Announcement - Wizards up for sale

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Dec 9, 2004.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Announcement Discussion Thread [R]

Makes me wonder if he knows that he could sell them outside of the city pretty easily, i.e. C.A. or some of the other usual suspects, but wants to amp up local pressure with this announcement.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

or just start a thread in the DC United forum.

3. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Holy ********. Wheelock just threw us under the bus saying we were going to Rochester earlier in the year.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Should we be expecting you soon?

5. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

I wondered about this too...after all he's spent on the sport, I'm incredibly surprised that he seemed so urgent about this sale, especially when the team involved is the team in KC. I would think he would be more willing to wait a little bit to give the city a real chance to find a buyer - or at least would have made the announcement sooner so that there would be more time to find one before the '05 season begins.

Also, did anyone else catch this?
    So, basically, we won't be hearing any more official news on the sale until it has been completed. Does he already have a buyer/location in mind?

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given the media connections of two of the newest investors (Kroenke/Checketts), is there anyone in the KC area who has that kind of background that Lamar might try to court?

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Wheelock says that the rumor was 'pretty close' to being true was the Wizards to Rochester. Wow.

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Harkes interviewed for the Rhinos job, maybe?

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I realize it isn't a straight up comparison but there are Welsh teams in the English leagues(Cardiff & Wrexham).

10. Sad news after so much positive news these past months. I'm guessing that he would love for the Wizards to stay in KC, but has been unsuccessful in identifying anyone interested in buying them or in building a SSS. This is his one last shot to make someone step forward. Failing that, it will be off to wherever.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

The big money in KC that has never shown one iota of interest in sports teams is the Hall family of Hallmark Cards fame.

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Man. Not too different from having a Brazilian supermodel giving you the eye from across the bar and when you walk up to talk to talk to her, she knees you in the sack.

Oh well.

13. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

The new big money is the Garmin people who live in Olathe.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I love all the metaphors people are coming up with.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have a corrollary to Clark Hunt? The younger generation that wants to spend some cash? :p

Someone at MLS basically told me once last year that they wouuld target investors with media connections.

16. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

Don Kincaid, owner of Comets? He has the money.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe Monaco has two teams in the French league. But, Monaco doesn't have a World Cup team -- maybe, that's how FIFA kicks in. More to the point, the Toronto Blizzard and the Vancouver Whitecaps played in the old NASL -- so, it must not be impossible from the FIFA standpoint. Anyway, I was just commenting -- not taking a pro or con position.

18. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I understand it's business and he has to do what is best for him in the end, but I would think it would be easiest to get a SSS in KC since he owns the Chiefs is trying to get major renovations to Arrowhead/a new stadium. I would think he could "hide" the public funding of a SSS in the gridiron/baseball stuff and no one would notice.

I do understand he has had trouble on that front too, i'm just saying is all.

I agree with others though, this may be just a threat to KC in general (you wanna d!ck me around, see i'm starting to sell of my interests). He knows he can't do this with the Chiefs since he knows there would probably be a line around the block by the time he got back to his office, so he uses the Wizards. I think it's win-win for him. If KC wakes up and plays nice, he can always take them off the table. If they do get sold, the league (hopefully) gets a new investor and he has one less team to worry about.

Either way, I hope it doesn't drag on too long for you guys.

-dave

19. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't Hunt say to Chief season ticket holders with sideline seats "If you want to keep sideline seats you have to buy wizards season tickets."If any complain there will be someone else to take there place.

20. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

There are a couple people, but KC really lacks when it comes to the uber-rich people. I believe there is only a couple Fortune-500 companies in the city which usually ranks somewhere between 25th-30th population-wise.

Of those rich companies in KC, they're a lot more corporate owned than many and the MLS doesn't appeal to corporate owners. What I mean by that is Sprint isn't going to buy the Wizards the way some sports teams are owned by companies.

I think it is time to compile a list of potential owners and start writing some letters.

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

It's like when a chick throws a drink in your face then you say something wity to your friends to distract them from your rejection.

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great idea! Worked out well for WUSA.

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    we don't live in the old USSR or East Germany. You can't make people do things.

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does Canada have a "Top Division" professional, nationwide league?