Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That wasn't due to going into administration - it was due to match fixing.

ttrevett repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was what happened, and my point being, Wigan ain't Juve. They ain't coming back up any time soon. Sucks for the fans of the team and the employees who got made redundant because rich people couldn't manage the finances of the club.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yep. This was the post I was replying to for context.

4. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get it twisted, the point of the Calciopoli by Mo"rat"ti and Serie A was to bury Juventus. They tried, and failed. All while hiding their own wrong doing (in the case of Inter).

Similarities include the requirements of selling of key players for cut prices like Antonee and the Wigan RB among other players and Juve selling Lillian Thuram, Ibra, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Patrick Vierra, and Emerson.

Normally, I would want Antonee to test himself at Milan, but I think he could be our best option at LB and consistent starts is what he needs. So West Ham would probably be my ideal destination if he wants to stay over in England. I like that he seems to be weighing his options in an intelligent manner for what is best for his growth, not necessarily about money or prestige.

Winoman repped this.
  5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Got it. I didn't read the entirety of the previous post (helpful if you quote for context). Your comment then was just for information to ttrevet - i.e. Juve's situation is not similar with Wigan's, right?.

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    What are we getting twisted? They were relegated for match fixing, whether true or not or whether you believe it or not. Who is "they?" How did "they" fail?

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wigan's owner bet against the team secretly in the Philippines, then didn't spend any money in the transfer window, expecting them to go down. As far as I'm aware none of the staff or players threw games. This was all on the owner, so the FA steps in and takes over the team and punishes it and bans the owner. Wigan's fans, players, staff had nothing to do with it but are being punished. It's horrifically punitive in my mind.

8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Do we think he’s good enough for a mid table EPL side?

He might not get to go forward as often playing on a team in a relegation battle, but it should prove his level.

He’s going to be 23 soon so he needs to prove his quality this season.

ttrevett repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mid-table? Maybe not, but he's definitely good enough for a bottom-third side - otherwise you wouldn't have West Ham and West Brom linked to him this intensively, never mind Leicester and Milan.

10. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "They" is the Italian Federation and Inter Milan leadership. They tried to destroy Juventus. They were the only club of the 5 (Reggina, AC Milan, Fiorentina, Napoli, Juventus) originally punished who had their relegation upheld to include the point deduction.

I will admit that I am now off topic from Antonee and Wigan. I don't think that the FA is trying to do what the FIGC did, Wigan is obviously not Juventus, going into administration is not the same as "match-fixing."

On topic, I want to see Antonee challenge himself in one of the Top 4 leagues and grab the starting LB spot for club and country! I believe he would do well in Italy, but completely understand staying in England and staying in that comfort zone when making the jump to top tier soocer.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Top 5. Top 4 thinking is outdated.

And, by the way, i'OL just sent Juve home.

12. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You got what you deserved. If you don't want to be punished, don't do it. As someone who watch Serie A for a long time, there were some matched where referee decision were given to Juventus that you would scream "What the hell?" Just like those ridiculous decision S. Korea received during 2002 world cup.

13. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think mid-table EPL team would be a perfect next stop for Antonee.

15. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm very okay with Sheffield as they do have Europa aspirations

jnielsen repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And what of your own aspirations, Angela? Are you just going to slip quietly into retirement?

sXeWesley and Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Well, they can’t prosecute criminally, so what else can they do?

18. CZM4

CZM4 Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020

19. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Reports that the Sheffield United move is pretty close (although, don't know how credible this guy is)
    Alan Nixon is normally pretty clued up on transfers especially in the North of England, so this almost certainly has legs.
    Sheffield United would be a good move, he'd be expected to play as a left wing back, with he task of ousting current incumbent Enda Stevens, who is a pretty solid peformer (although had a couple of below average performance after the restart). Chris Wilder is a great coach, so would be a good place to develop his game.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1520 The Irish Rover, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Great news for Antonee and everyone else on this board. Chris Wilder is a VERY highly-rated coach who gets results from poorly-rated players while playing good and remarkably innovative football. I'm delighted for him, though not for myself: he's direct competition for Ireland's LB Enda Stevens, who's a capable defender but doesn't offer a lot going forward.

Since Sheffield's offense from the back is based on overlapping CBs (yes, you read that right) from a back three, Antonee may not be that much of a problem for Stevens unless Wilder is be looking for tactical flexibility, in which case Antonee is likely to be the starting LB this season.

21. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup this might be the best EPL destination he could have gone to.

Sounds like he could win that spot from Stevens to your point.

If this is Antonee’s level then we have a pretty good pair of outside backs.

jnielsen and sXeWesley repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    obviously a bit of luck to find himself in this position, but he definitely earned a promotion to a higher league with his play. put that together with a smart kid with good advisers and you end up with a transfer that seems well setup to really succeed. thrilled for him.

jnielsen, sXeWesley and The Irish Rover repped this.
  23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sky sports also reporting that the deal was accepted

ttrevett and The Irish Rover repped this.
  24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Hope he can win a starting spot. Sheffield did not rotate their defenders much last season.

3 of their defenders (including their left-wingback Enda Stevens) started every Premier League game last season. Another one (John Egan) started 36 out of 38 games, and only missed the other two due to injury and suspension.

On the other hand, I remember their manager complaining about fixture congestion and their lack of depth at the end of the season, which he thought really burned them. So maybe he'll be looking to rotate more if he has the players to allow him to do so.

25. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    BLADES' £2M ROBINSON BID ACCEPTED

Wigan Athletic have accepted a bid of around £2m from Sheffield Utd for left back Antonee Robinson.

The former Everton defender, who was on the verge of joining AC Milan before a problem with the medical stopped the deal going ahead, is expected to agree terms with the Yorkshire club and complete a deal this week

Wigan need to sell players with the club in administration, to pay wages and football creditors with a number interested parties looking to takeover the League One club

SKY SPORTS ARTICLE