Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I hesitate to get involved here, but I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to admit both sides. Atlanta probably didn't handle Carleton right in terms of motivation, discipline and opportunity, though it's hard to tell from the outside. They do seem a bit more old school and hardline, and you can see where that might not have resonated.

That said ... I don't know why Carleton supporters can't seem to admit a lot of this is his own doing. You say his play earned more chances, and yes, he looked decent in MLS play ... but his practice habits obviously didn't. Is the team supposed to reward someone who isn't working hard? Yes, there are players who could party and be elite, but Carleton isn't that guy.

He didn't work hard. Two coaches, multiple teammates have said this. He partied the night before MLS Cup when he was supposed to be on the bench. There was a potential chance right there, and Carleton decided to stay out half the night instead of be prepared.

No one is doing Carleton any favors by pretending Atlanta broke him. He's incredibly talented, and still young enough to turn it around. But he's not talented enough to not work at it. And it's clear he hasn't worked at it.

So sure, put some blame on Atlanta. But Carleton needs to should the bulk of it.

2. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    There is only one person on these boards who has denied any fault at all for Carleton, so the notion that there are a bunch of Andrew Carleton fanboys who hold him blameless in all of this is false.

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I've watched Carlton play in MLS he didn't stand out to me at all. In fact he seemed rather pedestrian in the USL matches. Did I miss something?

largegarlic and frankburgers repped this.
  4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    He has very good technical skills and vision. It’s offset by a lack of athleticism and burning drive IMO.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that perfectly encapsulates AC.

DHC1 repped this.
  6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh I don't think he struggles. It's in USL, yeah, but it's top of the table team that plays for results. I think this will be a pretty good loan for him both in learning how to win a place in the first team and seeing how much hard work matters.

frankburgers and USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if he'll do enough to ever jump back up into national team conversation but if a kid can go to college and join MLS around 21-22 and then play a few years and then make the national team I'd say he still has a chance to turn everything around. he'll have to work hard but it's still there if not nearly the opportunity he once had.

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Again, I would only add that Atlanta admits they had no idea how to develop the kids they signed. So, we do know that part.

You can read between the lines, but these aren't facts. I doubt you are too far off. I've consistently just added the caveats that Atlanta is not blameless. Atlanta has a lot of fans, and they tend to want to wash their hands of the situation. Could Carleton have overcome all this? Maybe, but no other kid has.

As a USMNT fan, I don't only wonder, "what could have been" if he hadn't signed with Atlanta. I wonder the same for Goslin. I worry for Bello. I wonder who else will be dumb enough to sign with them.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Most will double down and blame Atlanta for everything under the sun. In fact the groundwork for their argument has been laid out in the post above this.

frankburgers repped this.
  10. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It is also a fresh start in a new environment away from his sphere of influence in Atlanta, which is probably the most important factor.

I thought his play in USL for ATL II was rather indifferent for the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the season, but the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the season Carleton was strong. The play late in the season was likely why Atlanta held onto him.

I don't think their is a question of if Carleton can play on the USL level, but moreso does he want to play on this level. If so then he should have a stronger group around him to better flourish and then move up to MLS or perhaps Europe next year.

He is 19, so nothing is off the table for him at this point. Certainly farther away than it was 3 years ago, but still on the table.

I do think the athleticism is an legit issue. At 16-17 you could hope that perhaps Carlton would make a minor jump, but now at 19.5, he is what he is and that lowers his ceiling to some extent.

xbhaskarx, USSoccerNova and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Lol

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I read that article so differently.

I don't think Atlanta is apologizing for crap. I think it's largely a non-apology that's basically like "it's our fault he's such a spoiled brat he won't work" which is really just saying "he's entitled" with a fake apology.

It's not to say I think Atlanta doesn't bear some blame. I just think this was their way of throwing Carleton under the bus without getting yelled at for doing so.

But over many sports and many years of watching development, a prospects personal work ethic is paramount. So many people have questioned Carleton's that it's pretty hard to say that it isn't questionable.

It doesn't really matter if Atlanta gave him a chance once he performed or if their coaching is good. Most of that ethic comes from the player -- a coach can influence, but coaches don't create hard workers out of nothing.

It's not too late for Carleton to change. He's young, and sometimes you just need a wake up call. You can blame Atlanta some for not knowing how to do that ... but at the end of the day, a player has got to want to work.

So far he hasn't.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    never forget atlanta united rolling out young carleton during their inaugural campaign like some kind of local hero/messiah figure. what do you think that does to an ego?

14. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.atlutd.com/post/2020/01..._medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Officially Official. Interesting quotes from Boca.

“We believe it is time for Andrew to challenge himself in a new environment,” Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. “We remain optimistic about his future and are looking forward to seeing what he will accomplish with Indy.”

I don't want to dredge through a conversation about faults and etc., but I do think that last sentence is true that ATL still think he can turn into a good player. Otherwise I think he would just play for ATL2 or cut him entirely.

Indy does have a great environment for a USL team, very good setup, good coach, solid teammates.
    I think I speak for everyone here in hoping he has a great season with Indy!

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by develop?

We've seen two highly regarded coaches, both with a track record of playing youth, deciding Carleton wasn't 1st team quality and actually decided to keep him away from the team.

Development to me suggests the academy/youth level. Is that the level you're suggesting Carleton is at? Because once you get beyond that it's generally a question of does the coach have confidence you can help the 1st team. At that point it's not that much about development other than being good enough to get on the pitch and learn thru experience.

16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Let’s hope Indianapolis can handle the influx of lean consumption

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think that is simplistic. To think development stops at 17 and you either make it or not is silly. Look at Aaron Long. He wasn't good enough in Seattle or Portland. Picked up by an MLS team that does develop players and has a path to the first team. Now he is the starting CB on the USMNT.

Sorry, not only are you not finished at 17, the next years are pivotal.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say development stops at 17.

The stage of development beyond the academy level largely requires playing at the 1st team level and getting experience. It's a different stage of development.

So again, where does ATL carry the brunt of blame when the player in question, in the eyes of two highly respected coaches, felt he wasn't good enough to make the jump to the 1st team? It's the players' responsibility to show at the youth level or in training he's good enough to help the 1st team. Players like Pulisic and Reyna were so dominant at the youth level that another club would swoop in if BVB doesn't ultimately transition them to the 1st team.

People like to point to a club like BVB giving young players like Pulisic and Reyna a chance. Often lost in the convo is there's dozens of others who themselves never showed they're good enough to take that step and get the chance. In ATL where you're accusing them of being horrible at development, they helped develop Miles Robinson into an MLS Best XI defender at 22 and a full NTer.

Meanwhile with Carleton apparently available for every other club on the global market to say, hey, ATL sucks at player development, let's grab him and turn him into the star he should be, only a USL team came and took that on...

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    what kind of players is that?

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Great to see he's putting in the work!

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on Carleton?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On twitter I've seen a few clips of him flashing some skill over the last few weeks.

But I don't have the time to watch the USL. Or the desire.