Another cabinet member withdraws

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by steve-o, Feb 12, 2009.

1. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123447333424979131.html?mod=djemalertNEWS

2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    That's on him. It's not as if Obama's views on stimulus were some great secret when he agreed to take the job. And, it's not Obama's job to reach an accord on disagreements with Gregg. He was picked to work for the president and carry out his policies. If he's not up to it then don't let the door hit you.

3. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't smell right. I bet they found something in the vetting process. That, or the GOP was going to rain holy hell on him during confirmation hearings.

Oh well, so much for bipartisanship. At least now Obama can say "hey I tried".

4. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a tool

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do we really need a commerce secretary?

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's on him because Obama nomitated someone who couldn't agree with his policies?

Jesus ********ing Spin.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It's not like he was sitting at his desk and someone came in and said, "guess what? Obama just nominated you for commerce!"

There are serious talks and vetting that occur before the pick is announced. There is down right negotiation -- See Hillary Clinton.

My point is that that is the period where you meet with the president's people and talk about the job and what is expected and what the President sees the position to be. If you don't want to do his bidding at that point, swell. Thanks for listening.

If you go through that process, agree to be the commerce secretary designate and then later say, that you have "irresolvable conflicts" with the president's policies and specifically cite the stimulus, then yea -- it's on him. I don't see how that is spin.

If anything, it seems to me that Gregg's republican buddies got to him and battered him with the talking points and told him he wouldn't be allowed to play in any reind . . . . I mean GOP games.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Basically, he or she is like the head of the local chamber of commerce. It is his or her job to go out to the world and sell American business. Is it critical? Probably not. Is it a good thing to have? I think so. Unfortunately, I think Richardson with his personality and diplomatic experience would have been great for the job.

Now, I guess we are left with Bill Ayers.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How do you nominate someone you obviously don't have a clue what he feels/thinks on something, unless you really didn't want him to be involved, and you were "pretending".

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Drudge is clear =>

"OBAMA BURNED: GREGG WITHDRAWS AFTER POLICIES TOO MUCH TO STOMACH"

Gregg took lots of heat for joining the administration but I am sure Obama's census hijack and his stimulus waste was just way too much for a New Hampshire Republican. Luckily he is still a Senator... Good!

Commerce seems to be a tough department for Obama; who knew!

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Chris M. said it's like the local chambers of commerce, but there's one key difference. Those are private organizations, not part of the town/state government.

Just dissolve the stupid thing. If there truly is a critical function it does, then move it to some other department.

The republic would survive.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    fyp.

Semper High!

14. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Huh.

15. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have any big problems two weeks ago when he was begging for the job. Or a couple of days ago when he accepted.

This withdrawal is, like someone already said is vetting, or threats by Boner and the Republican gang to rain holy hell on him if he didn't recant. Nice group of fellas those remaining Republicans.

16. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    It had nothing to do with Obama's policies, and everything to do with the stimulus. Maybe.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Bullshit. He lobbied for the position and he accepted the nomination on February 2, 2009. 10 days ago. Tell me how the stimulus or Obama's view on the stimulus has radically changed in 10 days.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris completely wrong again; how unique!

Sen. Gregg Statement on Withdrawing as Commerce Secretary Nominee
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...ement-withdrawing-commerce-secretary-nominee/
    "Sen. Gregg stated, "I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy."

19. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Then tell me how Obama's view on anything has changed in the past 10 days? The orig. article said the stimulus was the reason, that's the only major event that has happened in the past 10 days; other than the bank bailout plan.

It seems to me that the GOP are distancing themselves from Obama, expecting this thing to unravel. So if it does, they can play, the "I told you so" game.

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    How am I wrong? Obama's position on stimulus is the same now as it was a month ago. This guy knew that and wanted to be commerce secretary. You can have him back.

21. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a White House press release:

“Senator Gregg reached out to the President and offered his name for Secretary of Commerce. He was very clear throughout the interviewing process that despite past disagreements about policies, he would support, embrace, and move forward with the President’s agenda. Once it became clear after his nomination that Senator Gregg was not going to be supporting some of President Obama’s key economic priorities, it became necessary for Senator Gregg and the Obama administration to part ways. We regret that he has had a change of heart”.

So now that its confirmed that he wanted the job, I really think Boner and the gang must have gotten to him. Gregg is a Republican, so they probably have pictures of him with underaged male prostitutes, or siphoning off money from the 9-11 Widows and Orphans Fund, or some such activity. Boner probably threatened to 'out' him if he didn't recant.

22. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Two quotes from each side saying two separate things. Who is telling the truth?

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Deep Wilcox

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yesterday Gregg was gonna be Commerce Secretary, so he is the one changing his story.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They managed to run off all their reasonable members, or "RINOs" as they called them, and now we're left with just the pissants.