Andres Mendoza

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jericho, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This. I don't care who you think you are, there is absolutely no need to be a dick to your teammates or the fans, no matter how you think they've wronged you.

2. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose that if Mendoza works to be a part of the team (and score goals) that will happen quickly.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You have a very thin skin.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You have even thinner skin. I'm sorry he personally offended you.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both fair points from Dave and Crewfan.

I'm certainly not going to try to make anyone specific someone's favorite Crew player, especially not Mendoza, but I just hope, at a minimum, we can collectively stop deriding the guys, especially at games. On forums = fair game.

Chanting for Renteria when other forwards are introduced should go.

6. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, my skin is fine, tyvm. He never offended me, personally, but I don't think he's ever had the right to 'shhh' fans or call them ignorant like he did. And I don't think that he reserves the right to set his own rules in a match that are against the coach's. He's in it for himself. He's a dick. And I'll criticize that all I want to.

If he scores goals for us, great. But it won't be difficult for me to see him go in the end either.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I mean, I don't understand what's so difficult for certain people to understand about this. "I hope he does well" and "God, what a dick" don't have to be exclusive concepts.

I said before the season started that if he scores a boatload of goals, I'll warm up to him, and most people will as well. But you know what? I'm starting to change my mind. I said that during a time when I thought the biggest issue with him was his one-dimensional play and his lack of running. I hadn't envisioned a series of attitude issues like what we've seen.

On the field, I don't think he's doing all that great, but he's doing well. He's got five goals (two PK's). Our midfield was so inept for a while that there really wasn't much he could do. Now he seems to be getting on track a little. But he's still not blowing anyone away. Having said that, I'd say he's trending upward, so good for him/us.

But even then... what's going to get people off his back, as hang is bemoaning, is when he stops being an asshole. When he stops shushing the bench and the crowd. When he stops stealing PK's. When he stops walking out on the team when he gets subbed out. He's got to stop following up his good achievements with dick moments. If he has a hat trick next sunday and then runs to the Nordecke and gives the double-bird after the third goal, he'll get torched again, even though some yahoos will only want to talk about the goals. But it's not that simple. You can't have a horrible attitude and then be surprised when people complain about your attitude.

8. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ante Razov. There's a Razov Rule.

9. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was right when he called the fans ignorant those fans need to accept that they were wrong. Mendoza is single handedly carrying this team to the playoffs and eventually to the MLS Cup. Sorry that he made some of you look like idiots a through a quote to a reporter when he was right. Last night after he scored he did the shoosh celebration wheres the outrage at that?

10. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Uh... he didn't taunt his own fans?

Just a guess.

11. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've missed the point or you're just trying to get a reaction...

12. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So either troll or idiot?

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're ignorant.

14. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    both

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    that reminds me of the time Megatron said to Starscream "you are either lying or stupid."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeynwU5YS2o"]YouTube - ‪Starscream is stupid‬‏[/ame]

16. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like a true Mendoza hater. We all know who the ignorant people are and they were at CCS booing Mendoza when he took the pk and now theyre butt hurt that Mendoza exposed them with a quote to a reporter.

Viva Mendoza

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait... you're saying that the mere act of calling someone ignorant doesn't make them ignorant? Gee. What a concept.

I'm sorry genius... what exactly have we been saying about Mendoza that was completely untrue? Where's the ignorance? Just because he's a dick that doesn't like being called a dick doesn't mean the people calling him a dick are ignorant.

18. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Seriously, why are we allowing this Viva Mendoza trolling to continue? People are clearly trolling the forums.

19. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    viva warzycha!

20. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 100% completely laughable. Sure Mendoza finished the shot and that's great, but he'd get shit on that play if it wasn't for Anor.

This is a team sport. GBS never carried us single handedly and neither does or will Mendoza. And I'd even argue that GBS played a more pivotal role back in his days with our club than Mendoza is right now.

You should be shot :p

21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    One thing about GBS is that he was a leader and he knew how to get the best out of his team mates. Mendoza problem is the fact he is willing to throw everyone under the bus. I hope he proves me wrong but that is the vibe i get from Mendoza.

22. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who exactly did he throw under the bus? Our #1 striker wanted to take a PK and JC agreed he should take it.

How has Mendoza tried to hurt the team? Can you name one instance? The guy may not hustle for every ball but he buried the PK. He put his money where his mouth was. It's talk like this that needs him to shush some more.

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham didn't agree, he relented for the sake of the team rather than put up a more embarrassing public stink about it.

Mendoza's actions threaten to erode the foundation of the team.

24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubbish. Manure. Fantasy. Crap. Insanity.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I'm not the biggest Mendoza fan, but the reason strikers get the big bucks is that they finish opportunities like the pass from Anor. He's about the only one that's done that this season. Yeah it's a team sport but certain positions are crucial too. Nor will I argue the relative importance of GBS vs Mendoza--they did not truly play the same position. Mendoza is an out and out striker, which we haven't really seen since Cunningham was last here. I suspect I'm a bit sensitive to these arguments since I was a striker in my playing days--and I often looked terrible. But the ball went in the net. A lot. Sure, I rarely would have scored without that final, good pass. But a knack for the goal seems to be something that you cannot teach (I think it can sometimes be learned, but even there, I'm not sure). Mendoza seems to have it--or at least enough of it that he's scored where everyone else has had trouble doing so. Thus, I'll have a little more patience as a result. Is he a diva? Yes. Great scorers often are. Can we afford that? The jury is still out. But you can afford it a lot more when you are winning due to those goals.