Craven the Lifestyle: Antonee Robinson at Fulham

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bballshawn, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they were saying was the additional testing would have taken to long the deadline would have been expired but they don't give any reasoning for the additional medical

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    total bummer for the kid.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Milan would be well aware of timing required for testing. Maybe they said. “Oh, we need test done to buy now. But, no time. So, we are willing to do loan with option to buy and get testing done after deadline.” Who knows? Doesn’t appear like a straight forward deal.

Maybe just a scam to get Wigan to loan them Robinson for second half of season.

Winoman repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean... we didn't but I kinda feel like we got got catfished including Antonee! Sooooooo close to being signed, sealed and delivered. Sign..... at least it's not like the Heath Pearce "signing" with Bursaspor where he was presented to the media, took questions from them and then it was..... sike.... we didn't get this deal in before the deadline closed. Oooops, our bad!

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is what I gather as well.

The English version was a transfer, for €10 million or more. The Italian version was a loan, that would become a transfer only if he played 7+ games, which was unlikely to happen.

I'm not sure Wigan is to blame here. So, to avoid the he-says/she-says, both clubs are opting to go with the medical timing story.

PS: I doubt Milan was going to pay big for him, they were just counting on a loan and sending him back, Theo is not the sort who misses games.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't make sense; you can't loan a player after the deadline.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Wigan for not giving him up for any length of time without a guaranteed and satisfactory transfer fee.

8. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why go for Antonee? Someone who would have to learn the language and see if he could even get up to the leagues speed?

If Milan were looking for a 6 month band-aid, there are other more proven Serie A veterans that they could attempt to acquire for a similar price if not cheaper?

I think there was genuine interest in his upside, and a lot of similarities to Antonee. I'm not saying that Antonee was a shoe-in and like for like quality replacement, but with some mentorship and adaption, there was opportunity.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But may have been an excuse to pressure Wigan into a loan. “We can’t buy now without the extra medical but are willing to bring him in now on a transfer and then do the medical later as we evaluate option to buy”. Whatever it was Milan was trying to do didn’t make sense to Wigan.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Because they never intended to pay the price, and other Serie A clubs were not going to loan them an equivalent-or-better guy for the rest of the season on a "we shall see" basis.

They were counting on Wigan and Antonee being naïve enough to fall for it.

11. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't a Serie A club be willing to let go of someone to get a salary off their books, which I imagine wouldn't be out of the question considering there are older players on larger salaries warming the bench. Best case scenario for that team is that person plays well and they are able to sell them in the future, worst case, the player continues to sit on the bench and they don't have to pay the salary anymore.

Once again, why would Milan take a loan for 6 months for a player who would not be starting over Theo, who doesn't speak the language (or spanish, or french for that matter), and is coming from the Championship? Antonee would barely be speaking Italian by the end of the season before they would just ship him back to Wigan? There would be so much that could go wrong for Milan if they were just trying to bamboozle a Enghlish Championship club for 6 months in my opinion. I could be very off on this, but that doesn't seem like a smart move by Milan (even if they have made dumb moves in the past, looking at you Piatek).

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    His thread here was trending and the post-count passed 1000, but yeah. :(

LouisianaViking07/09 and wixson7 repped this.
  13. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Not sure I follow. Why wouldn't they of just recalled Laxalt from his loan in Torino in the first place then?

jnielsen, usnroach and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Laxalt's contract ends in 2021 so they have to sell him this summer. He was going to be bench-riding with Theo always playing LB. The idea was for Laxalt to get enough play time with Torino so he could be sold for a nice fee.

Now, Laxalt has been recalled.

Also, keep in mind Robinson's not officially capped & has only played friendlies for us. Had he succeeded at Milan against all odds, with Theo breaking a leg or something, the English may have been tempted to cap him first.

I think that very unlikely, though, since I feel he's quite limited as a defender.

15. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Still not sure I follow...

1. Why pay such a large transfer fee if he isn't in their plans whatsoever?
    2. Why not give those minutes that Robinson would of got to Laxalt if he wasn't in their plans, avoid the transfer fee and enhance Laxalt's marketing presence to other teams with Robinson's minutes?
    3. Using that same logic of selling Laxalt, what would happen if Milan sold Laxalt and Theo (who they'd likely get a ton of $$$ for this year)?

16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1016 taylor, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Most bizar almost transfer in ya history.
    Edit.
    Holy god, wigan are in a relegation spot and agreeded to this deal???

My first thought is must be something nefarious...

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But they're both playing for AC

usnroach and ttrevett repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They were not going to pay that fee. That fee was only in case AR played more than N games, which was unlikely. He'd be there only as an emergency sub.

Because there were zero minutes guaranteed. Diego has already played near 600 minutes with Torino for the first half of the season. As Theo's backup, he'd have been lucky to play the 45 minutes Rodriguez got since Theo's debut.

It'll be summer by then, with many more possible deals open. They only wanted someone to make the four months left until the end of the season. They could have promoted some Primavera guy, or they could have gone for someone who wasn't going to be expensive as a loan and only expensive if they decided to buy him.

Since they were not going to buy him, Robinson was a cheap alternative as a loan. They played him less than the threshold to activate the buy clause, and no harm no foul.

Remember we've been hearing the Wigan version of things for the most part. The whole idea that Milan was buying him for over €10m came from them. For Milan, it was a "prestito con diritto a 10 mln." = a loan with a chance to buy for €10m.

https://www.spaziomilan.it/2020/01/sky-milan-nuova-offerta-per-robinson-del-wigan/

largegarlic and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily bizarre or crazy at all. I'm taking the announcement at face value--the transfer fell through because the docs found something during the physical that required further tests (otherwise, why bother with the physical?). The club decided, with the docs' recommendations, that the tests are necessary. This precluded the transfer because of time constraints. That's my take, anyway. We may learn more about this during the rest of the season if Antonee suffers an "unexpected" medical problem.

20. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I love when YA goes all out conspiracy theory

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I wouldn't take the announcement at face value; I would take it at face-saving value.

22. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Transfer cancelled. Reports since yesterday.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    What transfer?

24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well I thought this was a bad idea in the first place. Who knows what happens from here this could really derail him. Or he could keep his head up and find a landing spot in the summer, let’s hope.