Another YA rumor

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sch2383, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    On today's New England - Columbus game, Stoner said Twellman told him 2 Bundesliga clubs had contacted him about making a move over there. I hadn't heard anything like this, but I'm not too surprised. Does anybody know if he is out of contract or would there be a transfer fee involved here?

2. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he meant 2.Bundesliga clubs were after him.

3. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    twellman speaks german, came up threw the german system (1860 munich), and has played very well in mls for several years. why not the bundesliga?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wouldn't bet the house on the accuracy of Stoner's rumors. But I wouldn't be surprised if Bundesliga teams were talking to Twellman either. With the Euro these days you can get almost any MLSer for about a buck two-fify a week.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's good enough for that level. I think he's a player that a BL.2 team might want as a 3rd forward to get them up to BL.1.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Twellman does go to a German club and Mathis and Keller sign with ReAL I will offically never tell Rob Stone a secret ever. Since Stone said it it is probably only 1/2 true and 1/2 him just mis-understanding what he heard.

7. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Today at least you are worthy of your name :D

You know you are opening yourself up to the legions of people out there who believe TT is being victimized at every turn.

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know dave. i see no real reason why twellman could not start or at least be in a squad rotation for a mid-low table bundesliga side.

if conor casey can get decent time at mainz... (albeit, he is a very different player and they are probably going down faster than a bus station skank on quaaludes this year).

9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainz? Going down? Huh?

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Huh?

He has played in each game but 1 out off 11.

He has started seven.

He has 1 league goal, and 2 cup goals.

Mainz is in 6th in the table, above Leverkusen and Dortmund, among other others.

You were saying something?

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Twellman is good enough to make and probably contribute to a Bundesliga team. I think the game there would suit him. I doubt he'd be a star, though he would probably be very productive at the B.2 level.

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Agreed.

13. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will he take Pat Noonan with him?

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't recall ever saying that conor rides the bench. if my comments came across as sarcastic, then i'm sorry. i did not intend them to sound that way. what i meant is that if he can play bundesliga ball then twellman can as well. that is not a knock on conor, as i think he is a very good young player with lots of upside (probably as much or more than twellman). i simply believe that at this point in time, twellman is of equal or greater quality.

also, mainz is 8 points above the relegation zone after eleven games. while i don't truly believe that they are a lock to go down (it was a joke), i certainly don't believe that they will be chasing a spot in europe come march.

15. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island

hahaha, you metro fans would love that wouldn't you?

16. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Twellman could play at that level. He would start in B2 and probably get his 15-20 goals. He would be on the bench and start in B1. If he played in B1 he would get maybe 5-12 goals a year.He would start for a team in the relegation and would be on the bench with a team at the top of the table.Twellman is a good player he wouldnt be a world class star but, he wouldnt be a nobody in B1.

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

18. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Not being victimized... just underrated... though I guess victimized will do.

19. dtwanchope

dtwanchope New Member

May 8, 2002
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wouldn't a loan deal be more in the making? What's Twellman's contract status? He probably wants to get some more exposure to try to get back on Bruce's good side since he's been "slighted".

And I don't believe much that Stoner says after he repeats "what a Cracker" time and again.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Especially since Mathis isn't even in the league anymore. What a dolt.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was doing well in the reserve team before he left, so he'd know what he's up against. he'd be hard pressed to find a team on which he'd regularly start at the top flight. I'd think he could find a home in the second.

22. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    The article mentions that TT has a three year contract, the first two are guaranteed, and the last is a MLS option. I don't know if MLS would agree to a loan, or what his valuation is if any team wanted to buy him.

24. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was a joke, it was a pretty poor joke as far as I'm concerned... I don't know about where you're from but in these parts skanks on quaaludes is NO JOKING MATTER!!!

Lee

PS- Hmmm, now that I think about it skanks_on_quaaludes wouldn't be a bad handle!

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the new transfer window rules, MLS-out loans are a no-go. If he gets loaned there, he can't come back to MLS until...August 1 is it? In any event, he can't go over to some team with a short term injury crisis and play for 2 months, then come back to MLS.