Ankle Sprain

Discussion in 'Player' started by hawk_claw, Dec 3, 2004.

1. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    3 weeks ago i sprained my ankle during an indoor soccer game, and i went to the doc immediatly after. He did say i had a minor sprain. I was giving an air cast/stillupts (sp?). i was on crutches for about 5 days. Now after 3 weeks, today i feel great. For the past 3 days ive been going out and kicking a ball and running. And in PhyEd today i ran the pacer and got a 68 whcih is an OK score for me. I had no pain at all.
    I have a game tomorrow, and i was wondering if i should play. Running and kicking the ball and balancing on my ankle is normal. And there is no swelling, visible bruises. Should I play, and if so should i wear my air cast. I was wondering because its kinda bulky, but i have no pain running for a long time in them. Or I could tape them.Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. Malenfant

Malenfant New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Gulfport
    It sounds ok, but I'd suggest asking your doctor, I'm in no position to give medical advice.

3. scsurge22

scsurge22 New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dont wear your air cast. Tape would be better or an ankle brace specifically made for soccer would suit you better. An air cast impedes the full movement in your ankles thats needed to play soccer.

4. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Your condition is what matters. 3 weeks of rest are obviously more than just enough not to injure it again I guess.

5. hawk_claw

hawk_claw New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Wisconsin
    thanks guys, i played this morning, and I did fine. I just taped my ankle and wore a ankle cup and it was all good. We Won 3-0, i had a few shots. I did have the slightest pain this evening.

6. DOWNEY11

DOWNEY11 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    North London
    It's good to hear your injury held up well.

My personal advice would have been dependent on how bad the sprain was, did the doctor originally tell you the degree of severity?

I'm only asking because my team physio has always insisted that a bad ankle sprain is worse than breaking it because you often get pain after you play, and it leaves you suceptible to repeat injuries for a while after you sustain it...at least if you break it you recover with a stronger bone. Good luck anyways! ;)