Anti-Muslim hooligans?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by WayneRooneyIsFat, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My wife and I honeymooned in England and Scotland, this is in 1999. When we returned at O'Hare Airport (Chicago's International Airport), they treated us like garbage: Why did you go there? What was the nature of your trip? How long did you stay there? What do you do for a living?
    Rapid fire personal questions. Then they pulled us aside, American citizens, and searched our stuff....THOROUGHLY! I'm talking my wife's silk panties and everything. Meanwhile, tons of tons of NON-Americans were waived by from all around the world, many were tourists or foreigners with Workvisas or Greencards, they had to stop the us. It wasn't enough to serve my country for 3 years, now I have to be treated like a terrorists suspect because THEY don't want to look racists! These guards were armed and needed backup to investigate our underwear. What did they think they were going to find?

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Customs officers are trained to treat people like absolute crap. Its an unfortunate part of life, especially when you get the ones that treat you especially bad because they like to go on power trips.

I'm in a particularly delicate position as a resident green card holder in the US... any customs official can revoke my status for virtually no reason... so I have to take the crap. :mad:

3. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Igorance exists in many forms, and in all places...

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That bites. I'm sorry to hear it. I just think that people should treat each other with a little bit of dignity. I wasn't expecting special treatment, but I was decorated in the Army and you would think that means something, but oh yeah, I forgot where I was....in a country that tells people to go fight and then we give you nothing when you come home messed up, cut your benefits, and an enlisted military salary is below POVERTY!

5. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    My girlfriend and me got thoroughly searched at LAX. I guess these guys have got a job to do, but no sense of humour at all.

Me: (with smile on my face,trying to break the ice after my extremely tightly packed suitcase had been searched),

Good luck with getting all my stuff back in, dont worry about it, just ram it in anyway you can...

Him: It's my job Sir, leave me to it.

Okkaaayyy.

They actually had a 'meeter and greeter' with a clipboard to explain about the searching, and to put a smile on the official face of the airport, and that it wasn't because they hated everyone being searched!

The girl who made the joke about having a bomb in her suitcase a couple of years back who got arrested must have no common sense whatsoever...

6. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Catfish, you make it SO easy sometimes!!!!! :D :p

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Come on Rick, we were on our HONEYMOON!

8. D_G73

D_G73 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dubai
    aha..going through airports we are talking about at the moment..

thats one reason perhaps i would not want to go through the airports in the US, nowadays.

since 2001, due to my company's work, i had to travel to some lovely places that are highly placed in american agendas and politics.
    you will find stamp of Iran, yemen, Pakistan and Sudan in my passport. i don't think they will let me off before some 'extensive' routine questions about those places :rolleyes:

9. Frankie Boy

Frankie Boy Member

Jun 9, 2003
    My older brother (a senior manager at ITT) has some very interesting places on his passport-and has gotten the royal treatment you describe at the age of 48...

My wife's sister (a 40 year old Mexican) traveling on a tourist visa has also gotten the full Monty as well....thought she was a drug courier...

10. D_G73

D_G73 New Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dubai
    how about when i was dragging my big suitcase with me in london tubes trying to make it to airport on time.

i don't think its advisable anymore to do such a thing :confused:

you can't blame people for being paranoid due to all the madness around but some innocent person will be a victim of abuse, somewhere. I would hate to be on the recieving end.
    but when you hear of stuff like people refusing to travel on a plane(happened in the US on several occasions) because he has the middle eastern look, i think thats a bit being too carried away..
    or when yousuf islam (formerly cat stevens) travelled ot the US and they had to force the airplane to land elsewhere and send him back, that was a bit messed up.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The security guys in the US are pretty clueless, but I guess I've been lucky. As a light-skinned Indian guy, I pretty much look like I'm from the middle east. I've flown abroad twice since 9/11 and never had a problem, though my bag was apparently searched by TSA as part of a "random inspection" when I flew to San Francisco. Oh well, only a matter of time before I come to one who pisses me off. I'm sure I'll have a few choice words for him, and bam! I'll end up all over the news as an "unruly potential terrorist" or something. :p

12. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother-in-law, a dark skinned Mexican-American from Texas, gets pulled into a lot of "random" inspections everytime he goes to the airport. He's just glad that he doesn't have a job requiring frequent travel. :rolleyes:

13. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    And maybe you'd be better off actually reading the post that's got you so upset.

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    What's that, you want me on board to balance the scales?

15. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Yeah? I want customs officials who act like robots and conduct thorough searches in spite of whining tourists. If they stop looking in your wife's panties then your wife's panties will become a prime hiding spot.

Timothy McVeigh had a similar complaint....

Were you drafted? We have a volunteer military and a fairly free press, so if you didn't sign up with your eyes open you have nobody but yourself to blame.

16. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    You guys are not that important and I have a very long list of other things to bitch about, thank you very much.

KJ

17. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    And Arsonists is so right wing that he makes you both look like a Kennedy.

18. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Were you wearing your uniform? I mean I've never been able to look at someone and tell if they have received a award unless that award was something they were wearing at that moment. A better question is why do you expect people to automatically know that you were decorated in the Army unless you run around working it into every conversation.

19. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    jegerpenge,

Who is that in your avatar?

20. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    That's because real, red blooded Americans never leave the country unless it's on a military transport, Eurosnob!

KJ

21. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Masuimi Max

And damnit Claus, I'm not allowed to give you any positive rep for either of your previous posts. Stupid site.

22. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I'm sorry, I thought you had a very long list of other things to bitch about...

:D

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    by God, son, you'll bitch about us, or we'll give you something to bitch about.

that's better.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy am i glad i googled that name, thanks jeger. :)

25. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll mod for the other side too :)

ACtually I'm surprised the republican machine hasnt hit up bigsoccer yet with Karl Rove complaining of liberal bias... oh wait, he's busy these days, isnt he...