Antonio Puerta 1984-2007

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Prenn, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    shit, just read it... this is really terrible, after it was said that he was stable, i hoped that he would survive it.

obviously, another death demands questions [doping f.e.], but not in this thread, imo

2. Templinho

Templinho Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wirral, England
    RIP Antonio. YNWA.

3. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    who is saying that was the official cause of death?

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    RIP. A loss made even sadder because he was so young.

5. Crowzfan

Crowzfan New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very sad news.
    Thoughts are with his family and friends.
    R.I.P Antonio

6. doug1500

doug1500 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    USA
    RIP Antonio Puerta

7. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    antonio puerta is now in a better place and in eternal happiness. god bless him.

------

on a side note, he had two previous fainting experiences - one towards the end of last season and again this preseason. both were attributed to heat exhaustion. (im starting to think he wasnt properly examined).

but then again, this is no time to be pointing fingers. all focus in on the great person that we lost today.

8. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    lets relive the day he became a sevilla LEGEND two years ago when he scored the game winning goal in extra time against schalke to get sevilla into the UEFA Cup finals. (crazy enough, he scored in the 100th minute on sevilla's 100 year anniversary). to top it all off it was during the "feria" season. it would lead to sevilla's first major trophy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3msyoOGI0M8

goose bumps.

9. OliverAtom

OliverAtom Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Sector 7 Slums
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Terrible loss. May he rest in peace. This ought to make teams everywhere more mindful about their players' health. You never know when you're next.

10. browfish

browfish New Member

My condolences to the Puerta family, his friends and to Sevilla fans everywhere.

YNWA Antonio.

11. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    Rest in Peace Antonio Puerta. What a sad day...

12. acceptplace

acceptplace New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    What a tragedy & having a baby that he won't be there for....it's just heart breaking.

13. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
  14. mikebarr

mikebarr New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to pass my condolences to Antonio Puerta's family, friends, and teammates, plus the Sevilla football community. This is a real tragedy. :-(

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RIP. I'm not a religous man but I thanked God for allowing me to make it to 38 and still hammer on a bike. Peacefull and blessed thoughts to his family may they recover strong.

16. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    I agree, extremely unfortunate that few people knew about his heart condition.
    Sad that another young life is gone.
    Deepest condolenscences to his girlfriend and family members.
    R.I.P. Puerta.

17. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R.I.P. Antonio, you will be missed

Such a sad day in the world of football. Keep the Sevilla family and the Puerta family, especially his girlfriend and unborn child, in your prayers.

My God, this scares me. He was only 22, such a young age.

18. captsapp

captsapp New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Albany, GA
    My prayers for his family, both on the field on off. I know that I had a friend have a cardiac arrest almost right in front of me and I had to help him and it's very hard. He made it and it's so sad to see that Puerta did not. God bless him and his family.

19. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the details. But I can't help but think that an AED might have been helpful in this horrible situation. Regardless, Sevilla (or Getafe) should've had one availible if they didn't.

20. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    ...Only 22 years old...that's my age...put things into perspective for me...poor guy...

21. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Descansa en Paz ANTONIO

Mis sinceras condolencias para su familia (y su futuro hijo), y su club.

22. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they will know the precise cause of death until the autopsy, but there are several other possibilities as to the cause, virtually all of them rare cardiac problems.

It is highly likely that soccer, per se, had nothing to do with this young man's tragic death other than the fact that such deaths commonly occur during times of exertion or at rest, just after exertion.

Given the rare incident of such congenital and acquired causes of sudden cardiac death, screening all soccer players doesn't make much sense. If there is a positive family history of sudden death at a young age, that all family member should undergo cardiac testing.

The trainer, ref and teammates who responded so quickly and appropriately when he collapsed initially on the field are to be commended. After he got up and walked off the field, I thought he would make it as he should have immediately been given oxygen, hooked up to an EKG monitor and sped to an ER ASAP. I would be shocked if an AED wasn't available in the locker room, but perhaps he didn't respond.

23. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    that is what still is unclear to me....did they have to "shock" him back to life in the locker room and again on the ambulance ride to the hospital?

To me, that sounds like his heart never had a chance after the initial heart attack.

24. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How tragic :(

R.I.P

25. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No one deserves to die the way he did... RIP Puerta and I will pray his family can get through this.