ankle / shin soreness

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Pibe04, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Pibe04

Pibe04 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Ft. Meade, MD USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if anyone else ever had this problem . . .after a hard game of course you may be sore for a day or two . . .for me often the most sore part of my body is the top of my ankle right where my foot connects to the shin . . . when I lift my toes skyward there is soreness in my shin muscles as well . . .I always assumed it is from kicking the ball often or just wearing soccer shoes?? . . .anyone else ever have that?

2. hermsoccergrl

hermsoccergrl New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    VA
    I used to have sore ankle/shins after playing but now that i'm running cross country I haven't had that problem so far. I think its b/c I run more often or something.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This could be caused by a number of different things. First, make sure you stretch before and after the match. Also, make sure your shoes fit you correctly. Shoes that don't fit or cause discomfort may cause your body to compensate by running in an unusual pattern, causing extra stress on joints and muscles.

4. Keep

Keep New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like the beginnings of shin splints. Better to prevent them now than have to deal with them later!

A good stretch is to find a pole or wall or something, and brace your hands on the wall, then put one leg out behind you straight, the other leg bent just for balance. On the straight leg, your toe will be on the ground with your heel a bit in the air. Stretch by bringing that heel to the ground so your foot is flat on the ground with your leg still straight.

I have no idea if that made enough sense as an explanation, but it's the best I can offer! I played collegiate volleyball and suffered through shinsplints for most of a season. Once they're bad enough, they'll take several months to get rid of, so better to stretch enough now and prevent.

5. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooooo voila!

I have shin splints and I don't have the luxury of resting until it gets better. Tryouts are in two weeks and I need every bit of running I can get.

One of my volleyball friends who also gets shin splints says to tape them up. How good of an idea do yall think that would be and what's the best way to tape them?

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The tape works by creating a secondary pain that distracts from the original pain. It can be effective for short term relief. You will have to try it to see what works best for you - just don't make it so tight you cut off the circulation. You might also look at various sports and arthritis cremes (like Icy-Hot) which work on the same principle.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definetly sounds like shin spints. Had an issue with them for a season in high school. Two things to do: 1. Stretch! 2. Go to your trainers room (if you have one) and get taped up before games and practice. Tell them what your pain is and they should be able to tape them up for you. Most likely it will be a straight wrap around the shin in a effort to keep the muscles on your shins from flexing too much leading to (insert complicated medical explanation here) shin spints. A tip for next season: Be sure to work yourself into shape slowly (assuming you ever get out of shape, but most likely if you are develping ss, then you do). Try not to just jump into the season/practices/tryouts without being in decent shape yourself.