Anderson's Debut

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 433tom, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Both good Posts DS. I totally agree. Anderson will take the longest to settle in. Its going to take time for him to get use to the pace of English Football, but more mportantly he needs time to get to know the traits and movements of his fellow players. Thats much more important to his game than either Nani's or Hargreaves. Good observation that reserve footie will do him no good. He needs to get as much time with the first team as possible.

2. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    He didn't look anything like a winger last night. I thought he did better when he seemed to swap positions with Hewson in the second half.

3. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    Sorry, let me rephrase that, I think he could play as a wing-forward a la Ronaldinho did it at Barca for the last two years or so...

4. skeeta

skeeta Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Central London
    That would be a total waste of his abilities. We would not be get anything remotely close to his full value.

He has truly exceptional vision and passing range that dwarfs Cantona at his peak, dribbling skills and strength on the run, central attacking midfield is the best place to maximise his output.

Anderson has a great attitude, pace, technical ability and hunger.

BTW...Anderson is vastly superior talent to Nani.

5. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Mate, I hope you're right.

6. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree.

7. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for posting that. Those of us who were less than impressed by his debut (though I didn't have high hopes for his first foray into EPL football against a classicly hard to break down Sunderland side) should listen to the wise Ferguson and give him plenty of time. He's only 19.

Frankly, I don't think we'd be worried at all if we weren't feeling a bit of the pinch right now after dropping points early and missing Rooney and Ronaldo. We probably wouldn't have seen Anderson until he was fully fit and integrated, so it's not fair to judge him when he was thrown in to the mix in an "emergency" situation.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

he is capable of running 60 yards beating 5 or 6 players on the way. But he also plays that 10 style. I wouldnt compare him to Riquelme, as he is more dynamic, but he likes to pick out a pass as well.

He isnt a runner though like a Ronaldo for example.

9. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    and my girlfriend wants a anderson jersey cause she read he's gentle in bed...

ROFL!!!!

10. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    lol, at least your gf has some interest in football:)

11. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Or maybe just intersted in guys with dreadlocks who are good in bed. ;)

12. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    He's OK, My opinion hasn't changed in the slightest on him since I wrote his review almost 2yrs ago. If we're looking for steady and dependable he could stick around. If we're looking for dynamic, pacey and threatening on the overlap, he stands no chance at all.

I don't think he'll make it here. His position is being stocked up and unlike Simpson, we've shown absolutely no sign any faith will be put into this lad. There's 3 LB's at the club, more if you want emergency cover and one young Brazilian on the way.. by contrast, there's only 1 RB in Gary and bunch of psuedo-not-really-up-to-it RB's in Danny's way - we have not brought a RB in, which is the most telling thing of all. Eckersley has been totally bypassed on his flank. I doubt he'll be here much longer as age is catching up with him.

Not sure which division he'll end up in either. He's a hard player to forecast on because of his way of playing and the way his development keeps improving in that really, really slow but steady fashion. He could be a dependable left-back for some team in the prem just as easily as he may stop developing tomorrow and be in the lower leagues for the rest of his career.

I'm not sure how you got anything like him being a runner from the bolded bit? It desn't intimate anything really. It just tells you precisely what Anderson can do at times. It doesn't say he's always doing it or that it's the mainstay of his game.

From what I've seen of both players, Ronaldinho and Anderson are nothing alike and the comparisons being drawn between them are full of cliches rather than any comparative substance or analysis. People easily confuse default #10 play with traits of an individual or two...

I can't see any area of their respective games that cross-reference.. they both pass exceptionally well, but that's just basic good #10 play. Any playmaker of any worth can do that.

There is no need for such ridiculous hyperbole.

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That MEN article is a decent read. It's nice to Rivaldo coming out and giving him some compliments about his game. I hope he comes good but I'm far from stressing about it at the moment. He's a very young lad eith the world at his feet and, more importantly, time on his side...........

14. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    You've misread me there mate, I'm just saying that so far, he hasnt shown that dynamism and ability to go past players in a United shirt atm, what I meant was that he has the ability to do so, and he will do so (as appropriate) when he is fully settled into the pace of the English game...

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A Brasil or Manchester United jersey?

16. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    He asked about Richard Eckersley DS, not Adam.

17. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Ah you intimated it was a different style of play, nevermind. On this, yes, I'm sure he'll truly sprout and show everything he has when he's settled but you will always get an idea of what kind of player you have at default when nothing is going right for them or they're finding their feet in new settings because they'll rely on what they consider their failsafe and for Anderson that is clearly passing rather than dribbling, just as you saw with Ronaldo that it was dribbling and carrying the ball.

I have to say I'm surprised at how few tricks Anderson has done in a United shirt, actually. His youtubes suggest he's got a lot of them in his locker so I wonder when he'll feel assured enough to do them in England.

D'oh. It's not a very different report card between them, however.

18. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    No worries mate, it happens to the best of us (evidently! :p)..

I personally reckon that the pace and hurly-burley style of English football has been something of a culture shock to him. He looks the sort who needs time and space to his thing, once he adapts to the pace of the game over here, by that, I mean his thought process quickens up, he'll be fine...

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I felt today was his true debut. Not bit-part minutes on a flank closing out a game, or a game with a reserve side, today he had a full 1st xi squad out there with him and I think it clarifies my point about him not being 'right' for players of a lower level, but put him with higher-level thinkers and players and his game is just tremendous when it's in full-flight.

One game isn't indicative of anything definitively, but today we definitely had the lid llifted on the lad's true or truer level and I thought what we saw of that was brilliant.

20. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is amazing what some of these kids can do when they are actually needed. Not just asked to play a bit part, but given a chance to play their game.

21. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    They were given a chance to play their game against Coventry. The fact is hardly any of them did.

22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you surround Pique, Simpson, Evans, and Anderson with the team that was put out there at Coventry, it's hard to shine. Look what they did today.

23. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this match fully vindicated those of us who were pissed at Fergie's selection strategy for the Carling Cup...Simpson, Pique and Anderson looked like completely different players when playing with the first XI.

If only David Jones and G. Rossi had been given the same chance!

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great game from him today. It was fun to watch Anderson link up with Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney for practically an entire game. :)

25. skeeta

skeeta Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Central London
    Ridiculous hyperbole eh, whats was that again?:D