Andrew Sarega on trial at CFR Cluj (Romania)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Liviu, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    [​IMG]

According to a report posted on CFR Cluj's official website and other sources, Andrew Sarega (18 y/o) is on trial with the club. Sarega is an offensive midfielder in his first year at Biola University. According to his father, Andrew Sarega has already received an offer from an unnamed club out of Switzerland. However, his father is a big admirer of Dorinel Munteanu, CFR Cluj's head coach/player who was a major player in Romania's best ever team in WC '94 and still a starter on Romania's NT, and would love to see his son develop under Munteanu's leadership. Munteanu stated that he is "impressed" with Andrew Sarega and is looking forward to seeing him continue his trial with the club.

CFR Cluj currently sit 4th in Romania's Divizia A and have a chance to be in the UEFA Cup. CFR Cluj barely missed out on participating in the UEFA Cup this year as they were eliminated in the final of the Intertoto Cup by RC Lens.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Good find matey!

I guess you know him? Are we positive he's American (jw).

3. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    No, I don't know him, but was made aware of him by Romanian TV, which I receive by sattelite and did some research.

As to whether he's American? Pretty sure, and the club's website's report calls him "an American". His father left Romania 20 years ago and arrived in Los Angeles 19 years ago. Andrew Sarega is 18 years old. I'd say he was born here.

If he ever makes it proffesionally though and develops into a player worthy of playing on a NT, you never know what he's going to choose though. His father was born in Romania and played proffessionally there until he left, and is obviously still attached to the country. This is obviously way out there cuz it could turn out that Sarega isn't any good, but he is eligible to play for Romania as well.

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well good job. I agree that he could play for Romania, if he ever gets good enough.

I wonder if he's an 87, he probably is, because that would make him eligible for WYC 2007.

5. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    biola university is not d1- its NAIA. i have a problem getting hyped over a kid that isnt even playing top level university football. With that said. Make me wrong! I hope he makes me eat crow and comes out of nowhere

6. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I'm not hyped either, but the choice of school can be misleading. I believe his father is a Romanian-American Evangelical Christian and Biola University is a Christian Evangelical college in LA - close to where the family resides. Having Romanian-American Evangelical Christian parents myself, I can tell you that it's likely that the soccer program was not the top priority in the choice of school. His father probably sent him to Biola because it's a private Christian Evangelical school and it's in LA. Reading the article, it looks like his father has alot to do with his choices since it sounds like his father pays all his bills. You guys may find it weird but in Romanian culture, a kid is not usually "free" when he turns 18 and it's common for parents to fully support their children past their 18th birthday.

I checked out the conference awards, and Sarega is 1 of only 2 freshman to make the All-Conference team. At least he's a big fish in a small pond. ;)

I'll post back when his trial at CFR Cluj ends and they give some news.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty bold statement considering right here in our state, Lindsey Wilson, an NAIA school, has produced numerous professionals and is known for their development and great facilities. I see where you are coming from, though, I was just making a point that it doesn't matter where you come, talent is talent and getting to any professional level is an accomplishment.

8. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    talent is talent - scottie pippen (arkansas pine bluff), shawn kemp (community college), ben wallace (community college), and numerous others did not play big time university ball but become all-stars in the top league.
    I hope he proves me wrong but i have a tough time believing he would step right into the first team of a uefa cup squad and if he couldnt, why would he want to leave la for romania (even if his pops exerts great influence over him)???

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Brent Goulet, the US Soccer player of the year in 1987 and a member of the 1988 US Olympic team, played at Warner-Pacific, an NAIA school.

Tyrone Marshall played at the aformentioned Lindsey Wilson for two years before moving to FIU. He went on to be an MLS first round draft pick and play for Jamaica in a boat-load of international games.

Several other former NAIA players have followed suit and gone on to a D-I program and then MLS.

Tenywa Bonseu played at an NAIA school (Martin Methodist) and had a pretty good run in MLS.

It's not the motherload, but there is talent in NAIA so I think it's premature to dismiss a kid just because he plays NAIA ball instead of DI.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Skill wise, the Romanians have always been top notch. I assume most folks here remember Florin Raducioiu, Gheorghe Hagi, Gheorghe Popescu, Viorel Moldovan, Adrian Ilie, et al. It's not a bad place to get some training.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    FWIW, I'll add that Romania is ranked 15th by Elo, just 3 points behind the US (14th) and 5 ahead of Mexico and Poland (tied for 16-17th). So it's far from being a soccer wilderness.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Elo?

13. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    There's no reason to diminish the kid, and it doesn't to say that he had a very good freshman season at a fairly mediocre NAIA school. That doesn't make him an MLS prospect yet, and he's going to trial with a team that is probably about equal to an MLS side. So, what I'd come away with is that connections mean a lot when it comes to European trials. No surprise really.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Consider it a rough version of BCS college football rankings...

http://www.eloratings.net/

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Duh! Electric Light Orechestra, dude.

Don't Bring Me Down. Can't Get It Out Of My Head. Turn to Stone. Sweet Talkin' Woman. I'm Alive.

C'mon dude, these are classics. And, what a light show in concert.

My first concert ever was ELO/Foreigner at the Capital Center in like 1979 or 80. I think it was Toys for Tots show. I was in eighth or 9th grade and thought I was SOOOOOO cool getting to see those guys in concert.

Damn, I'm old!

16. steaua86

steaua86 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    hello everybody!
    i personally know andrew sarega, since we are playing together for the OC Seahorses in Coast Soccer League.
    he is a good player, he started last year with Biola Eagles and now he is trying for CFR Cluj, 4th in Romanian first division. Yes, he was born in L.A. and he plays soccer since he was a kid.
    he has some good skills, i don't think he will make the first team, but he may be sent to CFR' sattelite tem, Unirea Dej in second division. along with Andrew, there is another player trying for CFR Cluj, Marius Rus, 21, born in Bistrita, Romania. he currently lives in LA. really good center defender, he also may be sent to Unirea Dej.
    both these guys are skilled players, one big disadvantage: not having a built, strong body.
    i wish them luck and the best, as they are my friends.

17. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Great to hear something from someone who knows him. Please continue to give us updates.

Do you know which National team he's a bigger fan of - USA or Romania?

Do you know what his opinion on MLS is compared to Romania's Divizia A?

Let him know we're following him on BigSoccer. It would be great if he wants to register here and talk to us.

(Poli Timisoara bate toata tara! :D ;) )

18. steaua86

steaua86 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Liviu, Il mananca taica-sau daca nu tine cu Romania!
    desi la ce echipa nationala avem noi acum, mai repede ar tine cu USA!

7 Mai 1986: Teoharie Coca-Cozma- "suntem finalisti! am castigat cupa!"

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, it looks like he didn't stick at Cluj... Any other news on Andrew?

20. kjharen

kjharen New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    hes definitely an american player, he was on my team in high school and i played with the guy everyday. and he was born in 87. a really good player

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information, and welcome to BigSoccer.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The trial was 2 years ago.

What happened to him since?

Googling:

Written October, 5, 2007. His whereabouts are given as "FC Drobeta l-a" (achiziţionat pe Andrew Sarega)

From the looks of it, they're in the Romanian 2nd division.

http://www.editie.ro/mod.php?mod=stiri&idstire=51699

23. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this is sort of comparable to the Etchu Tabe story.
    I wish I were Romanian. Half-kidding. :p

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999