Another Mexican buyout possibility? (Rumor)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by RedMenace, Nov 28, 2004.

1. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Next party rumored to be interested in buying the Earthquakes? From MLS News & Analysis Forum, includes Spanish text of story:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153254

Google/Altavista translation marginally helpful. It basically says, I think, that Alejandro Burillo Azcárraga (a major Mexican televsion and soccer magnate) is rumored to be looking to buy 3 teams, one of which is the San Jose Earthquakes, the others presumably in Mexico.

The original source for the story is here:

http://www.proceso.com.mx/archivocomint.html?nid=28365

I guess he has some history of interest in MLS, as in, the US/Mexico super league proposal?

I also presume that he's not the only person or group still interested in the Earthquakes (and that quite possibly at least one prospective buyer may be local).

2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't read Spanish (and can hardly manage English)--is there anything about moving the team? There is no reason why Mexican ownership would mean leaving Northern California.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly not out of the South Bay.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There is no mention of moving the team. There are two things that do stand out to me. He is interested in buying Colo Colo of Chile and Rayo Vallecano of Spain along with the Quakes within the next couple of months.

The other and what is potentially worrisome to me is the that his group Pegaso already has very good connections with AEG and SUM because they are partners when the Mexican national team plays here in the States.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish SSV could give us a heads up. This might be one of the investors whom they know about and who wants to remain anonymous. We have no way of knowing that.

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they wanted to remain annonymous, then they didn't do a very good job. And if SSV told us who those investors were, then they wouldn't be annonymous....

I'm so sick of these rumors. Just down right sick. I wish we as Quakes fans would quit even reading this crap or trying to find out. It just turns into a giant game of telephone.

7. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As per, rumours are just that. Everyone will play pundit as to what is going to happen next, just like with Club America or whoever else. SSV has been doing everything to attract a local investor, and if and when that time comes we'll see if one will step in. Some will step out and say who they are, while others will just remain quiet. Of course, nothing is leakproof since some information will be reported to begin with.

SSV can only say so much as to what's going on, and that's fair enough. I stand by them however things are whether they say something or keep quiet. Cheers!