Another One Bites the Dust -- AG Gonzales Resigns

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by John Galt, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Skeletor-vakia

2. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Dude, you have no idea. I met the guy at a Christmas party one time, I think it was Christmas of '05. I knew the guy was kind of freaky looking from pictures and TV and such, but I was not prepared for real life. Someone tapped me, I turned around and there he is.

Seriously, I almost dropped my drink as I recoiled in fear. I now know what it is like to shake Skeletor's hand.

In other news, later that night I gave his daughter or daughter-in-law (I can't remember) the old hands on the hips, dick-to-ass squeeze-by while I was trying to get to the bar. The people she was bending over talking to looked pretty shocked, it didn't help that I said "pardon me, sweetheart" when I did it.

Yeah, I was pretty drunk. :D

3. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Cornyn a possibility? He was attorney general for Texas and if he left his seat is almost as safe as Hatch's.

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere that the guy runs something like 10 miles at lunch every day.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    So, he won't count as a senior international?

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some jog to remember, some jog to forget.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How long of a lunch break does he have every day??

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite long, apparently. It might have been 10K (kilometers), but the number 10 sticks in my mind from that article.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree....he would have fit right in among Peruvian politicians as well......but all of this does say something about the Bush administration as much as it does about the man himself....

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Knowing many Latinos, subservient cowboy bootheel licking is not exactly the definition of machismo.

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name has been floated, but I wouldn't think it's a realistic proposition.

Plus, the Texas seat isn't as safe. The Utah seat is going to a Republican, no matter what and with little effort. With Texas, there are a lot of rich semi-conservative Democrats that could run and, though they may not win, would cause Republicans to spend money in expensive media markets like Dallas and Houston after what would assuredly be a bruising primary (there are MANY Republican Texans who would want that seat). In essence, yes, the GOP would retain that seat; but it would be a huge expense that wouldn't be worth it. Plus, Cornyn isn't retiring any time soon, whereas Hatch very well might be ready to leave Washington.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cornyn's poll numbers are pretty bad. It's still Texas, I know, but I wouldn't be shocked if Cornyn lost next November.

13. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went up against probably the most formidable Democratic opponent the party had to offer (former Dallas mayor Kirk) in 2002 and still managed an 11 point win. I don't think there's anyone on the Democratic side with a large enough profile to warrant much of a challenge. Wish my wife's boss would run, he's a former federal judge. He was appointed by Clinton, but I'm not certain that makes him a Democrat.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, three things about Ron Kirk's defeat in 2002:

1. All Democratic candidates up and down the ticket were hurt by Tony Sanchez's horrible gubernatorial campaign.

2. Shrub was a lot more popular in those days and John Cornyn picked up a lot of support by being Shrub's AG.

3. Hell, being a Democrat wasn't a good way to get elected in 2002 in a lot of states

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Do you think he might be a little too Irish?

16. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Scooter Libby's unemployed, right? He knows the system. At times like these, we need the right kind of experience. He could add wiretapping to his resume.

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Ed Meese is available

18. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Gonzalez resign now? The shit storm had died down and then "Bob's your uncle"; Rove and now Gonzalez resign? It seems odd to me. Perhaps rats leaving a sinking ship, at least for AGAG why go thru that Kibuke theater in front of congress, just to resign.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are a few theories as to why now.

http://www.slate.com/id/2172855/

20. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Bork?

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess that Claymore is referring to Bork's one year stint as acting AG, which he "earned" for being a good little Nixon lackey by firing Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox after AG Richardson wouldn't do it and resigned and after deputy AG Ruckelshaus wouldn't do it and resigned.

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch Bush go off the deep end and nominate Patrick Fitzgerald

24. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not that smart.

25. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not fair to Bork to castigate him for the firing of Cox. Bork was ready to resign, but was talked into staying and firing Cox by no less than Richardson, Ruckelshaus, and other top Justice Department officials.

Everyone there knew that Nixon would get his way, the issue was how much of a point should be made. They felt the point had been made, and that Bork should stay because Justice needed someone capable of running the department.

Whatever one may think of the other aspects of Bork's career, I would hope those of us who bother to try to know the facts would excuse his firing of Cox.