Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have torn menisci in both knees. It was so bad that I couldn't cross my legs in the sitting position, and every time I'd catch my toe on a something and twist my knee a bit I'd crumple to the ground in agony. Some days I'd wake up and one knee or the other would feel wobbly and want to give out just standing. The knees always felt "loose". On the advice of my brother, I started taking bone broth powder every morning about 2 years ago. Within 2 weeks I had no more pain, and I've been good ever since. I plan on taking it until I die. I can't recommend it highly enough.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not in the squad:

[​IMG]

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really hoping that he is back this weekend as the Wigan vs. Millwall game is on ESPN+. The Google is telling me nothing as to why he is absent. He is in the stands for each game.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps Wigan's apology took the form of a great deal on season tickets.

5. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Randomly, I came across him being touted as potential cover for Robertson at Liverpool come summer. Probably just messageboard chatter, but nonetheless, I suspect he’s gone from Wigan come summer.

I don’t get the hate. The guy has some real attacking quality. I like him, and I think he would be no worse than many other left backs in Euro first divisions.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Milan were serious enough to take him over for a medical. The deal fell through, but the headlines will have alerted other teams to his availability and his relative quality.

He'll be thoroughly scouted between now and the end of the season. If his performances haven't dipped/don't dip, the bids will come. The question is where from and at what level.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    He has to get on the field first....

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*... whatever. It is clearly not normal that this many Yanks Abroad are going down with injuries. So much for the ESPN+ airing.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Seems pretty clear it was a real medical situation that AC Milan picked up. Best of luck to Jedi

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akin to what other players have succumbed to on the field. While the kid probably rues the fact that his transfer was scuppered by AC Milan at the last minute, he also should count his lucky stars that someone picked up on this and he is getting it treated (as an aside, he's also not quarantined in Milan!).

13. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Didn't Clint Dempsey have some thing similar and returned to his career?

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps we should page our resident doctors, @Dr. Wankler, @Dr.Phil and @Dr. Gamera, although I'm sure they have been occupied by the current pandemic.

My sense is that the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of heart conditions have greatly improved in recent years, allowing athletes to return to the playing field with confidence.

Every case has its own unique features, I'm sure, but Ajax's Daley Blind, who just turned 30, recently returned after having been diagnosed in December with a heart issue. I read he wears a special monitor - not sure if 24/7, but at least during practices and games.

Robinson's case might be completely different, but here's hoping for a return to full health.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially scary but good that they noticed it off the field. The Milan lab is good for something!

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1091 m vann, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...nson-undergo-procedure-irregular-heart-rhythm

A little more info. Robinson will have the same procedure I had done in my early 20's. He will have a cardiac ablation. In a nutshell, the procedure involves destroying or rough up tissue in and around your heart that triggers the abnormal heart rhythm. The ablation prevents abnormal signals from entering the heart. It stops the arrhythmia. Think of the ablation as a barrier, wall, shield or whatever that swats the abnormal signals away. In my case, these long tubes (catheters) were inserted my groin and threaded to my heart and then the cardiologist could rough up that scar tissue around the heart. I've heard of others needing open-heart surgery to correct the issue but I suspect that's a very low percentage of cases. My recovery was fairly quick-ish. Maybe 6 weeks. To be honest, I had more issues with the groin that anything. It's a big procedure in the sense of the risk involved but it's minimally invasive. I could resume a normal life, continue to play sports at a high level, and all that. I've had no follow up procedures but if one is needed more than likely a pacemaker would be inserted. With regular checks and healthy life style all should be good for Robinson. Scary as f*** when you're 20-something dealing with the issue. Having the "glad it was caught early" attitude helped ease the fears.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Not a Doctor.

I only play one on bigsoccer.

18. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had no idea Daley Blind was only 30! Thought he was mid to late 30's at least (and his heart issue was a consequence of aging). Great that AC caught it but bummer about the move falling through...

TimB4Last repped this.
  19. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a silver lining in this. Now that it is revealed that a health issue derailed the transfer Antonee may have a chance to get sold again after he has recovered.

Winoman repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So . . . mods actually have hearts. Nice to know ;)

Eighteen Alpha and m vann repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, of course, now we also know why at times @m vann can be so ablasive.

22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife has had two different ablations for two different problems. The first was two prevent supraventricular tachycardia during which her heart rate would go to nearly 300 beats/min. Scary, to say the least. Fortunately, the surgical procedure done with an electrode passed through veins returning to the heart, placed there by the surgeon who never left the computer monitor, had recently been developed by a cardiologist at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC. My wife was able to have the procedure done, spending one night post procedure. That was about 20 yrs ago. Now, it is probably a same day procedure.

Over the last several years, my wife experienced several instances of atrial fibrillation. They were controlled with medication, but because they continued, the recommendation was for another, albeit slightly different, ablation procedure. This was technically much more complicated than the first and took 8 hr, but the outcome of last year's procedure has been all she could have wished. Again, a single night in the hospital, primarily because the procedure took 2 hr longer than expected.

Wife and I are both regular scuba divers and cardiovascular problems are a real no-no for diving. If one occurs under water, it is hard to return to the surface. However, the surgeon who performed the second ablation was also a diver and he conducted several extra tests to demonstrate complete heart healing and, in particular, normal intra-cardiac blood flow. My wife was cleared to dive 5 mo post surgery and she has done so multiple times.

I can't say much in support of the medical bureaucracy, but much of modern medicine is awesome.

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to go ahead and reserve judgement on that statement for a little bit.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland