Analysis: USA-SVN - Coulibaly (MLI)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hate to say it, but the second goal was NOT offsides. It was a perfectly timed run, wiht the attacker onsides but not by much. It was just perfect, and Gooch should have moved up to give him that offsides call as soon as he saw the pass going to that central midfielder looking for that pass.

2. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't the center AR having his arm raised an indication of an indirect free kick?

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    To be fair, hindsight is 20/20. I don't think anyone was expecting this match to be as close, hard-fought and demanding on the referee as it was. On paper, it looked like one of the more average matchups of the group stage.

He is a fairly experienced referee, with 11 years on the FIFA panel and multiple international tournaments on his resume. There really isn't anything to indicate that he couldn't handle what was expected to be a fairly straightforward match.

4. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Yes, which offside is. This is usually the way a referee (in addition to the raised flag by the AR) indicates an offside call.

5. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    To all the non-referees who are in the forum, welcome. Us refs often refer to the "moment of truth" in a match where the referee is called to step in and make the right call. This can be in the first half, 2nd half, it can be disallowing a goal, or sending off a player for Persistent infringement after a 2nd yellow. It takes guts and bravery sometimes and getting it right means all the difference in the control of the match.

After 10 seconds, it was obvious that the referee missed his chance. I'll take off the homer cap to say that Dempsey should have gone to the referee and begged for a yellow card as I saw him go up and cock his elbow into the Slovenian player. After he got off scott-free, I had doubts about how the rest of the game would go.

he looked scared to make a call, and scared to let an attack develop. Poor performance and I trust we wont be seeing any more of him. Or maybe FIFA will give him the france - South africa game or something.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you replay the live feed (not any of the replays), Edu runs towards goal and appears to put an arm on the defender's back.
    This source is the first I've seen suggesting that the call was "apparently for some shirt-pulling in the box."
    A replay from behind the opposite goal should provide a clearer view.
    The ref blew the whistle clearly before Edu made contact with the ball (imo).

7. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a number of comments on BS before the came about how he hadn't done enough big games, just the recent ACN final....too many of his tourney's only at youth level. There was some foresight here, at least, about this and it was proved correct.

8. taocpa

taocpa Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Bowie, MD USA
    Okay, I admit as an American, I am biased. I am a former referee (had to retire young due to disability), but I still love the game. I have watched the replay a bunch of times on the Edu no-goal. Here's what I saw:

1. As soon as the kick is taken, Coulibaly is blowing his whistle.
    2. While the ball is in flight, his arm is moving pointing direction.
    3. Edu scores, but the whistle had blown before the play had a chance to "play out."
    4. There is a blue shirt on the turf just as the ball is in the net. No offside, Michael Bradley is bearhugged. The goal is disallowed.

I don't know what foul he called. I still don't see anything. I always was taught and taught as a referee you let the players decide the game, not you.

In looking at this, Coulibaly was in over-his-head. He might be the best referee in Mali, but not at this level.

9. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but the AR didn't make that call, and the ref was poorly positioned to judge an offside infraction, so I assume he awarded an IFK for something else, real or perceived...If it was a shirt tug by Edu, I think that's the mildest (and least likely) thing that happened on that particular set play.

10. jahemion

jahemion New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK, a couple of observations.

I think you could have gone either way on the opening challenge. I was actually surprised that Dempsey was not cautioned for that challenge. The argument could have been made for a red, I think a yellow would have been fine. Again, I was surprised no card was given.

The Findley caution, I think that was a judgement call. The replay clearly shows that there was no hand ball. I don't know if the replay can be used for the challenge of a card. I don't fault the referee for giving the foul on that, though.

Slovenia's second goal. The player was onside and the goal was good.

The Edu goal that was disallowed, where was the foul?

I felt the referee did a poor job for a World Cup Final. I think he should be sent home.

11. srsmith111

srsmith111 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    - Dempsey should have been cautioned in the first foul.
    - The offside: I thought it was bad in real time. After several slow motion replays, I trust my first reaction, but just barely, I trust it less. It was much closer than I thought and in all honesty, when it's that close, you have to give the AR a pass either way. And considering the "when in doubt" rule of thumb, he did the right thing.
    - The card to Findley was laughable.
    - I do not believe there was any deliberate bias or "fix." Reasons posted by others above are very clear....but the reality is he called multiple very "iffy" calls against the US in the penalty area to negate goal scoring chances (and one "good" goal).

So the question is... "why?" Clearly he was over his head. He may be the best referee in the universe on another day, but today he was over his head.

But there is another reason. It's very rare for the FIFA referee committee to announce that a call was wrong during the world cup. It's rare enough that it sends a message to all other officials at the tournament. "The committee thinks that was a huge screw up or they would NEVER publicly humiliate a referee for it." The next step in logic is. "I am not about to make that error. Any contact by an attacker in the box will be interpreted as an attempt to keep the defender out of the play. Foul coming out." It's what he did. The reason it seemed one sided... (all those against the US attack in the second half) is because the US was lobbing ball after ball into the penalty area in the second half.... The reason was not bias, it was a determination not to be singled out for humiliation.

I have watched every match except Germany Serbia (which I will watch tonight) hands down IMO, Irmatov had the best performance, this guy had the worst. I will be surprised if he gets a second match.

On a fan note, it will be very interesting to see post match interviews and follow the US reaction to this.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Bradley was mugged on the same play. So if anything, you let them play on

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Even though Edu is the one who scored?
    Would he have been in position to score had he not (apparently) tugged the back of a defender's shirt?

14. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has an African referee done well so far? I guess Damon was the only one who did ok, unless I'm forgetting someone.

16. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I believe that this is what got called.
    I also believe that it is a direct result of the Argentina goal, where the attackers held the defenders back so an advancing, unmarked attacker could have a free strike on the ball. I didn't realize that FIFA had said anything about that play, but, Bob Evans, definitely wrote about it. Actually, it is Ed Bellion that wrote saying the goal should have been disallowed in Bob's blog:
    http://fortheintegrityofsoccer.blog...-v-mexico-eds-observations-comments.html#more

While seeing the replay in toto, it seems that Bocanegra was much more folued against, if the ref turned his attention to that grappling contest late, then he may have seen Bocanegra's reversal (2 points) as shielding. And then it is very similar to the Argentina goal.

If the referee had this memo from the FIFA referee committee in mind, then a propensity to make this call becomes a reasonable assumption.

Quoting other news sources:
    The Fifa referees’ committee released their findings on Tuesday, as a guide for future judgments in this year’s tournament. And among other rulings, they made it clear to referees that they must watch for infractions at corners and free-kicks - specifically attacking players blocking markers, as happened on Saturday. ... Although the ruling comes too late for Nigeria, it has interesting implications for the rest of the tournament; a sign that Fifa will not tolerate the pushing, shoving and holding commonplace on both sides at dead-ball situations, and that in future such offences will be punished with either disallowed goals or penalties in the case of the defence committing an infraction.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/16122/fifa-slams-ref-over-argentine-goal.php

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Hey guys, I've got to go so there'll be nobody actively moderating this thread. Someone will respond to reported posts so if anything comes up that is inappropriate please use the [​IMG] button.

Inappropriate includes accusations of fixing/bias and any sort of non-constructive/non-analytical venting that belongs in the US forums. First and foremost we want this to be a source of considered analysis for anybody genuinely interested in sorting out exactly what happened during the match.

To anybody thinking of playing while the cat is away - just because we don't get to it immediately doesn't mean we won't get to it eventually. And we'll probably be grumpier if there's a mess to clean up when we get back. ;)

Thanks guys. Once again, commiserations to the US fans out there.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Is this guy going to give any post-match interviews or explanations beyond the match report? Or is that just not done?

19. spectre013

spectre013 Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Another wider shot of the mess as the ball was coming in. If he was calling attackers blocking or holding defenders it has to be looked at the other way as well.

The ratio is well skewed in the solvina direction.

[​IMG]

20. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    So how soon after the matches are the referee reports releases (if at all)?

21. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it speaks volumes that the called back goal is not even in the video highlights package on the FIFA website.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    FIFA's media unit doesn't permit referees to interact with journalists, or indeed make any form of public statement.

I dare say a spokesperson for the Referees Committee will issue some kind of statement. Traditionally FIFA has backed their referees to the hilt publically and carried out any sort of discipline behind closed doors, but the last couple of tournaments they have hung referees out to dry on occassion. See Ivanov after NED-POR in 2006, for example.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21045031&postcount=56

I'd love to find a telescoping stick that I could use as a flag handle/cane. :)

3 and 4 aren't worth talking about.

Other analysis belongs in the US men's forum.

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try to be fair to refs (I was not outraged at anything in US-Italy in 06) but that was a below rec level display. Phantom handball cards, fouls,goal disallowed and a couple of yellows not given, including Dempsey.

25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd just like to know what Coulibaly's call actually was on the Edu disallowed goal.