Analyst: Williams has yet to complete an attacking pass

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Matrim55, Nov 11, 2011.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Actually the reason I rate Beasley ahead of Shea as a RM... is that Beasley has played the position semi-adequately at the club level, while I've never seen Shea even play it.

Thus I have the 4 guys that I've seen play the position ahead of Shea, who I've only seen as an LM.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    That's an interesting hypothesis, and I'm trying to think of what it could possibly stem from.

Could it be something that Martin Vasquez is whispering in Klinsi's ear? Kljestan and Vasquez (as asst. coach) were together at Chivas USA for nearly 3 years. Did they ever have any kind of personality clashes?

3. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    As I've previously pointed out in threads about the Ecuador and Honduras games:

Klinsmann is not playing Williams as a right winger.

EDIT:
    Exactly.

4. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Thanks for the reply. That's fair and reasonable.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    This didn't work at all against France because you had Ribery on the wing keeping Dolo back so we ended up with nothing on the right in attack.

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I thought your post was really well reasoned and stated, but this one is actually an area that's a negative in my mind. Not so much playing the dedicated 6, but the fact that due to his personnell decisions we've essentially traded the double 8 for the double 6.

The result being we're losing 1-0 instead of 4-2. It's cut off our nose to spite our face.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nah. I'm rewatching the game now. The central midfield is actually quite fluid and organized, something one would almost never see under the old regime.

Klinsmann needs to do something about the forwards and wide mids though.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Beckerman has been the unorthodox pick that's actually worked out. Dude fits the system quite well.

9. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this ^^^^

Its almost as if Klinsman is trying to put his stamp on this team just for the sake of stamping.

Kudos to Altidore for working his ass of last night.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    26 and 6, 31 and 7. Very nice by Edu and Rasta considering the opposition.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Forward players for the US are typically on an island against top teams, hence the smart move by Bradley to move Donovan and Dempsey to midfield.

12. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New pu$$y

13. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The system that's not working.

14. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree.

He is below the Mendoza Line for me. His defensive prowess does not make up for his fear on the ball, poor passing and total lack of offensive contributions.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Rasta made 31 successful passes for 7 unsuccessful with plenty of the former being forward passes. He's performing his job--generally that of a deep mid--well. This game he got forward a bit more with Edu playing more of positional role.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    System looks decent enough as the team no longer looks like a deer in headlights. Player selection sucks.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he is. I watched the game, it's clear as day the kid is lining up on the touchline and is the offensive catalyst for the right side, which produces nothing, shutting down half the field.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Agreement.

And heat maps have backed up what our eyes are telling us there.

19. mannycoon

mannycoon Member

May 13, 2009
    The white board shows him as sort of third pinched in CM, similar to what Bradley plays at Chievo, but his actual play on the field and his heat maps show him playing an advanced attacking role on the wing. So basically he's either playing the CM role completely against instructions or he's very playing poorly as a wing player. Neither option is really good.

20. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    This is how he's lined up and plays. He's surely not playing as a right winger.

[​IMG]

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that picture and it isn't the role he played.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all of the players in the pool, the system appears to maximize the strengths of Beckerman and Shea.

Edu, Williams, Dempsey and Altidore are being either played out of position or not being utilized to their capacity in this system.

We don't have a real 8 in the camp. Bradley and Jones, our two most pedigreed midfielders are on the bench.

2 shots on goal yesterday. 2 goals in 6 matches. Four 1-0 losses . .

23. mannycoon

mannycoon Member

May 13, 2009
    So not only is he playing poorly, he is playing completely against instructions.

24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Draw me a diagram of how you think Klinsmann put it on the whiteboard.

25. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    first, passing stats like this are dumb for this sport. second, williams is not comfortable playing a wide MF role (however you interpret the end-all "whiteboard").

you dont need stats to watch a game and see a player being used out of position and struggling. if the idea was to have extra defenders for ribery (not sure it was since we've played this way lately regardless), i'd have rather had an attacker out there to make ribery have to at least worry about coming back past midfield...

having johnson on earlier try and take on the defender (nice to see btw) may have limited ribery's impact more than having another DM out there.