Another referee killed

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, Nov 12, 2016.

1. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    First, I am sorry for him and prayers for his family. Never should have happened.

It is long past time that EVERY soccer association stops putting up with players gathering around the referee after any call, much less a PK/Card/hard foul. Period. It has to start in the top leagues that 'everyone' watches (yes, EPL, La Liga, BL, France, Serie A, etc) and continue down to every other league. I don't care if games end up with forfeits due to fewer than 7 (I think that is the minimum in regulation side - please correct if not) players left on the field. Too often I've seen refs surrounded by players of all sports, usually much larger then they are, and everyone is pushing them to make a call for their team. That is not the role of the players. I would start with the 'idea' the EPL said it would enforce, but didn't, the following items. Ref makes a call. Player who was subject of call says something to ref - he/she tells the player the call and signals for re-start. ANY other player who comes up to ref gets YC, and I mean ALL of them. If that means 4 or 5 players get YC, well too bad. 2 of them on 2YC, then Red and gone. Done. More come to argue, YC/RC. Get below minimum and forfeit match. Done. Stop this crap - has no business in the game.

IASocFan, RespectTheGame, espola and 3 others repped this.
  2. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    Another death of a referee and nothing is going to come of it in terms of trying to prevent this situation. Terrible.

3. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be a straight red. When players are ejected, they will get the message to stop arguing. If, at that point, they continue to argue with the ref, security will remove them. That's how you resolve the problem, with red cards. The punishment has to be stiff enough to make that kind of behavior decrease.

BTFOOM repped this.
  4. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    RIP.

I don't know the whys and whats about how a player snaps into violence. I've never had a player take a swing at me. I know nothing about self defense. I do believe, however, that a couple of things would help prevent the referee from being struck while totally defenseless. I believe assailants attack when they perceive they have an advantage or opportunity.

The top link shows video of the incident. Please note that the referee looks down and takes his eyes off the attacker immediately before he gets sucker punched. I believe that this a common denominator in many referee assaults- it certainly was an issue for John Bieniewicz.

Please don't take your eyes off of a player you are sending off until he is well on his way off the field, even for a second. Be able to get out your control cards with one hand and without looking. Maintain a safe distance. If a player or group approaches you while you are withdrawing or moving to isolate a player, raise one hand in a "stop" gesture and say loudly "STOP!"

Be safe out there.

dadman, msilverstein47, RefLI and 3 others repped this.
  5. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The two most important factors in self defense is situational awareness and distance. In general, we stand entirely too close when giving cards. We should be far enough away that the player can't kick us without moving in first. This is generally 4-5 feet away depending on height. There's no real reason to be closer to an upset player than that. Additionally, we need to be aware of where to player is until he's more than 10-15 yards away. If you look at you book while he's closer than that, and he will be able to close the distance before you can react.

6. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  7. RefLI

RefLI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    New York
    This just came across SOCREF

"And they are allowed to participate in the round of 16?? The CR called a 10 minute cooling off period after the headbutt. The player who headbutted the CR, a 28 yr old Jamaican Ocane Williamson, was taken away by Haverford police after the game."

AremRed repped this.
  8. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is wrong with players!?! Hopefully, that guy is severely punished. I'm talking legal action action, as well as suspensions/bans.

9. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    What the actual fu¢k. I wish they had suspended the game after the referee assault. Looks like B25 also grabs the Referee's arm as he is showing the red to B71, probably could have been sent off as well. That's a major coaching/discipline problem right there.

10. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the clip, they were doing crap off the ball several times so - yeah - if not directly coached to do so, they were "allowed" to and while the player is 100% responsible for their actions - coaches have some culpability especially when its not one isolated incident.