Post-match: Another March South - MLS Matchday 30 Crew @ Trashville Wednesday October 20th 8:30pm

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Oct 15, 2021.

?

Result

Poll closed Oct 20, 2021.
  1. Crew win by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter Master Class

14.6%
  2. Crew win by 1

16.7%
  3. Draw

27.1%
  4. Crew lose by 1

12.5%
  5. Crew lose by 2 or more aka coachbot9000 disaster class

8.3%
  6. Nashsville isnt bad, its the worst. - POdinCowtown

2.1%
  7. Hype Train Returns - Gyasi scores 1 or more goals and Crew win - worth 2 points

18.8%
  1. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, our lovable heroes must march to the south and claim glory. Despite all their setbacks and struggles, they must go on. Our Crew are preparing for their next campaign by once again following in the path of their forebears and marching south. They will find a foe well versed in defensive tactics. This foe also has signaled their evil by copying the uniforms of our heroes.

Will our heroes once again prove they are the true yellow clad Crew and restore some small portion of their honor?

chr1st repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope I'm wrong...

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  3. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    We need a draw worst case but i see a loss

4. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    A win here would be fantastic! I hope we get it but it seems ineptitude or perhaps Inaptitude will likely rear its ugly head. Classic tale of too little to late.

Change my mind , Lose by 1 in heartbreaking fashion

5. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    My wife and I will be heading down to Nashville for the match.

Any idea if there will be any semblance of a visiting supporters group on Wednesday night?

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is a biggie. Not the last chance to snag that must-have road win, but the next to last chance.

Will be really interesting to see how Porter rotates guys. 5 matches in 16-17 days. On paper, Nashville away is our toughest game. Do you go all in with the A team & rotate for Red Bull? Or do you rest some A team talent, and try for a smash & grab late on?

For me, I go for it here. We do not have opportunities to waste:

Room; Moreira, Mensah, Williams, Valenzuela; Fraser, Nagbe, Zelarayan; Santos, Zardes, Etienne.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Maybe don’t start your best attacking players try to counter and get to half 0-0 or up 1

8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nashville doesn't lose at home. Rest the starters, play the kids!

9. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I think there's something that says you get more points playing your best squad versus a weaker team on short rest.

the_rickler repped this.
  10. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's sneak down and steal a victory.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Nashville is sputtering a bit here. They only have one win in their last six, a 5-1 game against Miami, but apparently anyone can score against Miami these days. :) They have four draws straight, three of them scoreless.

I think it's absolutely reasonable to think we can get a point out of this one.

TKyle and TrueCrew repped this.
  12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, NYRB do not have a game mid-week, thus having 6 days between matches while we have 2.

And the other teams (save NYRB) are also dealing with the same fixture congestion we are. They will need to rotate at some point, too.

Hopefully Mensah & Diaz will be available for this one..

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to go for the win in every game. No time to play it safe with managing minutes. We need the points.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the contrary... this might be the one match left on our schedule where managing minutes makes sense. Nashville's the only opponent we have in this four-game stretch that we're not actually competing with in the standings. It's also probably (I haven't looked at everyone else's schedule, but I'm assuming) the only time we'll be looking forward to a match where we'll be on short rest against a team that's fully rested, because the Red Bulls are idle tomorrow.

Nashville doesn't lose at home. They're struggling, but it's still not an easy road win. We're in kind of a Berhalter-against-Panama situation: If we throw everything into this game, it HAS TO WORK, because we're leaving ourselves gassed and possibly shorthanded for the more important match on Saturday.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Berhalter wasn't on the verge of elimination when choosing his lineup for Panama. The Crew are. Nashville isn't invincible so we need to play our best lineup and hope.

TyphonInc repped this.
  16. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with POd. Winning all of our remaining games isn't a guarantee for the playoffs. We need every point we can get. The next set of 3 points is available on Wednesday. We need to go and get all 3. The good thing is that we were able to give Mensah the weekend off (by choice or by rule, doesn't matter), so our #1 center back is as fresh as could be expected for this time of the year. That's the only squad rotation I foresee. Wormgoor sits out for Mensah. Moreira didn't got 90 and is still gaining fitness, so I would expect him to start and maybe come off again at 60 depending on scoreline.

But, all things considered, I really think this one might be the one where it all falls apart. Taking a hapless Miami squad behind the woodshed is all fun and laughs, but we're heading into a game against a solidly in the playoffs team that has made their home a fortress.

This one is tough, but in no way can we do anything but play our best players and go for the W.

Bill Archer, Minnman and TyphonInc repped this.
  17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can rest everyone when we are eliminated.

Until then, it's all hands on deck and fight like hell.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know as fans, that's what we're supposed to think. But whether we like it or not, like I said, this next match is literally the least important one of our remaining five. If we lose in Nashville, it's bad. If we lose against the Red Bulls, it's over even if we took three in Nashville.

I'm not saying mail it in. But it may not even be up to Porter in some ways, because we did just play a match Saturday. There may be some guys who HAVE to rest a little. I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if instead of riding the Hype Train, we hop the MegaBus.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We get 5 subs. They can be used for squad rotation in addition to tactical or injury changes.

TRUJDUB21, TrueCrew and Minnman repped this.
  20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These guys should be begging to play, as if their careers depended on it.

Because for a lot of them - ideally, the coach included - it is. At least their careers in Columbus.

stanger repped this.
  21. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Megabus should start. Zardes has played in 4 games in 10 days. Even if he didn't start in all that's a lot.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

They're the ones who played some pretty half assed soccer this summer. Now they have to suck it up.

Waaaaah waaaaah I'm tired doesn't cut it. They simply cannot afford to leave a single point on the table.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK and the CBs should be good, even for 3 in a week. And with Mensah returning we have some rotation there. The guys who did not play internationally just had a pretty oong break. 6 in 20 is crazy, but the rested guys should be able to string at least two together.

That leaves 8 spots. Minutes by our starters last week. In order if how essential they are.

1. Zelarayan. 73'. Played twice for Armenia during the break, starting but not finishing IIRC. Should be good for at least 60'. If we get ahead early, or trail by 2, pull him for NYRB.

2. Nagbe. '86. No international duty, so a plus there. Porter leaving him in so long suggests to me he is gonna get rotated. Or at least not start. I mean, no way he starts 5 matches in 16 days. Fraser has been pretty good. On the other hand, with no INT duty, his batteries should be fully charged, maybe he is good to start vs Nashville. I'd go for it.

3. Zardes. 78'. Played in all 3 over the break, but only started once. Zardes is a machine. He has missed tome this year, his batteries should be OK for this one. Start him.

4. Santos. 73'. Is Diaz gonna be able to play yet? Only other wide option is Tiny Vampire or Hairston. Porter got him out fairly early. Best match of the year for Pedro playing inverted on the right. I say ride the hot hand for 1 more match. No INT duty.

5. Valenzuela. 90'. A bit concerned here. Milton really looked good last game and has not been healthy for too long. Francis made the bench last week. I think there is a chance we see Francis for at least a half. No INT duty.

6. Moreira. 86'. He looked really good, like Milton. But I do not know what his fitness level is. I think King Harrison is likely. But there was no INT duty for him, so maybe not.

7. Etienne. 90'. Looked pretty good inverted on the left. Not a lot of wing depth healthy at the moment. Not sure where Diaz is at. He's young. No INT duty. Run him out again.

8. Hairston. 90'. We only have 3 CMs I trust at the moment. Gonna have to be some rotation. I think we see Fraser for someone.

I get KC's point, but I'd be planning to rest each A team guy (non GK or CB) once the next 4. We have a week off before Chicago.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diaz is still out -- H&S Protocol.

Mensah is questionable.