Any Amish Soccer Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Magikfute, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've just moved to Lancaster, PA from North Carolina. Just thought I'd see if there are any BigSoccer readers, Sammers, U.S. Nat Fans, MLS Fans, or just folks who love the game around here. If you're in the Central PA area let's hear from you!

2. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    uh, I don't think the Amish are allowed to use computers so I doubt you'll get much of a response.

3. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno...I've heard there are all sorts of surprises in those buggies....

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I sometimes wonder if the Amish are using as much technology as anyone else, but just don't let on, like the Batcave or something. They're cool with me -never heard of any Amish bothering anyone- I just wonder. That said, I still wouldn't expect to find many here.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Re: Any Amish Soccer Fans Out There?

Well they sort of are ...

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/may/amish/

Good luck finding some USA supporters out there. I know there's one guy on the DCU board from that area.

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in western York County, but visit my in-laws in Solanco occasionally. And you'd be amazed what the Amish get away with.

7. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it appears that Bigsoccer is not as popular in Lancaster County as one might hope. Monster, since you're in the area (sort of) what do you know of in the way of soccer friendly bars/supporters clubs/something soccer related besides my MLS shootout package that is within reasonable driving distance? There's always the 2.5 hr drive to D.C. I suppose.

As far as the Amish and technology are concerned, I believe that many of them do use phones, computers and the like for their businesses. Some even have a phone in the barn (but not in the house). It's really a very interesting culture.

8. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're certainly the most well-prepared for Doomsday.

9. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    The Amish aren't as "anti-technology" as many believe. While they certainly don't have computer in their houses, they are permitted use electricity/operate computers, and drive motorized vehicles in the businesses they own and work in. After they punch out for the day, it's back to the horse and buggy. Cinemax runs a documentary called "Devils Playground" which is about how Amish teenagers are forced to leave the church and live like the rest of us (sex, drugs, rock & roll, hip hop) until they turn 21. Funny thing is that when these kids are interviewed in the movie, despite not being exposed to MTV, Video Games and all that, they sound just as dumb as any other American teenager:)

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in Lancaster and still have family there. There is a good amount of soccer fans in the area so I'll be surprised if there aren't a few on bigsoccer. Years ago, the top schools for soccer were Hempfield and Manheim Township. I don't know how it is now though.

PM me if you need any info on the area.