another study finds conservative media bias

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a wad of chewing gum that someone spit out on the sidewalk. That is morally superior to Rush Limbaugh.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    McClatchy files for bankruptcy:

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article240139933.html

Between 2006 and 2018, McClatchy’s advertising revenue fell by 80 percent and daily print circulation fell by 58.6 percent. While the company has worked over three years to achieve a more sustainable 50-50 split of print vs. digital advertising, those gains couldn’t outpace the approaching pension and debt obligations.

In filing for Chapter 11, McClatchy is following a familiar path for legacy newspaper companies; most other major newspaper companies, including Tribune, Lee Co. and New Media/Gatehouse, which recently acquired Gannett, preceded McClatchy on this bankruptcy restructuring path.

McClatchy’s new owners will face the same “fundamental headwinds” that have driven mergers and closures, said Anthony Campagna, director of research for ISS EVA, a provider of analytics and market intelligence to investors.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    NPR has been horrible of lately...

But the post is horrible consistently:

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the big story from the end of last week was that the Russians are trying to help Trump and Sanders again. But then again, maybe not.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/23/poli...russian-interference-trump-sanders/index.html

"The US intelligence community's top election security official appears to have overstated the intelligence community's formal assessment of Russian interference in the 2020 election, omitting important nuance during a briefing with lawmakers earlier this month, three national security officials told CNN."

I will bet a trillion internet dollars that those NS officials are of the Pompeo-Jared ilk. Why be a stenographer for liars? This article should never have seen the light of day if the officials refused to give their names.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - the point is basically now to prevent Congress getting any intel that the administration doesn't like.

fatbastard repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Jimmy Kimmel gives Ted Cruz a taste of his base

roby repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    :cry:

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nothing like whitewashing war criminals:

1234293242402934784 is not a valid tweet id

Also, no Sunday show pressed Czar Pence on his HIV outbreak while governor of Indiana:

sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HIV and the Coronavirus are a bit different.

I mean unless Pence was all about let's just pray for the gays as his healthcare prevention. But that would be more about his Christianity.

10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Pence doesn't believe in evolution. I'd like to see him try and explain how this virus started infecting humans.

ElNaranja, fatbastard, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #936 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Yes, they are. But outbreaks r outbreaks and a rapid, science-based response is important. Mike thought those smack-shooting sinners in Indiana got what they deserved. No executive of a state or country should put their personal beliefs above the health of their constituents. He's a much sicker fvck than I had realized. Just use your google machine to check:

As late as early March 2015, Pence still resisted calls to establish needle exchange programs even though state legislators from Pence’s own party were now advocating for them. Pence supported the federal ban on needle exchange and also his state’s prohibition; a Republican state legislator, Ed Clere, told a reporter that Pence’s staff members “made it clear that he was categorically opposed to syringe exchange, period.”

However, after meeting with officials from the Indiana State Department of Health and the CDC, and an evening telephone conversation with Scott County Sheriff Daniel McClain on March 23rd, Pence said he would “go home and pray on it.”

So he did finally allow for HIV testing and needle exchanges in the county. But also did this:

On the same day, however, Pence also undermined the effects of the new law, signing another bill that toughened the punishment for people found carrying needles. It upgraded possession of a syringe with intent to commit an offense with a controlled substance from a misdemeanor to a felony charge, subject to imprisonment for up to 2.5 years. Criminalizing possession of syringes, even clean ones, without a prescription undermines efforts to slow transmission of HIV among injection drug users, and
    may actually encourage needle sharing.

The damage was done: by 2017, a total of 215 cases of HIV infection had been attributed to the outbreak. When we performed our analysis of the the Indiana outbreak, we found that undiagnosed HIV infections peaked about 2 months before Pence declared a public health emergency—after the rise of HIV had been detected, but before the governor chose to act. Using a mathematical model of epidemic dynamics, we estimated that up to 127 HIV infections could have been averted if Pence had implemented public health measures like HIV testing and needle exchange proactively in 2013, when he had been urged to do so by experts in his state.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...pence-made-indianas-hiv-outbreak-worse-118648

Auriaprottu, xtomx and dapip repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is what happens when white haired men are left unchaperoned with women not their wives.

It is not evolution, it is God's will.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's just what I have been saying. God does not want Donald Trump and Mike Pence to have second terms. I can't blame Her for that.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #939 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    She has a wicked sense of humour, though. See human genitals, the platypus and the success of Queen & Nickelback. This means we're getting a 2nd Trump term.

JohnR repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I saw a platypus last week. Weird mofo. Smaller than I had thought, too.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I read something a few weeks ago that said Sid Vicious was a better player toward the end of his life than people gave him credit for. I don't think he'd have been ready for John Deacon's spot, tho. Maybe Jamerson's?

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Be fun to see what She does when they win

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Nah, he was too smacked out

I was a much bigger fan of Hooky

Peter-Hook3.jpg

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If you watch their last show at the Winterland Ballroom, Sid was still playing like it was his first time holding an instrument. For punk bassists, I like Matt Freeman from Rancid even if he has poor taste in soccer teams.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Was he an Atlanta fan? :whistling:

21. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    According the Encycolpedia Googlicus, I'm sub-optimally correct here. It's actually Rancid's drummer who is a stupid RSL fan and their singer is an even stupider Earfquakes fan.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Googled him. He was part of Joy Division and New Order.

They knew their way around their instruments, so not punk

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You didn't read the post he quoted, or you'd have expressed a measure of jealousy

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I have nothing to add to this tweet...other than I expect to be disappointed

1235269068321697793 is not a valid tweet id

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    MSM’s conservative bias, COVID-19 edition:

1235943552049389568 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc repped this.