Anti-war rally again

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 25, 2003.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    They are back!

As more and more soldiers are shot dead in Iraq, anti-war movement will only be getting stronger and stronger.

Bush admin is really in between rocks and a hard place now. Let's hope the invasion of Iraq will not be the cause of bringing down his presidency.

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the betting is on! for the first poster to make a nasty comment about the Palestinian flag shown in the picture of the protesters. It shouldn't be more than 10 minutes, I say.

<media analysis>What an irrelevant OR dumb OR blatantly slanted choice of pictures by someone in the CNN.com news department there - I can't decide. But my first reaction is that it's a obvious sop to the type of simple people who will shamelessly equate anti-war protesters with pro-suicide bombing Hamas supporters.
    Though it's my opinion that all our adventures in the Middle East are intrinsically connected and the linchpin is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, that story has absolutely nothing to do with Palestine, nor is there even a mention of a pro-Palestinian subtext to these protests. And while I have no doubt there were a few Palestinian flags flying in DC today (I saw them when I protested in NYC, too) they wouldn't have had to work too hard to get a picture without one in it. It's so obvious - especially with the caption - and so obviously out of context that it really smells fishy.</media analysis>

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    And of course, they would like us to leave now with no stable government in place in Iraq. Real stupid. But then again, supporters of the Palestinian terrorists tend to me.

-- sorry, I had to oblige.

4. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Lying protestors

While eveyone knows it is common practice for event organizers to ovestimate crowd sizes, it is funny that they would do this, and the yell about how we were misled by the Bush administration.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Funny, but the DC chief of police the crowd was between 40,000-50,000.

6. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    The palestinian flag a symbol of discredit and Evil.

But do you realize how this is unfair?

Not even the flag can be waved. :rolleyes:

Then you go on wondering why conspiracy theories about the power of jewish lobbies multiply.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your implication is that only Jewish people recognize the injustice of suicide bombing of innocents. Do you really suggest that the rest of the world's religions lack such humanity ?

If the Palestinian flag is a negative symbol - whose fault is that ?

8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed, to elicit a better question.

9. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    The job needs to be done. We can't afford to have another rogue Islamic state in that part of the world.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I understand - and agree with - your point. I was just pointing out what I thought would be a predictable reaction by some upon seeing that article.

11. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    It wasn't a reply to your post, Michael. :)

they were considerations over the predictable reactions you talked about.

12. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I guess it is because most (if not all) of the news a common american gets from mainstream medias about palestine and palestinians are the suicide bombings.
    ie the reporting is heavily biased and focused mainly (if not only) on Israel.

Have you watched many reports about for example "common life in Gaza or Betlehem or Jenin"? Not politics, common life.

The effect is that you paint in your brain palestinians as ppl going around with explosive jackets.

You know indians were just bad guys, good only if dead, previous to the change of hollywood movies portraits.
    Now they're often heroes.
    I think they were simply human beings with good ppl, bad ppl and so on.

The palestinan flag represents millions of palestinians not hamas nor jihad.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If only Jerry Garcia were still alive, then these folks would have something to do.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Most people would be surprised to learn that Palestinians have a flag. It looks a lot like the Jordanian one, and is nowhere near as nice at the Wyoming flag.
    Read any good ones lately?

15. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Re: Re: Anti-war rally again

Just wanted to see Ben's name attached to that post again.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All I've got to say is that I'm glad I'm not downwind of this anti-war group.

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Anti-war rally again

Pseudo-nostalgia is so cute.

18. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-war rally again

So are pseudo-credible imminent threats.

19. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I almost came to blows with one of these schmucks on Saturday.

You guys know I lean about as far left as you can without falling over but when we showed up early at RFK on Saturday these morons were there waiting for their buses.

We set up shop, got the grille fired up, put Rammstein on my car stereo and cranked it. This hippie freak then came over and asked me in a very mealy-mouthed way if I coud "turn the music down". (I could barely hear it myself because of their freaking buses going by) and I couldn't even hear him.

He repeated, "We're over here trying to relax after a long day of protesting and were hoping you could turn your music down". I just looked at him, there were so many things I could have said to this but I just smiled. He had the nerve to ask why WE were there. I pointed at my attorney (a shaved headed libertarian) and told the guy, "ask him and see what he says". Of course they guy was told to "*#*#*#*# himself". At which point he went over to my car to get in it, I walked up behind him and asked him what he was doing, the freak then pulled out a camera and started taking pictures of me and my car so I couldn't kick the *#*#*#*# out of him. He then ran away and I continued to listen to my German Industrial.