Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    yeah alphonso davies has recuperated and regrouped after getting skinned by sergino dest for instance

NietzscheIsDead and lmorin repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Chinese owner of WBA doesn't seem inclined to invest money in them, in fact last summer he told them he couldn't settle their debt (most of it still pending) due to restrictions imposed on him by his government:

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...t-because-of-chinese-government-restrictions/

I don't think WBA is going to last long in the Premiership unless someone else comes and takes it away from Mr. Lai, who so far seems quite disinterested in the club.

As for West Ham, there are rumors that one of the big American "private investment limited responsibility" firms is ready to take over, and when those do they dump quite a bit of funny money there at first, so there is a chance they go on a buying spree right after it happens --if it does happen.

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/...ims-ultra-wealthy-have-eye-on-premier-league/

3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    roma is the move.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Source?

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me. i am a transfer genius.

lmorin, russ and The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Wigan are still appealing their points deduction, and the appeal is set to be heard on July 31.

So, if Robinson really does have a relegation clause in his contract, Wigan are probably going to want to wait until at least next month before making any decision on his future, because they'll be free to negotiate a higher transfer fee if their appeal is successful.

autobus39 and FC Tallavana repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Broke its moorings? Gone adrift? Soon to be in Malta?

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The point deduction thing just seems of limited usefullness. They really need to institute an owner's ban or something (although bankrupting a club is probably not ideal either...) But tying league promotion/relegation to administration issues just seems awfully clunky.

Maybe just draw lots and give one player away via league wide lottery for every offense at the end of the season... "And Wigan must give up... Robinson. His rights will go to... Fulham FC to do with as they will. As you were!"

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, mixed up my sides. Cresswell is a decent PL player and signed through 2023, Masuaku has show potential but is streaky. He just signed a new contract so is certainly in the club's thinking. Left side is a harder nut to crack. It would be great if he got experience on the right side as well. Love me some two sided players

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I disagree. People don't like it because it has real teeth, real consequences. That's why its good.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Perhaps if it weren't so often changed on appeal, I might agree, but there seems little consistency and I'm not sure behavior changes much, but I'll admit to not having looked into audit results pre and post point deduction.

And for over 1/3 of the Champs teams it has not much teeth. If you're not promoting and not at risk of the drop, it costs money, but not life-altering amounts. And it hurts the team community more than the bad actors. Should really be football bans for individual actors without letting them pull money (which is, of course, impossible but would be more fair.)

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Considering that Wigan was right in the middle of the table prior to the deduction, I'd say it had teeth this season for more than just a third of the teams.

This season, the top 6 would have fallen out of an auto-promotion or promotion-playoff spot with a 12 point deduction. And 9 lower-midtable teams other than Wigan would have fallen into the relegation zone with a 12 point deduction. That's 15 or 16 out of 24 teams that would be significantly affected.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except not all 6 get promoted, so sure, not having a shot at promotion is something, but is not promotion.

Regardless, getting dinged points is not something anyone aspires to, but I wish the pain were more targeted at the folks directly reponsible. But nobody axed me.

14. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Dest somehow rebounded after being done by Tecatito in that friendly.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to Gregg Lovitz is still a better option than AR.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Very telling quote here:

I feel like I’ve done well enough where now, wherever I go next year, I want to start. In January the idea of going to Milan, it probably didn’t even come to my head that I probably would have been on the bench… now I am more prioritizing a team where I am going to start than a team, just because they’re a big name.”

Sounds like he's cooled on Milan.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great quote. Happy to see it. Sergino, take note.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think he ever had anything else in his mind. Dest is down right arrogant in the best way.

Glad AR is realizing it

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Meanwhile, Wigan coach Paul Cook has resigned to explore new opportunities. Highly regarded within the English game, only Chris Wilder, Pep and Jurgen Klopp have won more league matches in the top 4 divisions since the start of the 2015-16 seasons, despite always being at clubs with pretty limited resources.

It might be worth Antonee waiting to see where he lands before making a final decision.

20. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New opportunities sounds like movin on up.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Exactly. Might be to the Prem, but more likely a Championship promotion contender.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Update: Wigan's appeal was heard today, but judgement will be rendered on a later date.

23. WiganFanFromQueensNY

Wigan
    France
    Jun 5, 2017
    Judgment Day for Wigan will occur in ~13 hours at 4 PM GMT/Noon EST.

They will receive a decision on their appeal at that time. A 2 point (or greater) reduction of their 12 point penalty will almost assuredly keep them in the Championship for another season and allow the club to get closer to market value for Robinson this transfer window.

CZM4, Winoman and autobus39 repped this.
  24. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Barnsley must be nervous....