-man New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Soccer is good,but Aussie rules in the best sport in the *#*#*#*#ing world.

go you crows
    ...__
    ../...\
    <.O..)
    <..../
    ...\..\

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Collingwood Magpies !
    New York Magpies !

15. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    why is it the best sport in your opinion? because of the half naked blokes? hey nyc, where do they play aussie matches in the nyc area?

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    They play at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx.
    map and directions can be found here
    www.nyfooty.com
    enjoy!

17. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    nyr metros,
    Did this article appear anywhere in the USA,

Australian Rugby World Cup hero Lote Tuqiri could cause a sporting sensation by competing in his third football code, after accepting an offer to train with AFL Australian Rules club Port Adelaide Power.

The Age in Melbourne reports that Tuqiri was approached by Power coach Mark Williams and will commence pre-season training in January.
    The 24 year old has already played both Rugby League and Union and Williams is confident he can play AFL as well, stating the athleticism he showed in the recent World Cup would suit Aussie Rules.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's news to me mate! It didn;t appear anywhere, untill you just told me about it :D

19. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New season is 1 month away. Can anyone really challenge the Lions?

Mods: Please merge the related thread in "Suggestions and Announcements" -> "New Forums" into this one.

20. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favorite team is Essendon.

In the U.S., the most people may know of it is the officials behind the goals with the white jackets and hats, and the basic 'all out, everything goes' sort of play.

Sykotyk

21. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i knew they played gaelic football in VC park, but had no idea they played aussie there too.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea, and the NYC GAA are building a new facility on Randalls Island. I wonder if the NY Magpies will be moving to Randalls Island as well ?

23. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    why would GAA be building something in radalls island when they have gaelic park in the bronx?

24. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    2004 USA TV Cover

Some news on 2004 tv coverage.
    Fox Sports Canada have confirmed ok for early April.
    MHZ Network for Washington DC have confirmed ok

Fox Sports USA still no news for 2004. Some reports say A/Rules not in FSW US advanced schedules. Not sure how significant that is, being in Oz. However it is getting late in the day so as to speak.

www.aussierules-international.com

25. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2004 USA TV Cover

It was the same story last year, with FSW Canada saying yes early on; and FSW America confirming nothing till very late. However knowing how these 2 are close sister stations, I wouldn't be too concerned about the coverage in the US.

Last year we got 3 hours of weekly coverage on Thursday nights for games from the weekend before. First segment was 2 hours, out of which 1.5 hours were devoted to the match of the week and half an hour for highlights of all other matches. Then the extra 1 hour segment showed a second important "match of the week" compressed to 30 minutes, and 30 more minutes repeating the highlights of other matches.

Worse comes to worst, we may have to depend on the highlights show from http://afl.com.au . From what I understand, even the TV coverage in Australia leaves a lot to be desired. Not all matches are guaranteed live coverage, and in the Sydney/Brisbane areas they have to fight against Rugby League for attention.