Angel: Best Player We've Ever Had or Over The Hill Waste of DP Space?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by j1mbr0wn, Sep 29, 2009.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, we've been having this discussion in several other threads, so time to consolidate into one thread.

Some of us think he's still the consumate professional, a striker waiting for good service to break the backs of all our opponents. We look to examples like Ubi's cross against Chivas to point out he is still deadly when you give him service.

Others say that he's not producing with regards to his paycheck, and that he's wasting a DP spot that we could use on a younger player. They argue that his impact isn't the same as Schelotto, Blanco or even Beckham, and that we could get a striker to match his output for cheaper (like Cunningham or Casey.)

I'm more in line with the first group, but I certainly understand where the second are coming from. Even so, I'll fire off the first round with this statistic from the official RB site:

My take: Red Bull needs to step up and put together a creative mid-field to leverage the investment in Juan Pablo in order for it to pay off. I fully believe if Angel had consistant service from his team mates, he'd be running away with the golden boot this year.

If they don't invest in a creative, playmaking midfield, Red Bull ARE wasting money on a DP striker. That money could be better spent on a playmaker.

Bottom line: It's not that Angel isn't worth the DP money, it's that Red Bull is wasting his time and their investment.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who is questioning Angel's contributions to this team these past 3 season and thinks he isnt worth oneof the 2 DP spots and a league max salary cap hit is crazy.

He is only the second player in team history to hit double figures in goals scored in 3 straight seasons and owns the best MLS strike rate per games played all off time.

I agree he isnt as dominate as the past two seasons, but Osorio played him a a lone striker with no service almost the entire season.

He is worth 1 of the DP slots for sure and as long as he keeps scoring goals he will be

3. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. No question about it.

4. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metz is really the only one i've seen campaigning against JPA as a DP.

I'm not buying his goals/$ rationale or that he's an over the hill, broken down has been. Look at not just the goal, but the energy he has all over the field. When healthy and given a little service he's still the best striker in the league.
    He can't play and train day-in, day-out on fieldturf if he's going to stay healthy. At one point I think they had trained 47 out of 60 days on turf because we had such a wet year.

5. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best player this franchise has ever had. period.

It has never been his fault that inept management and coaching have never been able to build a team around him to take advantage of his ability.

6. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    he's class all the way...can't argue against that. Best player we've every had.

the team has so much to do, get a second DP and (once again) bring in 6-8 new players and draft well. JPA is maybe the one set entity we can bank on.

lets see him on grass with a solid team around him. I'd bank on 15 goals next season.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's no Gio Savarese.

8. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it! Juan Pablo Angel is the best player we've ever had and, is probably the best foreign import the Leauge has ever had. Insane Arena wasted a DP slot on Reyna, instead of getting a great Creative Midfielder. Insane JCO insisted with his speed down the flanks strategy and refused to get us a great great Creative Midfielder, plus let JPA's great option for service (Dave VdB) just walk away to Dallas. Just imagine Juan Pablo with a great player like Guevara in the midfield, or a great crosser of the ball, like VdB, on the left or right. Anyway, I believe this arguement came up because someone questioned JPA's production to what he's being paid. I'm telling you he's worth his weight in gold and it's been insane coaches that have wasted his talent.

9. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well Angel was signed as a striker and nothing else, as a field players he is a cero at the left side of the period so, now he isn't more the score maching of yesterday and tha's my argument, if we compare goal for goal, Gio goals cost to the team a mere 5 K dollars and Angel are costing untill now more than 150 K each one....And I, yes, I think Angel is over the hill...

10. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hopefully no one forgets Roberto Donadoni

11. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should use this phrase, but at current prices, he almost is getting paid his weight in gold (170lbs x $15900/lbs = $2.7M)

12. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured you'd show up sooner rather than later.

I understand the arguments you're making to support your point, but they don't hold up if your point isn't valid to begin with (bold above) and you ever exagerate all your claims. :D

Hopefully you'll be proven wrong when JPA is in the hunt for the Golden Boot again next season.

13. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    You know, isn't nothing more that I will love to see a 2007 Angel in 2010, and I hope you are right and he come to give us that happy's time that we deserve.... One thing is for sure, he will have the time and chances of redeem him self, and I will applaud every and all of his goals if they come in bunches, but 10/15 goals is a American college product in MLS average., and not for a International two million DP, who was signed because in American isn't a player who can do 20/25 goals every year....And to be the best striker in MLS history, Angel or any other player have to bit Lessieter record before....

14. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's you're criteria for a $2MM DP striker then no one is worth it. Nobody willing to play in MLS for that money is going to score that many goals, especially without a good team around him.

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    well right now the 2 leaders in MLS have 15 goals, so the league high will probably be in the 16-18 range for this season. JPA can land in that range next season, no doubt.

Why the obsession with the money/salary cap? We have another DP spot to land a quality midfielder to better the team. Would you cut Angel and sign another DP? There are so many other things we need to add, why create one more problem?

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    If this club didn't play on Field Turf, Angel would've scored more than 14 last season. Also if Agoos & Osorio didn't throw away VDB Angel would have more than 10 right now.

We need to have a creative midfielder for Angel next year and I believe Richie knows that.

17. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Angel has done great for mediocre team. Angel has no support group, Angel score with the little times he has the ball. The class of goals that Angel are very very few in MLS could score.

18. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    He still the best player ever Metro/RB who has played for us, no question about...

19. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big difference between the best player to ever play for us....and the teams best ever player.

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is and was more than half your offense since he came from England..... don't know what more you want from him

The problem with him is he isnt getting any younger or healthier and every year will get worse and worse. So the team needs to become less Angel dependant to win games.

21. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    That's the point, all started when they resign him for one more year and one year option, if he did a bad year 2008 and a super bad 2009, why you will resign him for one or two more years for, if he every year become worst and worst like you say....We have to try new people, why don't they try Johny X, I don't say he will be the substitute, but try him, you never know, no until you try them, or look for a Montero, young kids to learn and help the team, why persist in keeping this old goats for....

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seattle paid Deportivo Cali over 4 million bucks for Montero....... unless u guys do the same with other guys in SA you won't be getting a Montero.

Angel even tho is bad like u say is still your only offensive weapon. You can't drop him until you get something as good or better.

23. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not quite correct. Seattle got Montero on loan, with an option to buy. MLS (which actually bought Montero's contract from Deportive Cali) is banking on a $10 Mil+ plus payday, when they sell Montero to whatever Europen club comes calling. Theoretically, we could do the same with any cash strapped South American club. We could get a great player on loan, with an option to buy.

24. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Pablo Angel is by far the best Metro player ever… 3 seasons in and he has scored over 40 goals.

That being said Gio is among the top 3…

Donadoni was by far the MOST GIFTED and TALENTED player the team ever had, but played a merger year and a half…

Meola cannot be forgotten… Or Mathis…

But I think 15 years in Juan Pablo Angel is the greatest Metro Player….

Shocking side note I try to think of a player who played more than 5 seasons with the team and only Ramos and Petke come to mind…

25. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Magooz and in two times been here I think Wally too....