Analyst: Williams has yet to complete an attacking pass

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Matrim55, Nov 11, 2011.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not to mention that development occurs at club level. Play the best players and build the system.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Agreed, it is hard to avoid. However, Klinsmann more than avoid it has seemingly unapologetically jumped into a DM orgy. Maybe he thinks he can take these superior athlete types and bring out their inner Iniesta? Sometimes, I'd swear he's taunting Michael with all these choices with the hopes that he gets some message and presto we have an American Khedira. I can only hope.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Maybe he doesn't rate Mike as highly as you do, deejay. No conspiracy needed. Just a thought.

4. mannycoon

mannycoon Member

May 13, 2009
    Of course it was a problem, but at least we were capable of coming back from it. Not scoring ever or rarely creating chances is a worse a much problem. Not having Donovan certainly hasn't helped, but tactically were aren't pushing as many players into the attack and personnel wise we are using more limited offensive players. Certainly there is a better solution out there to not conceding early than giving up on attacking almost entirely.

5. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    A conservatively positioned winger?

Show me the whiteboard where Klinsmann positioned him out wide. You can't. Okay, explain Williams' role in the France game.

There is no other evidence.

Just read it. Think about it. Think some more. Play some soccer. Think some more. And then we can talk 'soccer+stats'.

Wrong. My problem is that a so called "key pass" is something completely subjective. The second problem, there is no definition of "key pass" or any other metric on the OPTA pages.
    And that's just two of many problems with those stats.

Read the thread. It covers some of the problems with stats and some solutions and ideas.

6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    If these were competitive matches, i.e., matches that actually count, you'd have a point on maybe one of those.

7. 7211

7211 World Class

Jun 28, 2010
    No, actually we WERE discussing that. That's why heatmaps and his field positioning was brought into the discussion. You were trying to argue that his field positioning was not anything resembling a RW. Your peanut sized brain was unable to separate the difference between a pregame whiteboard diagram (from the Honduras game) and actual player positioning, during the game, against France.

If the argument were over pregame tactics then you wouldn't still be arguing over what Danny Williams' actual positioning was during the game. No one really cares what the pregame whiteboard showed before the Honduras game. I don't even care what the whiteboard showed before the game against France. I care about what actually took place during the game.

I assume your best argument as to why Klinsmann had Danny Williams running around the field as a RW against France is still a picture of the pregame whiteboard before the friendly vs. Honduras.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    So we're not discussing Klinsmann's tactics?

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Makes no sense unless that was an attempt at snark. In a competitive match I'd be more interested in the result than anything else.

10. 7211

7211 World Class

Jun 28, 2010
    Against France, during the actual run of play, what position did Danny Williams' location on the field most closely resemble?

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen is only playing with 3 attacking players. In the JK "4-3-3" with Willilams we have:

GK: Howard
    Def: Dolo, Gooch/Goodson, Boca, Chandler
    Mids: Beckerman (DM), Williams (RCM), Edu (LCM). Note, it's an inverted triangle, but instead of a Barca style with Busquets as the DM and Xavi and Iniesta, we have Beckerman at the base with Williams and Edu the twin "attacking" mids.

Attackers: Shea (LM), Dempsey (hole/RM), Altidore (Striker).

There is no designated RM/RW in this stetup. It is asymmetrical. Dolo or Williams or Dempsey or Jozy can float our there.

------------Howard------------
    Dolo---Gooch----Boca---Chandler
    ------------Beckerman---------
    --------Williams----Edu--------
    -------------Dempsey-----Shea
    ------------Altidore-----------

If we really want to be taken seriously as an attacking force, then one or more of the following has to happen:

1) If we are going to go with a triangle in the middle + a WF, then at least 2 (if not 3) of those players must be players with genuine attacking skill and mindset. 1-2 of: Holden, F. Johnson, Torres, Feilhaber, Kljestan, Dempsey, Donovan, Adu, Davis, Gaven, Diskerud, Bedoya, or similar type players. Right now, JK is playing with 4 players in CM, and only one (Dempsey) is really an attacker.

2) Play with a real winger on the other side. Yes, I know beyond Donovan pickings are thin, but I'd like to see F. Johnson out there. Or try Chandler at RM and someone else at LB. Or Dempsey with another forward beside Altidore. Or Donovan in the middle (yet to have a roster with Clint and Landon there).

3) Play with two real forwards. Jozy isn't the best as a hold up man, and is not a threat in the air at all.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if all the evidence you have is one whiteboard for one match, then I have to ask how you know what you think you know.
    It wasn't fun. But you know what WAS fun?

Being able to score a damn goal!!! Jurgen's version of the US concedes the first goal but doesn't come back. Bob's version was inarguably better.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, different is not better. Bad defense, good offense is not better than good defense, bad offense.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The team organization has clearly improved. The offense will come along as the player selection evolves and Donovan gets back.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any supporting data for this speculation. The official lineup presented by ESPN listed a 4-5-1

...............Howard...............
    Dolo..Goodson..Boca..Chandler
    .................Edu..................
    ........Dempsey..Beckerman....
    ..Williams...................Shea..
    ................Altidore..............

Dempsey cleqarly has freedom from JK to go and find the game . Watching the game 3 times now and the charted data supports the stated formation.

16. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

.....Nooo...... Check the tapes.... That was definitely Bradley.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCusp6Lci8s"]Jerzy Altidore goal- FIFA Confederations Cup Spain vs USA - YouTube[/ame]

at like 0:01-0:02 ish.

You can tell because Clark half-heartedly calls for the ball and seems to contemplate making a run during Dempsey and Davies' exchance of passes, and that's a different guy from the one who passed it to Davies in the first place.

17. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    SPA2TACU5, can you at least agree that based on what you saw during the game, completely individual of the whiteboard drawing, was enough to make you think that Williams was a right midfielder?

18. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    let it go man....

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rate highly? Conspiracy? It's just an off the cuff musing after trying to make sense of the whole DM muddle.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly correct.

I watched the game live in Miami. He basically played as a withdrawn striker behind Altidore, who was the point/target player.

Dempsey roamed from touchline to touchline to support/show for the ball/find the game.

He worked hard but appeared a bit uncomfortable in the position, certainly a bit like it was new for him, which it was/is. He has stepped into the role a bit more since then.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checkout the highlights for the Honduras game and put this to bed!