Ange Postecoglu at Tottenham Hotspur

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Dec 3, 2023.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

This manager at this club. They were made for each other.

Every interview ... everything he says is perfect. Even if we'd conceded from the disallowed late breakaway and lost ... you know what he'd've said ... and you know we'd keep going at it. We'd given the ball away cheaply over and over again, and what does he say at halftime? "I'll take the blame." Not 'stop trying it', but 'trust yourselves, and do it better'.

I am so on board with this shit it's almost embarrassing. It's not optimism ... it's love.

... did I say 'almost'? :unsure:

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The step up from Celtic was asking a lot of him. To stick to his principles and prove he's right is incredible. You have something special here.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The word authentic has been abused over the last decade, but … that’s a definition I’d ascribe to Ange.

4. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    He will get this right. I think maybe the blip is now over after yesterday's result. We should forge ahead even without our top players. This man knows what he's doing.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Had him at the top of my list and now you all know why haha.

In the past, we've had the wrong manager at the right time and the right manager at the wrong time. This time, I think we've gotten the right manager at the right time.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    He is an excellent coach. You can see what he wants to do, what kind of players he needs to make it work, and, more importantly, what kind of players do not work in his system.

My concern is with the people who run the club. If the people above Ange do not get him the players he needs, it will end like it always does with our coaches. My reservations are based on 22 years of evidence under the current ownership. The first test will be the January window. If we don't get the reinforcements we need, as was the case this summer, we will know it's business as usual at Tottenham and it's just a matter of time before Ange leaves for a club that will back him.

BalanceUT and SF19 repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Did I tell ya? :whistling:

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No coach is perfect. He does some interesting, innovative things, and some dumb things, like playing a high line against Chelsea while a man down which gifted them 3 goals.

9. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    He will get it right if his effing stupid players stop getting sent off for studs first tackles. I'd have thought that he's the sort of coach who'd GRILL it into his players to keep their discipline. He has work to do on that.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    This was Spurs in Pochettino's first year:

upload_2024-3-20_14-17-9.png

Interesting stuff, just a +5 goal difference and 58 goals scored; Ange's team has already scored 59 in 10 fewer games and has a GD of +17.

Just a bit of perspective for the Spurs fans in meltdown out there.

SF19 repped this.
  11. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm just glad we're playing mostly good football again. Going out on our shield rather than waiting for the other team to die of boredom.

I'll be the first to admit I was willing to endure Jose and Conte-ball if it meant a trophy, but those were dark days of eye-bleach football.

Golara repped this.
  12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The most important stat is the ranking. Which is 5, same as Ange. Though he prob can get to 4th.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I respectfully disagree. Where we are at this point doesn't concern me as much as where we're going.

I would elaborate, but my phone's charge is at 13% and I need to keep it functional for another hour or so, so I need to shut it down.

... I'm pretty sure that's a good thing right now.

Golara repped this.
  14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Agree about the ranking. The previous season (2013-14), we finished 6th with more points (69) under the odd-ball combination of AVB and caretaker manager Tactics Tim.

Even though we finished with fewer points under Poch, you could already see what he was trying to do.

Barring something extremely bizarre, and this is Spurs so I am not discounting anything, Ange will be the first coach to complete a full season at the helm since 2019-20. That must count for something.

15. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the future it will still be difficult to break into the top 3.
    And Chelsea and Man U won't stay down for long.
    I agree they are playing more exciting football. Though with some bad games here and there.

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is essentially the crux of my previous post. Points ... position ... at this stage they're not determinant at all, but merely vague indicators.

17. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tottenham do not have the budget to form a #1 team. They can't sign a world class player in every position. Too much debt from building a stadium.

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Actually, the stadium debt is structured in a way that is far less intrusive than one would expect. And the club's revenue generation is among the best in the League. We're very well-positioned to compete finacially with anyone, save Citeh or Newcastle (who suck), and even with them if the new profit and sustainability rules turn out to have teeth (I'm not holding my breath).

But even if you're right, who cares? We can't dominate the League for a generation ... so what? Leicester won it, for f*cks sake. And since then, Liverpool won it and have been within a hair's breath a few more times. Arsenal are at the sharp end. Money-wise, they're all as far behind Citeh, et. al., as we are. It's all about getting the footy parts right and maximizing your potential. It felt like we were getting close to that for awhile under Poch, and we're hoping we're on the right track now.

We can compete at the top, and we can win things, even if we're not fiscal favorites. That we haven't (of recent) doesn't mean we can't.

... so there.

19. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    Ange needs more than one season at "The hardest job in football" as described by Osvaldo Ardiles and others. We, along with the Tottenham hierarchy need to be patient. Traditionally Australians have been very successful in world sport and so, I feel, will this Australian be.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Obviously, this.

The only reason to think otherwise would have been abject failure, and while we might quarrel about the definition thereof, there's no denying that we're currently absolutely nowhere near it. Anyone demanding more than we've been given thus far is a pinhead.

Golara and Chickasaw repped this.
  21. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If the football authorities throw the book at Citeh like they should for breaching FFP (since they've been bumming Everton, Forest and now Leicester for the last few months), then Tottenham have a chance of winning things on a slightly more eventful playing field.

Phillyspur repped this.
  22. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember an interview where Levy said they have the most debt in the PL and that limits their spending.
    Also, a big difference between us and the top 3 teams is that they all have long term managers. They do not fire the manager after a string of bad losses like Tottenham and Chelsea do. Arsenal finished 8th a few years ago and they stuck with Arteta.
    A constantly rotating door of managers isn't a good way to do things, if you are trying to build.
    Still lame that they fired Jose just before a cup final.
    But I agree that Ange seems to be a legit manager.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Apparently Levy has been amongst the frontrunners in the pursuit of stricter profit and sustainability rules for Premier League clubs. Which obviously makes sense, as he's put us in a position to compete at the highest levels with regard to legitimate footy revenue streams.

... still gotta get the footy bits right, though. :unsure:

24. Chickasaw

Chickasaw Member

Spurs
    England
    May 8, 2022
    If the football authorities do deduct points from City then basically we gain CL football via the back door so to speak or by default. Ok yes, great, we are at the top table but I'd prefer we gained it by our own efforts, more deserved that way and it proves that we are good enough for it.

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    One concern that is emerging with Ange is his tactical inflexibility, which is similar to Conte.

Under the Italian, his 3-4-3 was very effective until teams figured out how to stop it, much like his time at Chelsea. His answer was, get me better players, I have won 5 league titles playing like this.

Ange is very similar in that respect and it is pretty obvious that the opposition has figured out his system. Like Conte, he has hinted that he needs better players to have success with his system. I agree, but in the PL you also have to adapt, whoever you are. Klopp did it, Guardiola did it and Arteta did it. Even Poch would change his formation, sometimes within the same game.

If he doesn't adapt, the knives will come out if we continue to get hammered by the likes of Brighton, Fulham and Newcastle.