Andrulis sacked

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Foosinho, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announced on local Columbus news this morning as breaking news. Press conference scheduled for 10AM today.

http://huntparkinsider.com/

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Great! Who is the new coach? Sigi?

He seemed like a really nice guy but this just had to happen

No more excuses for Buddle and Martino

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno yet. They'll announce it at 10. Best odds are, IMO, Warzycha as interim, Sigi, followed by Harkes.

Those are the rumored names (Sigi and Harkes), but HSG likes to hire from within, or at least give those guys a shot as interim, so Warzycha has to be the heavy favorite right now.

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    This sucks. More competition in the East now. I was hoping he would last the season.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I would think that Warzycha is part of the problem, they need a new broom to sweep clean (clean house as it were). Sigi would be a good choice with his experience but Harkes would be a bold move and a breathe of fresh in a league that continually recycles coaches.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - it's really that ethical dilemma over what's best for MLS vs what's best for your team :)

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    they most definatley need to clean sweep.

we really havent had fresh blood as coach since the league was founded. literally.

timo was fired and replaced by his assistant, fitzgerald (named interim, the team initially responded well, he got the permenant title), who was later fired and replaced by his assistant, andrulis (named interim, the team responded well to the change initially, he got the permenant title)...

so hopefully they wont do it again to us, cause, really, it leads nowhere.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Wizards have only had one change in 10 seasons, and that was not from within. Assistant Ken Fogarty did run the team for three games before Gansler was hired, but Bob had not affiliation with the franchise previously.

I know that Columbus has promoted assistants in the past. Perhaps it's more of a Crew thing than an HSG thing.

10. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin Clarke was a Mike Jeffries assistant, although it was rumored that they were after SMU's coach before he turned 'em down.

11. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adios greg it was a llooooonnnnngggggggg time coming..

12. stinky

stinky New Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i'm just glad we did the razov for woly before this happened.

13. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
  14. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I like it!

Good news for the league, and perhaps the Crew can pick themselves up and make something of the 2005 season. I really hope all the people who said they were staying away because of him now show up to games, Crew Sadium has been looking like a ghost town lately (on tv).

15. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finallly. I checked these boards a few times yesterday expecting to see this thread. Not seeing it made me question if I could continue supporting an organization that was beginning to look like they had no concern for the product being put on the field.
    I agree with the sentiments about bringing in new blood. At the same time, I would not be totally opposed to giving Robert a shot. Some people I know who know him seem to think that he would bring a different style to the Crew despite what we see now.

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the difference between Andrulis and any other coach that was losing a lot? Why do the fans/FO/Columbus media don't like him? Is he an arrogant snot that won't talk to anyone or take advice?

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Actually he is the opposite of arrogant, he was hapless. Poor results were usually due to the soccer gods, world class goals by the opponents, or poor finishing by our forwards. His offense was primitive. We would bunker when tied. He was oblivious to his inadequacies. He is the Peter principle personified.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm one of the fans who'd been boycotting due to the Druler. I called the ticket office today to reup my season seats (and get some Mexico tix). They said they were doing steady business today.

19. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Thank God. Why HSG took so long to do what even the most patient Crew fan could see needed to be done, I don't know. I almost think the only reason they did it was because the attendance was dropping and they think changing coaches will bring the fans back.

To answer the earlier question about why so much ire is directed Andrulis' way by Crew fans, I'll offer my speculation. First, the perception is that the team, while perhaps not the most talented in the league, still has enough good players to do better, and those players have accomplished nil largely because of Andrulis's poor tactics. Buddle and Martino are the two biggies there--two guys with the talent to be national teamers, who not only don't seem to be getting better under Andrulis but are actually getting worse. Aside from the issue of the players, all you need to do is watch the team play. They don't look like a professional team; they play like a bunch of guys who met Sunday morning outside the YMCA.

Second, I think Andrulis is catching a lot of the flak that the Crew organization (or HSG, whatever) should be getting for leaving him in his position for far, far too long. The Supporters Shield the team won in 2004 was the worst thing that could have happened to the Crew, because it gave some people the idea that the team was playing well. It wasn't. But as a result of the 2004 "success" they stuck with Andrulis even when it should have been obvious that they weren't going to accomplish anything without a new coach.

I'm afraid that the earlier posters were right when they suggested that they might make Warzycha the head coach. I hope I'm wrong about that. Sigi would be okay; Harkes, I'm not sure. If we're going for a retread, the guy I'd like to see would be Octavio Zambrano. I know many will recoil in horror at that thought, but don't worry, I'm sure they'll never do it.

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes would be another Bruce Arena cronie, not what I call a breath of fresh air.

but at least he would be coach that not coached in MLS before.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really a rumor. It never got that far. Schelus took his name out of the running when their were still 6 candidates. Word has it that the money was not good enough.

It never got to the stage that Schelus was the last candidate or that he got an offer.

But Hunt's kid Dan was a captain for Schelus at SMU and that's can't hurt his chances to be involved in any HSG hire list.

Figure Brian Bliss' name will pop up too.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem for Hyndman is that it would take a lot of money to pry him out of his cushy coaching gig on the Hilltop, where he makes a nice salary to basically contend every year and there's never the same kind of pressure to win the championship that there would be in the pros.

23. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back.

I hope there are 5,000 more just like you.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, even if Andrulis was predominantly successful, he was still doomed. There was a rather large contingent of Crew faithful that thought he wasn't the right guy for the job to begin with, and they were hell-bent on being right, even when evidence to the contrary was piling up.

For example... even when the Crew were in the middle of an 18-match unbeaten streak, en route to their first ever Eastern Conference Championship and their first Supporters Shield, people were still looking for anything and everything they could to pin on the guy. And I'm not saying there wasn't room for criticism. But no one was even willing to give GA the slightest bit of credit ever, for anything.

Disagree with methods all you want, but the fact is, Greg Andrulis DID win an Open Cup title. Greg Andrulis DID lead his team to a Supporters Shield. Greg Andrulis DID coach a team that went 18 unbeaten. Any credit among Crew fans? Hell no. They weren't exciting to watch, and they didn't blow people away, so Greg was an idiot.

It's a symptom of being a Crew fan... anything that goes right is because a player stepped up, and anything that goes wrong is because GA is a jackass. And if you try to argue otherwise, you're wrong.

Bottom line: Greg Andrulis needed to go. Probably six or seven matches ago. But there are enough reasons to call for his dismissal without having to make stuff up, or to completely ignore every good thing that happened.

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. That was the word on the street when he pulled his name form the last FCD coach search.

I just figure the Dan Hunt connection makes him a life time short list name for HSG teams.