Anoying Problem

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Apr 16, 2008.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My really annoying problem is that I don't have the confidence to shoot. I'm not here to brag, but I probably have the best shot on my team, and quite possibly in the league (U14). I can probably score from outside the 18 lots of times, and i have scored on my goalkeeper in prac (which is 6 ft 1"). When it gets to the games, and i have a chance to shoot and most likely score, i decide to pass off to the wings for a cross or try a through ball. I feel like if i take a shot, and miss or it gets saved, my teamates will start blaming me for ball hogging. How do I build up the confidence to take a strike from long range.

2. a_skates

a_skates Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Grow some balls and tell your teammates to STFU. You cant score if you dont shoot. When you get some space, just bury your head in the ball and rip one. Im one of the most unselfish players, but when i get a chance, i take it. Winners want the ball, and winners want to score.

3. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So basically, screw the team when it comes to a chance to score?

4. a_skates

a_skates Member

Mar 20, 2005
    well if youve got a chance to score, why the hell would you pass it off? That doesnt make any sense. And if you score, youre helping your team, and if you miss well too bad, but you took the chance and your teammates have to live with that.

5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    you are screwing the team when you pass instead of shoot if the shot was the better option. If you have a good scoring chance take the shot. The best scorers in the world miss ALOT. If someone has a better shot pass it off. If I have a decent scoring chance there is no way I'm passing it to the wing for a cross.

6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was always taught to sum up the situation, when you get the ball is there someone who is in a position where they are at least 90% more likely to score then you are?
    If you shoot are you 90% or more likely to score or force the keeper to concede a corner?

If i receive the ball within distance of your shooting abilities and don't see anyone in a 90% or better position then i am in, i shoot without question.
    And if you are a good shot like you claim, whats the worst that happens? A corner, deflection or rebound.

7. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Yes. You'll be grateful you did if you develop into a quality foward one day, as they are the most sought-after players.

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Agreed, big big difference in being selfish and smart. Sometimes you will appear selfish, but its smart and your midfielders and defence will thank you when they see their hard work in the back of the net. Its worse when they bust their gut only to see you pass it to someone in a bad position and have them cough the ball up.

9. Rafa10

Rafa10 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Perth, Australia
    Just a confidience thing, you will never suceed on a football field if you aren't willing to try things.

The thing to keep in mind is that you don't think about missing, you focus on hitting the target, and not worrying about your team-mates, what if you score? They can't accuse you of any of that.

And in terms of the ball hogging accusations, it's just a age / maturity thing IMO, yes at older levels there is still the odd jab at hogging, but at least your trying to create something if you go for goal.

Just have the confidence to back yourself, and you'll be fine.

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Defenders and keepers are supposed to play it safe, midfielders and especially fowards are supposed to be innovating and daring, and not afraid to try new things. The greatest attackers were all very daring.

11. RichardHKirkando

RichardHKirkando New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are your teammates Arsenal fans, by chance?

12. mint

mint New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    doncaster
    just practice shooting more in practice and when ur kicking about with your m8s, the more you practice the more confidence you get;).

13. Santeria

Santeria New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    switch it up, depending on what position you play If your a foward then your job is to shoot WHENEVER a opportunity rises. If you play a midfield position, and still feel like you have a clear shot TAKE it...

Also try switching up from passing the ball once you get near the goal, then take shots... then the next time.. pass. next time shoot.

I had a team mate with a similar problem as yours, it would piss mee off soo much when he had the shot, but instead tried to do something fancy, or just blow it by passing... if you FEEL you can make it. Take the shot.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    where's your coach in all this? in briefings/debriefings he should be giving you and your teammates instructions on these points. if he's not telling you to shoot more or dribble less, maybe things are alright as they are... but he should be making that clear too if it's the case. once he's made his views crystal clear everyone will STFU all by themselves. and that will also give everyone more confidence.

i recently saw a basketball coach in a timeout with a trick i'm going to use: telling a player, "you take that shot. i take the responsability! take it every time. it's MY responsability!

15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    When you have a chance to shoot, you also have the responsibility to shoot. Passing up open shots is not being an unselfish player, it is passing the buck, not living up to your responsibilities.

16. soccerislife7

soccerislife7 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wierd, I have that same problem. I've taken two shots this whole season, one was goal and one hit the inside post of the upper 90 and was cleared off the line:(. Like you, I need to be more confident and do something.

17. NERK

NERK New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    this is how i was with challenging defenders (i play mid).

i would never have confidence to try and challenge and do pretty moves on defenders and insted i would always give and go or cross it in. But one day at practice i grew some balls and tried some moves that i had been practicing, i pulled it off and since then im always trying and i am no longer scared or discouraged.

For me it only took once and now im never backing down, maybe you will be the same.

sry if my english isnt that great.