Andre "Luque" Luiz Queiroz Costa at Leganes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Andre actually made the move last month, signing a two-year contract with Vallecano. I'm told that he could've stayed at Real Madrid, but this moved him up the latter (from the U17s to the U18s) at what is, obviously, nevertheless a smaller club.

Naturally, he also stays in Madrid. The decision wasn't easy, for what I assume are obvious reasons, but the family is excited and optimistic. Here's a recent photo:

[​IMG]

Perhaps most pertinently: Andre very recently became a U.S. citizen, so he's now ready and willing, as they say, to take a callup if one is offered. Congrats and welcome, Andre!

Gacm32, SCSAutism, sakibomb523 and 13 others repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Oh, and: @bungadiri, @dark knight or @TheFalseNine, could we please change the spelling of his name in the thread title to "Luiz" from "Luis" when you get a moment? Many thanks.

Gacm32, bungadiri, ChuckMe92 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And, of course -- duh -- we could say "at Rayo Vallecano," too.

bungadiri, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  5. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Very exciting. And thanks for the excellent detective work on this and so many other threads. BigSoccer wouldn't be the same without you, Dave!

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's kind of you to say. As you know, I'm just one of many who try to contribute here, all of us for our own (presumably bizarre) reasons. My personal motivation: It gives me cover to make lots of dumb jokes.

Gacm32, Eighteen Alpha and USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Posted an IG story of him flying to the US w/ a USMNT tag, pretty confident he's on the Nike friendlies roster

ChicagoVT, Gacm32, Sombrerito and 9 others repped this.
  8. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    So what his position?? CAM? CM? Winger?

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He played the first half of the second U.S. game last night, against Turkey. What I saw in that short time was pretty good skill, movement and physical presence, a guy who can play with his head up and look to make plays or open up the field but is also pretty capable in tight spaces and can make quick plays in possession.

He put a shot on goal from outside the box that was reasonably well hit though right at the keeper. He showed some hustle, too, and picked up some "effort fouls."

From a U.S. YNT perspective, it's always interesting seeing a lefty who isn't playing an out-and-out attacking wing. Just gives the squad a different look.

Playing his first minutes with the team, it seemed to me that there were definitely some "unfamiliarity" issues out there -- some instances where he might reasonably have expected to get the ball right back from the guy he gave it to but didn't, and also some moments where he thought he might be given the ball in certain places (often, small spaces where he would probably very quickly move it along) but didn't. He certainly didn't look out of place.

11. Ruy Lessa

Ruy Lessa Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Madrid
    Giovana makes her first team debut

15-year-old Giovana Queiroz, Andre´s sister, joined Madrid CFF in 2017 and rose through the ranks before becoming a squad member of the B team.
    Gio made her debut for Madrid CFF last Sunday's match against FC Barcelona at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper in the 42th minute.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    She was called up to the USGNT U17s in June, by the way:

FORWARDS (8): Trinity Byars (Solar SC; Richardson, Texas), Giovana Costa (Madrid CFF; Weston, Fla.), Amelia Horton (Sporting Blue Valley; Olathe, Kan.), Simone Jackson (LAFC Slammers; Redondo Beach, Calif.), Karlie Lema (MVLA; Morgan Hill, Calif.), Arianna Manrique (Tophat; Buford, Ga.), Allyson Sentnor (South Shore Select; Hanson, Mass.), Amelia White (Fort Wayne United FC; Fort Wayne, Ind.)
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...onal-team-heads-to-training-camp-in-san-diego

Also was with them for a European trip in May. She's an '03.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Andre is on the move again -- this time to the U19s of CD Leganes. (He was at Leganes before joining Madrid.) Of course, if you'd rather not hear it from me, it's also part of his Twitter bio.

He could use some new followers, by the way! (He seems to have recently revived a long-dormant account.)

https://twitter.com/andre10luque

Here's an action photo in his new togs:

[​IMG]

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    By the way, I'm told Andre's new nom de guerre (I'm sure there's a better way to say that in Spanish, but I don't know it) is "Andre Luque," with "Luque" a contraction of "Luiz Queiroz."

So perhaps a thread title like...

Andre "Luque" Luiz Queiroz Costa at CD Leganes​

... would make sense. @bungadiri, @dark knight or @TheFalseNine, could we make the switch?

I should've noted, by the way -- Vallecano got relegated, so this change keeps Andre with a La Liga team.

15. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    She played for the US, Spain, and Brazil U17 teams! It must be some sort of record. But she was capped by Brazil senior team last December. She is part of the Brazilian WNT roster for SheBelieveCup. I think it is clear she chose to represent Brazil.

Regarding Andre, his chances of breaking into Brazil NT without playing in any Brazil U team is zero. So you should hope that he develop as best as possible to be able to represent the USMNT.

16. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Sorry, she isn't cap-tied she only played a friendly with senior Brazil WNT

Winoman and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  17. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With North Texas in MLS Next Pro?

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Boysinblue, Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.