Ankle pain in 11 year old girls

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by icepickphil, Mar 17, 2008.

1. icepickphil

icepickphil New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Northeast U.S.A.
    Several of the girls on my daughter's U12 travel team have complained about ankle pain recently...particularly after a game or practice. This after a winter of indoor games, tournaments, and practices.

Any thoughts? Are the girls playing too much soccer? I wish more travel teams shut it down or at least took more time off during the winters.

2. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be a multitude of things. What kind of indoor field is it? Plain old astro-turf or field-turf. A winter on the old turf can take it's toll if they haven't played on it before. Also, what kind of shoes are they wearing? Sambas are nice and all, but don't do a lot for cushioning. I prefer them, but support wise I think they are pretty low on the scale. It could be their "training" as well. Some of my girls dont' run with the greatest of technique. They tend to run pretty heavy footed and landing flat footed. That will take its toll in indoor faster than it would in outdoor. Just a couple of things to consider. But, I will say one thing. It might be good for them to take a break from soccer for a season or two anyway so they don't get burnt out (physically and mentally). Hope that helps.

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd venture a guess and say their ball striking technique is a bit lacking...striking the ball without locking your ankle can sting a bit and over a few matches will take its toll...

I really doubt its "too much" soccer! If it were one or two of them that are wearing new boots that would be an idea but having several with the same problem??

FWIW, I'd go right back to the fundamentals of properly striking the ball....

Good luck!:D

4. icepickphil

icepickphil New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Northeast U.S.A.
    Thanks for the sugggestions. To answer some of your questions during the past winter the U12 team was practicing twice a week at an indoor school gym on hardwood floors. The indoor games have been at a tennis bubble type sports center where field turf has been put down. Their fall and spring outdoor field is 80s era astroturf and there's not alot of padding.

They're back outside now fulltime and practicing on the astroturf. My daughter wears the Samba Millenium model shoe. It has more padding than the Samba Classic. She started this past fall with Nike turf cleats but was very uncomfortable with those so she switched to the Sambas.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind also that 11 and 12 year old girls start going through alot of crazy physiological changes at that age. Growth spurts wreak havoc on ankles and knees in kids that age. I am sure playing on a hard indoor surface does not help things either

6. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ankles hurt just thinking about that twice a week.

7. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    The old fashion astroturf is a killer. I think more so than a basketball court.

I've seen heel pain on multiple kids on a team, but never ankle pain.

8. Region 1

Region 1 New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    My daughter had the same problem at this age. She suckered me into rubbing her feet whenever possible. Turns out to have been growing pains.

She's now 14 years old and has no problems, other than trying to get me to massage her, now bigger and smellier feet and being told no, that is.

9. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Your so mean. :p

10. JohnCogtosin

JohnCogtosin New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Don't get too wrapped up in the competition. Take a month of and let them rest.

chinaglia repped this.

11. i am with bird! you meanie!

agree that it is the age, growing and overworked.

12. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The "doctor term" is Sever's syndrome. Its a typical pain after running or other activities that occurs where the achilles tendon meets the ankle bone. Ice, ibuprofen and non-molded cleats (turf shoes) is the immediate treatment. Getting older is the cure.

See an orthopod to confirm the diagnosis. Once its confirmed to be Sever's the kids can play through it if the pain is not too severe.

13. soccerwithapassion

soccerwithapassion New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's growing pains. Being just a bit older then that age, I totally understand. Hardwood floor probably doesn't help either. I suggest at least a 1 month break, if that doesn't work out, then try wrapping the ankle/knee.

14. goingforbroke

goingforbroke New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    My daughter had alot of aches and pains in her ankles and knees at about 10 years old. Doc said it was growing pains and overuse. We skipped a turf practice every week(there were 3, 2 turf and 1 grass) and got her swimming more. After about 3 months she was okay. The coach went back to two practices a week because others were having problems too.

15. soccerwithapassion

Oct 16, 2008
    I am having pains in my knees... I don't know why. I think I am going to the doctor soon, so I will ask about that. It may be overuseage since I played both rec & travel this fall but in the spring I will be playing only travel in the spring, so hopefully that'll help. I never had any pain from another player or practice. I play in U13 but am close to the cut off of U14.

Does anyone have suggestions? Should I wear a knee brace?

16. icepickphil

icepickphil New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Northeast U.S.A.
    Sounds like overuse. It's good you're cutting back to travel in the spring. Maybe playing less during the winter would be wise also.

17. soccerwithapassion

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm only going to be playing once a week until December... So I hope that will help, then probably 2x Jan - whenever our spring season starts.

18. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    By any chance, are you initially OK when playing, but as you continue to play the pain gets worse? This occurred with one of my daughters around 7th grade to the point she was bearly able to run due to the pain. It affected her playing basketball. The doctor said it was a result of a growth spurt and that the cause is that the bones grow faster than does the blood supply to the new bone. What she was feeling was actually oxygen deprivation to the new bone caused by the exercise. This explained why it only occurred after about 5 or 10 minutes of running. A little time, a little rest and a little ibuprofen before games proved the answer, but you should see a doctor to make sure what you are experiencing isn't something else.

19. Ballzak

Ballzak New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    My question in this regard (as a coach of a U12 girls team) is how much to push when a player complains of pain. Don't get me wrong, we're not a super competitive "quit complaining, play now or get off the team" kind of league and never would we ask a player who tells us that they hurt to play. "If you hurt, take as long a break as you need" is what we tell them and then all we do is ask if they are ready to play again during the practice or game.

But I recognize, human nature being what it is in 11-12 year-olds that sometimes they just don't want to play and will make up an excuse to sit out. Often it is best to let those girls go but sometimes I wonder if it is to their benefit to push them a bit... to ask that they push themselves a bit which may allow them to find true success (to endure and to makes strides in something when they had felt like quitting).

Does this make sense?

20. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    It does make sense. One of my kid's coaches had a rule that they were never to play in pain, but they could play with discomfort. Defining the difference between pain and discomfort is where you begin and it actually helps both ends of the spectrum, the super competitive kid who'd play on a broken leg and the not so competitive kid whose ready to sit because they have a stitch in their side.

21. de Kromme

de Kromme Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Burbville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Surprised it was only mentioned once, but try wrapping the ankles with athletic tape.

Unless there's a medical reason not to (I haven't read any), it's the quickest way to prevent overflexing of the joint (one precursor to overuse tendinitis), and since most kids aren't very good at locking out their ankles during a kick, it's a great way to improve their ball striking as well. I've done it to my 9 year old since she started playing 2 years ago. It's a nice pre-game ritual that helps get them in the mindset for what's coming.

22. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    de kromme, there is medical evidence that you maybe be causing more problems then you are solving by wrapping the ankles of such a young player. Far better to have the child do strengthing exercises than to be providing artificial support of growing limbs.

23. de Kromme

de Kromme Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Burbville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks Bird, between this and my apparent "overbearing parent" post you've almost succeeded in running me out of here. It won't take much more.

24. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Why would you leave? Don't like hearing opinions that don't agree with yours?

25. de Kromme

de Kromme Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Burbville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not unproductive ones, no.

And, frankly, I could be asking you the same question.