another study finds conservative media bias

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 27, 2009.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://newrepublic.com/article/156039/political-fact-checkers-distort-truth

Alex Pareene is a straight journo (i.e., you can count on him to lead you toward truth and not away from it.) But he's very left and very anti-corporate media.

This article is an account of how fact checkers are really biased. He documents, for example, Glenn Kessler investigating a Bernie Sanders claim about wealth concentration, confirming that Bernie is telling the truth, but then adds his own editorial comment about how it's misleading because poor people have very little wealth. As if that disproves Bernie's point, rather than proving it! Pareene also points out a case in which Kessler said a Cory Booker claim about gun violence was true but "facile."

The problem with the article is that he doesn't compare that centrist bias against the left to see if there's a similar centrist bias against the right.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #877 ceezmad, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Well he is defending lefty politicians from fact checkers, so I doubt he would be interested in what the fact checkers have to say about the right.

Here is a politico article on the difficulties on fact checking Democrat candidates vs fact checking Trump.

Trump lies a lot and lies in a big way, so when fact checkers nitpick a democrat is it because they want to balance out the fact check on Trump? should they just let small mistakes/lies go?

Many Democrats obviously say they should not be so nitpicking.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ran out of time to edit my post above, so I will add here (when work gets in the way of your big soccer posing).

So the Sanders complains about is that he did not lie, and they are correct.

What the post said is that Sanders could have picked 3 names out of a hat with old people that own their own home and have no large debts and he would have been correct, the post is cherry picking the Sanders cherry picking.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe we're making some progress. Yahoo! covered the allegation that Democrats are mourning the dead Iranian general more than their own Gold Star soldiers with the headline, "Republicans Spread False Claim About Democrats," followed by the lead "Republicans Spread Lie That Democrats 'Mourn' Dead General."

You can't be more direct (and accurate) than that. And the plural is correct, because Comrade Kevin McCarthy joined that Georgia Senator in making that accusation.

sitruc, fatbastard, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congressman, and one probably a bit put out that the Governor didn't appoint him to take over the retiring Isakson's seat. Nevertheless, still a douchebag.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This reminds me of when Biden demolished Ryan when Paulie was talking about the debt/deficit as something they tripped upon. Unfortunately Biden didn’t include the media for their role in allowing the effects of catastrophic republican policies to be treated as unforeseeable accidents happening by divine design.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This reminds me of when Biden demolished Ryan when Paulie was talking about the debt/deficit as something they tripped upon. Unfortunately Biden didn’t include the media for their role in allowing the effects of catastrophic republican policies to be treated as unforeseeable accidents happening by divine design.

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “What if a New One Starts?” Then it was divinely decreed. Duh!

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chris Cillizza showing why he's hated by people that understand how journalism works:

1217130445956997122 is not a valid tweet id

sitruc repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    you write about all this like it’s an amusing celebrity cat fight, but I hope you stop posing as a political reporter.​

He's just doing his job. Because way too much corporate media is invested in the celebrity cat-fight narratives that shape too much coverage of American politics. That such shitty reporting is so lucrative for him isn't necessarily his fault. That he's a shitty reporter is, of course, but not that he gets paid so well for being one.

fatbastard, ElNaranja and JohnR repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Now that I'm reading about the Dem Debate, it seems like CNN and Blitzer made it into a right-wing loaded question show, with such inanities as asking why Dems want other countries to get nuclear weapons. And that's a good reason not to watch 2 or 3 hours where for the most part, nothing happens.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...-register-democratic-debate-questions-937912/

Among the evening’s most asinine queries was one that was ostensibly not from a moderator at all, but from Iowa Democratic voters asked by CNN to share “their most pressing questions.” Only one of those questions was actually asked Tuesday, and it came from “Edward” in Des Moines. “Des Moines is an insurance town. What happens to all the insurance industry — the health-insurance industry here if there is Medicare for All? What happens to all the jobs and the livelihoods of the people that live in insurance towns like Des Moines?” Edward wrote.

Later, the moderators dropped the pretense and asked simply: “Sen. Sanders, your campaign proposals would double federal spending over the next decade, an unprecedented level of spending not seen since World War II. How would you keep your plans from bankrupting the country?”

Why do you democrats hate the troops and our freedoms?

sitruc repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The fact that he is shitty at his job is his fault.
    The fact that he geta paid be CNN is their and his fault.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dropped the pretense? Who is the idiot who wrote this crap?

That is a legitimate question and probably the best one that was asked of Sanders all evening. And of course, he failed to answer it in a satisfactory manner.

And no, countries technically don't go bankrupt, but their safety nets do. Ask the Argentines, or the Greeks, what happens when you promise more than you can deliver.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think there is a problem with expectations. I believe the mainstream media in general, including most fact checkers, tend to be more left than the average American, and more sympathetic to democrats than to republicans. It seems to me that they have higher expectations of the left than they do of the right, and that sometimes can result in them being more critical of the left, in what they see as a fair attempt to be unbiased.

I think there is a double standard, because the checkers expect Trump to lie as a matter of course, and as they mostly presume the democrats to be better, they still hold the democrats to a higher standard.

I think if we look at history, we see that pattern.

During the Cold War, nobody expected the Soviet Union to tell the truth. So if Pravda announced that "Comrade Brezhnev has a cold", it was already presumed that he was probably in intensive care, and they were behaving as expected, so no big deal. On the other hand, it was expected that if, say, president Carter or Reagan was sick, the US media would tell the truth about it, and any coverup would be seen as a serious breach of trust to the people. So yeah, there was a double standard, because the Americans were presumed to be better.

I remember when I was studying the works of Thucydides about the Peloponnesian war, I saw the same pattern. The writer was Athenian, and it seemed to me that he was trying remarkably hard (especially considering his era) to be neutral, and yet as an Athenian he had his biases. So, to me he seemed to be harsher on Athens than on Sparta, because he expected Athens to be better than Sparta.

I think that is one reason why some of the spot-checkers seem to be harsher on democrats than on republicans, and especially Trumpists.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Do they still employ Rick Santorum? What a diaperload of shitty ideas that schmuck has.

xtomx repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I also like to avoid watching things and then going to websites where they tell me what to think.

It makes it so much easier.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is a real Santorum.

fatbastard and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my book, Bernie doesn't owe anybody any answers until Donald Trump, or somebody in his administration, addresses this promise -

I've been waiting to hear more about that plan.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really? Of course Sanders should answer. Acting like Trump does is an unacceptable low bar.

sitruc, Moishe, yossarian and 1 other person repped this.
  20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    To be fair, there is more to Santorum than shit.

dapip repped this.
  21. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I'm still waiting for a moderator to ask a Republican how they'll pay for these, or future, wars without (continuing to) bankrupting our country.

I'm waiting for them to ask why they share the same beliefs as Al Qeda as they're supported by Saudia Arabia and they support the Kingsom heavily.

Similar questions Bernie had to field. Seems only fair.

dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, that’s why everyone one should watch Fox News....

[emoji849]

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This. Healthcare already eats 18% of our economy and a lot of that money goes directly from taxpayers to insurance companies. Changing the route, making the money flow through government seems to be a better solution, and while technically doubling government spending, the expenditures would remain about the same.

Faking concern about all that money going to public coffers, while ignoring how much of it goes to companies’ profits and CEOs is hypocritical. And doing it while Trump’s tax cuts increased the deficit to a nice trillion is the definition of conservative media bias.

fatbastard and xtomx repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, there is the "frothy mix of..."

dapip repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I hear you, but that may not be realistic, not if an honest Dem answer is used against a Dem candidate while Trump is not held accountable for an answer, because he never gave one. I mean this is a campaign, the point is to win

dapip repped this.